Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-02-2014, 06:42 PM   #11
We bought a 238rb in Sept. We are taking it back to the dealer where we bought it 150 miles away for a few minor repairs. The closest dealer said they only do warranty repairs on units they didn't sell in Dec and Jan if they have time available. Guess where we won't be buying our next one. It was worth the 150 miles to save $4000.

2014 238rb
bumbles75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 06:21 AM   #12
I had the same problem. I was not outright rejected but was told it would be a long wait.
I'd say the best thing a person could do is get that internet price and take it to a local dealer. I bet they will match it or come pretty darn close. Then, you've got the best of both worlds.

tawoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 06:03 PM   #13
I believe in most dealerships the Sales and repair departments are different profit centers... so it is to the repair shops advantage to take on the work weather or not it was purchased at the dealer. If it is warranty work they get paid the same no matter where the coach was purchased and if I was told that my unit would not be serviced because I bought from them 1. I would not buy from them 2. everyone that asks about my unit and even thought about buying one I'd tell that person not to use the dealer that refused the work... when he starts to loose more sales he will figure it out...And I would have no problem in sending him a letter to that fact and I would copy the head of Jayco Sales/Marketing as well the head of customer service/warranty Jayco can not afford to have dealers turn away repairs... they may tout the independent dealers choice but I would quickly remind them it is a stain on the Brand.... far bigger than you think... Just look at how many folks here are looking at these post... It works... may take some time.... but it works!
davidki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 09:49 AM   #14
I spoke with Jayco Warranty department. They told me that they do not require that their dealers service all units. The dealers are allowed to refuse to service units not purchased from them. This policy is to cut down on the "internet" sales of RVs. There are many dealers that sell for a small profit on a large RV knowing that they don't have to take care of any of the service issues or take on any risk in the deal. That's how they can sell so inexpensively. Both the local dealers to me sell their new Seneca units $25,000 - $40,000 more than the internet dealers. I spoke with the owner. He's a nice guy but bottom line he is in business to make money. As long as people with spend the extra $30,000 for a motorhome locally he will continue to sell them at that large markup. The internet dealers do have fantastic pricing however if you have a trade-in you have a major problem. Most internet dealers do take trades however they will only give you pennies on the dollar. For example a local dealer was willing to give me $70,000 for my trade however a large internet dealer in Texas was only willing to give me $30,000 less which is well under wholesale book. If we can privately sell our rig locally and then purchase from out of state you can get a screaming deal. The only caveat is you are on your own getting service. You may be able to get some service if you are reasonable and take the out of state dealer license plate covers off. The other consideration has to do with state lemon law coverage. If you purchase out of state in many states you lose all protection from state lemon laws. I would use internet pricing to pressure the local dealer to be more reasonable however if it is a popular unit don't expect to get closer than about $10 more than the internet dealer.

Old setup:
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 LT with a 2004 Jayco JayFlight 29BHS
2014 Greyhawk 31FS with a 2007 Tahoe toad
New setup:
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 with a 2007 Tahoe toad
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote

precept, service, warranty