Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-07-2017, 08:25 PM   #21

The problem with waiting too long to plug in an engine block heater is in the case that the coolant actually freezes. When it does, it expands. When it expands inside of an enclosed space, it does damage to the weak link in the system. That's either the radiator or the freeze plugs. Or both. Either one will cause coolant leaks, lost operating time, shop costs, and possible overheating at some future point the system loses enough coolant. And if it's not warm enough when started, the engine may never reach full operating temp. That isn't good for oil circulation, or wear and tear on internal engine components. That's why they get shorter life when operated too far below normal operating temp.
Old 01-09-2017, 12:19 PM   #22
Site Team

I got this from etrailer today. Anyone have any experience that may indicate that this may be a substitute for a factory block heater?

Kat's Heaters Handi-Heat Magnetic Heater w/ Thermostat - 120V - 3-5/8" x 2-1/4" Kats Heaters Vehicle Heaters KH1153
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 12:42 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I got this from etrailer today. Anyone have any experience that may indicate that this may be a substitute for a factory block heater?

Kat's Heaters Handi-Heat Magnetic Heater w/ Thermostat - 120V - 3-5/8" x 2-1/4" Kats Heaters Vehicle Heaters KH1153
I used a similar one from Kats after my factory heater died. I first attached it to the oil pan but the truck didn't start easy under 20 degrees, then found a flat area on the block which warmed the water and it always started right up. I had it plugged into a 20 amp timer to go on at 3 in the morning, it may have worked on the oil pan if I gave it a few more hours to warm everything but they do work.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote