Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-29-2017, 01:33 AM   #21

Demand for RV's is at an all time high. Build em and get em out the door. I read an article a while back that the turnover for workers in the RV industry is 100%. You cannot build a quality product if you cannot keep a properly trained work force. DW was in a production meeting years ago, the boss said we have to build our product better, faster, cheaper. The head of Quality Control told the boss "pick two". Same goes building any product. Still, no excuse for the junk coming out of Indiana these days.

Charlie & Lizzie the Mini Dachshunds
2008 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 30.5 RLS
2015 F350 Lariet Crew Cab Long Bed 6.7 Diesel B&W Companion Hitch
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not.
Witt74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 07:51 AM   #22

I guess ill chime in due to my recent displeasure with the overall quality of my new TT. I am frustrated and if I had it to do all over again, I don't think I would have bought my TT. I'm seriously considering selling it while I can still get something out of it. Its not just a Jayco problem, it's an industry problem.

The scenario WITT74 holds true with most any product. Customer demand is pretty much saying that the quality and price must be acceptable because we are selling them in record numbers. What pressure is there to change? A bunch of people complaining on a forum that they don't care about?
I think complaints are higher now because there are many new people getting into the RV market. Their expectations of quality are quite high. They expect the quality bar to be equal to automobiles and TVs. Automotive manufacturers were putting out crap back in the 70s and 80s and along came the Japanese. Through years of pain US automakers either had to get better or go away. Don't be surprised if China starts making RVs. It sounds far fetched but I've seen it in other industries.
Jflyboym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 11:43 AM   #23

All this discussion on all these problems kinda makes me want to not get a new TT.
It's a lot of hard earned money to get something that is that troublesome.
I wonder if the Jayco management is aware of these issues. I know that they are under the Thor umbrella now but my understanding was that current principals are still running the show.
bluegill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 12:01 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegill1 View Post
All this discussion on all these problems kinda makes me want to not get a new TT.
It's a lot of hard earned money to get something that is that troublesome.
I wonder if the Jayco management is aware of these issues. I know that they are under the Thor umbrella now but my understanding was that current principals are still running the show.
My wife and I just got back from looking at small enclosed cargo trailers. We're very close to going back to tent camping for exactly the reasons you mention. Of course we'll be GLAMPING so we will bring a lot of luxuries - hence the little trailer.

To be honest we also miss the State Park locations we used to visit prior to the RVs.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 06:40 PM   #25

I hear ha jopopsy.
We used to love to go to Tipsaw Lake but have not been since we got the TT because they don't have hookups at most of the sights and they are small. We had a blast there in tents and our pop up.
Old 07-29-2017, 06:50 PM   #26
Site Team

I would not be so hasty as to assume you will get a bad one. Most owners who have a unit performing as expected will never post about it. Our initial quality and quality after two years polls show a majority are satisfied with their rv.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 09:19 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jflyboym View Post
The scenario WITT74 holds true with most any product. Customer demand is pretty much saying that the quality and price must be acceptable because we are selling them in record numbers. What pressure is there to change? A bunch of people complaining on a forum that they don't care about?
I think complaints are higher now because there are many new people getting into the RV market. Their expectations of quality are quite high. They expect the quality bar to be equal to automobiles and TVs. Automotive manufacturers were putting out crap back in the 70s and 80s and along came the Japanese. Through years of pain US automakers either had to get better or go away. Don't be surprised if China starts making RVs. It sounds far fetched but I've seen it in other industries.
Talk about hitting the nail on the head; pretty insightful stuff right there.

2016 Melbourne 24K
2014 Flight Swift SLX 184BH (sold)

PHOTO ALBUMS:
2016 Melbourne 24K Mods, Tips, Info
Ortak's 2017 Melbourne 24K mods
KST-184BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 04:58 AM   #28

Thank you.
Honestly I Love the RV lifestyle and I like others am having a hard tim swallowing the whole "well that's just the way it is" from the experienced people. What I found is that from the standpoint of build quality, service and overall value, they speak the truth. They are 100 percent correct, it's just not what I expected. When I first started reading in forums about people recommending that others fix small warranty stuff on their RV because it will take months to get it done at the dealer I was like are you kidding? They are correct. If you want to use it you better learn how to work on it. It's going to break. Period. If you are handy and can do most of the work yourself it may be your cup of tea.

Some people say that if you want to have better build quality you can buy an Airstream which is probably true but you have to spend roughly 8 times the money to get a comparable Airstream. That's a big jump that most people can't or won't take for what I am sure is a nice unit but not 8 times better. Id pay double for double better build quality.

This guys stuff on the subject I is pretty good and objective:

https://youtu.be/GD8rYnKC2XY
Old 07-30-2017, 04:59 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jflyboym View Post
Thank you.

This guys stuff on the subject I is pretty good and objective:

https://youtu.be/GD8rYnKC2XY

Can you summarize please?
Watching him drive thru Corpus Christi isn't my idea of entertainment!

Seriously - we're back from a two week roadtrip, and this is Season 2 for our 2016 Greyhawk.

I've had to recaulk around the countertops.
Retighten a number of fittings back by the water pump to stop the leaks.

Replace the drawer bottom (Thank you Jayco for using 4.67mm ply in a 5mm plywood world...).

And just repaired a couple of broken cabinet doors. Their cope and stick joinery isn't much to shout about. If they do glue the rails / stiles, they must use precious little of it. And then they pin the joints with 23g pins. Sometimes I see one to hold it until the glue sits, sometimes I see where they've shot four.

I get it, as I've made my fair share of cabinet doors - it's all about speed.
I'll occasionally pin the joints too -- but I only need one shot to make it. Not four.

Staples shout "speed" over quality too.

There are about 12 other things on the Fix list.

Frankly, as I enter year 3 of Motorhome life, I can't imagine owning one of these things if you're not semi-handy and willing to tackle these jobs.

That's not being critical of those who have higher expectations, just my own personal epiphany.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote