Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-02-2017, 11:45 AM   #1

Change out Fresh Water Tank....Bigger Tank

I asked this question before....
Coming from a Class A motorhome with 70 gallon fresh water, to jayco 2015 29mv, my greatest disappointment is the measly 33 gallon ffesh water tank...
People complain about the instant Hot Water system wasting water upon start-up, if one had adequate fresh water capacity this would be less of an issue.
We boondock a lot, so having to fill up the fresh water with country fill using 5 gallon cans from an available potable water source does help, but still is a lot of work.
So am wondering if there is a way to change out the 33 gallon tank to one at least 50 gallon, maybe up to 60-70 gallons,
Sure there is extrra weight, but this larger water capacity would be well worth the effort to pay for and install in my opinion...
If I had to do it all over again I would have bought another brand, with larger enclosed water tanks, those heat wires on the tanks are a joke, the wires were dangling all over the place, and one night on 12v. dry camping would suck the battery dead for sure.
Old 03-02-2017, 12:56 PM   #2

Those are a couple of the "things I wish were different" on our Greyhawk too: bigger Fresh Water tank (our old Coachman was 50 gallon), a second A/C unit (evidently now an option) and room for 2 (or more) coach batteries.

I've crawled underneath our 31FK and swapping the FW tank looks like a real task. So, for now, it's carry 15 gallons in containers.

FWIW - when I was looking at a new tank for the old coach, I found a site that must've had 3 dozen or more different shapes and sizes. If you're determined to do it, I'll be you can find something that could work with less retrofit pain.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 05:47 PM   #3

Our Two 6v. Golf Batteries in 29mv Jayco

we put the two 6v. batteries in the storage box next to the 12v. slide out door (to the right of the slide door), and had the floor of the box re-enforced as pictured...
the one 12v. battery would not do much for dry camping, one overnight would deplete it...especially running heater fan, or TV etc...
I found the lack of extra batteries and of course the meager fresh water capacity the two biggest drawbacks to our Jayco, 2015 Greyhawk 29mv.
So the battery situation is fixed, now onto a bigger, I hope fresh water tank...
Attached Thumbnails
20150704_104644.jpg   20150704_105009.jpg  
Old 03-02-2017, 09:46 PM   #4

I understand small tanks. Our X23B has about the same size tank. Not sure if this will work for your MH. I found a way to use the antifreeze port to fill the fw tank. With the pump off, I take the outside shower head off. Place the hose into the "country fill", then I place the antifreeze pickup into my 5 gallon jug. Turn on the pump, and open the cold water valve for the shower. No spill, and no work to fill the fw tank.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote