Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-25-2016, 07:08 PM   #1

CAUTION-Molding 2016 37TS Jayco Seneca

Howdy,
Like to warn other Jayco Seneca owners out there. We purchased our 2016 Seneca several months ago. Have only 3500 miles on it, 1000 are ours.
This past weekend we took the grand kids on a weekend camping trip. On the way there I heard a loud thud come from the back of the coach and then silence. My wife said, "The molding fell off the large slide out and missed our granddaughter by less than an inch". At the first opportunity I was able to look at the damage and saw that the "Amish Craftsmanship" was actually shoddy work that almost injured our 6 yoa granddaughter. This piece of molding is heavy and had pointed staples sticking out of it. If it would have hit her it would have caused some nasty injuries. I am attaching some pictures so you can look at yours to possibly attach some screws to make it more secure.

It definitely is not secure as currently installed. For a coach that cost this much I would expect a bit more pride in workmanship. Shame on the quality control inspector on this one.!

Click image for larger version

Name:	RV molding1.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	25029

Name:	RV molding2.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	25030

Name:	RV molding3.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	25031

Name:	RV molding4.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	25032
2012 Ford F-350 Dually
rollon52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 08:43 PM   #2

Need to check it out!

I to have 2016 Seneca with just over 3k on it. Guess I better check those moldings before my grandkids travel with us.
Joe1mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 08:57 PM   #3

I had same problem om my 09 I had to carefully remove the small molding in the middle of the larger piece and put screws in it then replace the smaller molding to hide the screws. Amish craftsmanship. ever look at the screws that holds lamp over dinette ?
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 09:09 PM   #4

I had the same issue with my 2016 Eagle. The center piece of the molding over the slide popped off. just barely held on with pin nails that weren't long enough to get a bite. Put some heavy duty double stick molding tape between where it doesn't show & the shot some longer finish nails in. Then a little matching wood putty over holes & is good to go.

Bill
2016 314 TSBH
2017 F250 XLT 4wd
Propride 3P
Little Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 10:15 PM   #5

Amish craftmanship !!!! ...what a joke ...

Ford F 150 Ecoboost Tow Max 3.73 2014

Equalizer hitch 1000/10000
homer1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 09:07 AM   #6

Our rear window treatment fell off and the ones around the dinette were loose but were caught before they fell.
Mr.Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 10:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1959 View Post
Amish craftmanship !!!! ...what a joke ...
Amish Craftsmanship really isn't a joke but Jayco using that phrase is. I live in Amish country here in PA and at night you can hear the laughter coming from the Amish graveyards whenever someone talks about "Jayco's" and "Amish Craftsmanship"
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 11:12 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedrck46 View Post
Amish Craftsmanship really isn't a joke but Jayco using that phrase is. I live in Amish country here in PA and at night you can hear the laughter coming from the Amish graveyards whenever someone talks about "Jayco's" and "Amish Craftsmanship"
i did not express myself properly, you are absolutly right, Jayco Amish is THE JOKE ..... sorry if i have offended someone from the Amish community.

Ford F 150 Ecoboost Tow Max 3.73 2014

Equalizer hitch 1000/10000
homer1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 02:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1959 View Post
i did not express myself properly, you are absolutly right, Jayco Amish is THE JOKE ..... sorry if i have offended someone from the Amish community.
No, I think most of us get what you meant. And I think many agree with you. Jayco uses the term, but in reality, there are probably only a few places where the "craftsmanship" is actually used. The game is to convey the idea that the whole coach is put together by people who take their time to get it right. In reality, it's no different than any other motorhome manufacturer in assembly. In design, I think Jayco does a superior job. In assembly, they do a great job most places. In a few, though, the hurry they put their people through shows up as forgotten and half-assed procedures. Better than most, but a few get through with problems.
Old 06-26-2016, 07:04 PM   #10

We had a similar issue in our '15 FK - the entire top moulding on the main slide separated from the backing while we were on the road and just sort of hung there. Luckily, the attachments at each end held until we could get it fixed. Same issue - pin-like nails and staples that just couldn't hold the weight of the wood trim.
2014 Honda CR-V toad

anav8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 07:14 PM   #11

Glue is a curse word in the RV manufacturing industry
Old 06-26-2016, 07:50 PM   #12

Reminds me of those "seen on tv" electric fireplaces. You know the ones where the pitch is in some sort of Amish woodworking shop and in the background are Amish workers sanding and staining these cheap POS fireplaces with the real look electric fire that is "imported Asian technology" (IE - made in China")

Jayco hires an Amish workforce , has nothing to do with Amish Craftsmanship.
1996 Viking Pop-up
1979 Coleman 8 man cabin tent
1967 G.I Joe (hasbro) canvas pup tent
THE MEEKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 09:48 PM   #13

Yep, the large trim on our 2015 Seneca main slide came loose. I replaced the staples with real nails. That trim would hurt someone if it fell in them.
While we are on the subject of workmanship, keep a eye on the cabinet doors, all my doors in the kitchen, and above the couch had to be replaced. The corners came apart!
The only good thing about all this is Jayco is very prompt in taking care of issues like this.
Mwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 09:56 PM   #14

I built cabinets for a couple of years when I was a young man. We used nails, glue, and then used clamps on all the joints. They weren't coming apart! Oh, I'm not Amish, I'm Okie!
I would like to say I've been to Pennsylvania, and seen all the Amish wood craftsmanship, they do first class work, and it is is beautiful!
Mwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 07:41 AM   #15

I just returned from a 5,000 mile trip out West and while on the road had one of the long horizontal upper trim boards come loose from the kitchen slide of my '14 TS. Never completely fell, but one more good bump and it probably would have. Thank goodness the wife was sitting back there and saw it hanging down.

It partially dislodged the large center trim piece, but it didn't fall. As others have said, originally just some air nailer finishing nails held it all together. No evidence of any glue or construction adhesive. Doomed to fail on rough roads! I put everything back with ring shank finishing nails, hopefully those keep things in place. Now that I am home I will do the other side too to prevent what seems to be a somewhat common "flaw" in the construction of our units.

Don't you wish we could have put our own units together from the ground up? I think it most cases the engineering is sound, it is just the execution on the shop floor where things seem to go wrong.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 09:17 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwade View Post
Yep, the large trim on our 2015 Seneca main slide came loose. I replaced the staples with real nails. That trim would hurt someone if it fell in them.
While we are on the subject of workmanship, keep a eye on the cabinet doors, all my doors in the kitchen, and above the couch had to be replaced. The corners came apart!
The only good thing about all this is Jayco is very prompt in taking care of issues like this.
The corners came apart on my cabinet door below the rear tv. Jayco replaced under warranty.
Mr.Oz is offline   Reply With Quote