Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-09-2016, 10:30 PM   #1

Boots and ball joints

I was shown a safety inspection sheet to prove to me that my 9 year old tires were ok when I bought my 2007 Jayco Seneca. I wasn't given that sheet but I requested one when I signed the papers. I was looking at it and noticed an issue - an "advise" on the line that read "suspension". On the bottom under inspector's comments, it read "ruptured grease boots upper and lower ball joints front suspension". I had noticed that there was a lot of noise coming from under there - is that what is causing it? How serious is this? How could it pass a safety inspection with this issue? I called about an estimate and I was told it could be as much as $2,000!! I just don't understand how anyone - this was the state of Utah - could pass this rig if it had an issue this big. I have so much to learn about this rig and so much to repair. I really didn't need to see this right now - but better safe than sorry. I'll await repairs until I get some advice from the experts here. Thank you!!
ShutterBugBev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 04:11 PM   #2

The boots on ball joints hold the grease in the ball and socket. They also keep contaminants from getting in the ball joint.

So a vehicle can have perfectly operating ball joints, they could be tight and not at all a safty issue, with bad/ripped/not seated ball joint boots.

How long will the ball joint last with torn boots? Could be a long time if you drive on dry roads with no sand or dirt.

Your best bet for now is to grease them often (every 1000 miles or less) with a water proof marine grease.

To correct the problem you will have to get new ball joints (they come with new boots) installed as the spindle has to be removed anyway to replace just the boots.

A word of caution when you get them replaced.
Make sure the installer gets the boots completely seated on the ball joint before completing the installation.
I have seen lazy or dumb installers replace ball joints without completely seating the boot on the ball joint. Water sand and dirt get inside and within a couple of years they need new ones again.
Also make sure they are replaced with high quality replacements... OEM, or Moog makes good replacements front end parts.
Reese SC Weight Distrubition with sway control (12,000lb)
Jhowemca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 04:36 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhowemca View Post
The boots on ball joints hold the grease in the ball and socket. They also keep contaminants from getting in the ball joint.

So a vehicle can have perfectly operating ball joints, they could be tight and not at all a safty issue, with bad/ripped/not seated ball joint boots.

How long will the ball joint last with torn boots? Could be a long time if you drive on dry roads with no sand or dirt.

Your best bet for now is to grease them often (every 1000 miles or less) with a water proof marine grease.

To correct the problem you will have to get new ball joints (they come with new boots) installed as the spindle has to be removed anyway to replace just the boots.

A word of caution when you get them replaced.
Make sure the installer gets the boots completely seated on the ball joint before completing the installation.
I have seen lazy or dumb installers replace ball joints without completely seating the boot on the ball joint. Water sand and dirt get inside and within a couple of years they need new ones again.
Also make sure they are replaced with high quality replacements... OEM, or Moog makes good replacements front end parts.

X2 you need to have the front end checked out by a Good tech.
And as stated above use only OEM parts or moog.
lx22f/c is offline   Reply With Quote