Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-15-2015, 01:56 PM   #1

Can you run 245/75R16 on a Greyhawk 31SS?

I'm planning on replacing all the tires on my Greyhawk before Spring. I've been looking online at many tire brands, sizes and prices. I know the original tires are 225/75R16. I've found some Goodyear Wrangler HT 245/75r16/ 10 ply for a good price - actually about $20 less per tire than the 225 size. Is the 245 too big for a Greyhawk?
Widewader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 02:59 PM   #2

I personally would not run any tire size on my RV than that which is recommended.
I could not find the dual wheel load rating info, which is needed to check against your rear tire load requirements. I Would also question the taller tires clearance between tires on the rear set. They must not touch.

I have never run Good Year tires. But these are E rated for load and R rated for speed. If the load matches and the tires mount properly, it may work, but I would find a commercial truck tire company to confirm its a good idea.
TX_Arvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 03:36 PM   #3

As TX said you definitely don't want the sidewalls rubbing which could happen with the larger width.
Old 01-15-2015, 04:57 PM   #4

Ford E-350 Van's come with 245/75R16's. Ford E-450's come with 225/75R16's. Will the 245 work ? Sure, but if Ford thought it better to Spec the 225 on the dually chassis shouldn't you follow suit ? You're call obviously.

My input though would also be to look at other tires. I owned a bus company for 15 years. We had buses of all sizes but our smallest were Ford E-350 15 passenger Vans. Those units all came stock from Ford with the Wrangler HT's and we absolutely hated the tire. Terrible in the rain and snow (especially after 20% wear or so). Mushy ride (soft sidewalls) and they also wore out very quickly. The Michelin's (LTX M/S's) we always replaced them with could easily give us 60,000+ miles where the Wranglers were toast in 25-30,000.

I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure that all of the E-450 Mini-buses (24 ish passenger) that we purchased over the years (same chassis as the Greyhawk) came from Ford with Michelin's.

Visited in our 2011 Greyhawk 31DS
busguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 06:14 AM   #5

Increasing the tire size is the same thing as taking gear out of the truck. You will notice a reduction in pulling power, and also probably a reduction in gas mileage since the truck is having to work harder.

I already fought these battles on my dually. It performs best with the tire sizes prescribed by the manufacturer.

BTW, the best deals I've found on tires are at tirebuyer.com.
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote