Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-19-2011, 07:11 PM   #1

Thumbs down Burn in failures

I've had my Greyhawk 31DS for about 5 weeks now and have had it in to have the drain line from the kitchen sink and shower to the grey tank replaced and re-routed due to it's being laid on top of a helper spring.

Now I am concerned because there are supply hoses on the other side of the coach which also rub the leaf spring, and some evidence of damage to a metal plate being hit by said leaf spring.

Last week, on our second trip, I noticed the dinette slide out making strange sounds and not moving evenly. Today it got stuck and I had to "help" it along in order to get it to go back in. It appears to be off track.

I am growing concerned about the workmanship that has gone into both the design and construction of the coach at this point. Has anyone else experienced these kind of burn in failures?

Does Jayco need to be told that leaf springs and suspension systems in general are associated with what are known as "moving parts" which should not be placed in direct contact with what may be referred to as "fixed parts" or parts that do not move as the moving parts may inflict damage to fixed parts by said movement? Is a functioning slide out an unrealistic expectation?

Time for a second trip back to the dealer for major work.
pkanalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 12:01 PM   #2

Yes, they need to know. Don't know if anyone from Jayco monitors this site our not. Probably not although it would be a great idea for them.
We have had our issues also with a new 2011 Melbourne. To me it's a quality control issue.
Does anyone inspect the mh's before they leave the factory? Does anyone at the dealer inspect the mh's before excepting them from the factory?
I may be wrong but I really don't think that I should be finding quality workmanship issues during a walk-around inspection. That stuff should have been found and fixed long before I came along.
Tom Copeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:59 AM   #3

slideout resolution

Posting this in case anyone else runs into any slideout issues....

The slideouts on this unit are Schwintek, as demonstrated here:

One of the tracks on mine became obstructed causing the motors to alternate back and forth to compensate for the obstruction. They greased the tracks and reset the control panel to resolve this.

I'm told that there are 3 important take aways from this:

1) To avoid the "confusing" the control panel, always run the slide completely in and completely out without stopping or reversing mid-travel. When it becomes "confused," it may start compensating for travel problems it thinks are there but aren't. The board will need to be reset.

2) Periodically inspect and maintain the 4 tracks, keeping them free from obstruction and properly lubricated.

3) If a reset is needed, the procedure is
-run the slideout all the way in and let off the switch
-hit and release "In" again quickly
-hit and release "Out" quickly

The video also shows how to manually operate the slideout if you are in a pinch and need to do that.

Hope this helps, and happy RV'ing all!
Old 08-30-2011, 12:00 PM   #4

The other 2 issues have been resolved by securing the hoses away from the leaf spring, and the metal plate has been rebuilt and redesigned as well.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:22 PM   #5

Watched the video(s). Very informative.
I've not seen the "controller" that's described.
Where is it located in my Melbourne. Manual does not address a controller.
Tom Copeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 03:38 PM   #6

I haven't located the controller itself to see what they show in the video. My hunch is it is buried and not meant to be readily accessible unless being serviced. I'm told the reset procedure that I described resets it without having access to the controller, although I can't verify that the procedure has actually reset it without having a problem first.