Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-14-2015, 01:49 PM   #1

Canadian Propane Suppliers

Good Day All,

Has anyone been able to locate a reliable map for propane suppliers. In particular I am looking for Canadian locations. I had noticed even in my TT days that the number of places filling portable tanks was shrinking. Now with the on board tank, I am more then a little concerned that this may provide a rather daunting challenge. The online lists that I have found were completely inaccurate as the two locations closest to me have not had propane service in a couple of years.

In 11 days of travel since purchase, we have burned throuugh a little more then a quarter tank of propane. My plan is to never let it drop below a 1/4 tank so I suspect in my normal travel year I will have to fill the tank twice. Careful planning on my trips will hopefully see me hit locations between 1/4 and 1/2 where I can fill up... But I am a Boyscout at heart and always want to be prepared in case of emergency.

Thanks in advance!
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 09:43 AM   #2

Flying J's in Canada all sell propane.. lots of places do.. BUT watch out in resort towns.. (like Banff) the dealers there stopped selling as every time they got someone certified to sell propane they moved to a different job..
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 10:48 AM   #3

Not in Ontario

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
Flying J's in Canada all sell propane.. lots of places do.. .
Sadly in Ontario not all Flying J's do, at least according to there own literature. There are a dozen or so Flying J locations here and only three of them are listed as selling propane. The nearest being about two hours from me. And most of the FJ's are along the 401 corridor which can be helpful to and from the campground, but not so much when you are up in Algonquin or some other Northern park. My biggest concern remains that moment when you are 3 days into a 7 day trip and suddenly wake in a cold sweat in the middle of the night because you realize you left the BBQ running. In the morning you go to the front desk of the campground and the pimply faced 17 year old behind the desk looks at you blankly as they try to tell you how to get to "Frank's Tank Swap" having no idea how propane works on a MH.

It suprises me with all the camping resources we have out there that there is not a reliable online map with locations marked. At least my searches have not revealed one yet...

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Old 07-15-2015, 12:00 PM   #4

One way is to create an account with Gas Buddy ( Ontario Gas Prices - Find Cheap Gas Prices in Ontario )

Search the area you are in and then click on the gas station to see if propane is listed.
coondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 06:12 PM   #5

If you are looking to fill your on board tank, try U-Haul. I believe they all have the propane for vehicles and portable tanks.
Marshmellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 02:53 PM   #6

You can also check Canadian Tire gas bars as well. Here in Trenton, On the sell propane. Thanks coondog for the gas buddy idea. I just checked and the stations near me and I can see if the sell propane. The Canadian Tire is listed as selling propane. Cheers.
2013 Jeep Wrangler
Blue Ox Tow Package
Blog: https://mfalcontraveler.wordpress.com/
MFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 03:37 PM   #7

Most small towns in cottage areas have at least 1 propane fill station or an exchange station. Gotta keep the barbies burning!!
Roadwarrior56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 05:00 PM   #8

You just hit the nail on the head!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadwarrior56 View Post
Most small towns in cottage areas have at least 1 propane fill station or an exchange station. Gotta keep the barbies burning!!
RoadWarrior... You just proved my point My MH has an onboard 56lb propane tank. I can not go to an exchange station, I need locations that are set up with a gas station style post to refill propane powered vehicles. I know all of the places near me that sell propane are set up to only refill removeable tanks, you can not drive up to them.

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Old 07-18-2015, 05:43 PM   #9

Ah......ok then.
Roadwarrior56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 07:24 PM   #10

This is a great product available at Amazon.com, Sturgi-stay Deluxe Propane Adapter Kit for RV's, Campers, Motorhomes. The Sturgi-Stay propane adapter kit is used to allow RV owners be able to hook their propane system to an auxiliary LP cylinder to avoid the need to move the motor coach when staying in one location for extended periods of time. Deluxe Kit option also comes with a 12' bulk adapter hose to power a small portable appliance. The kit includes a Sturgi-Stay Fitting, a 5' POL X Inverted Flare fill hose and a 12' bulk adapter hose. We used this system for many years and it worked great. If the main tank in the MH ran out we could hook up a 20# tank to hold us over until we could refill it.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote