Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-20-2013, 08:25 AM   #1

charging issue

I have a 2009 31ftss i have noticed that the house battery is not charging when plugged into shore power or when i am driving down the road. the alternator is charging. i checked the normal stuff like a blown braker or fuse any other suggestions???
thanks
kenny
kcornnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:07 AM   #2

Someone else just had a thread related to this and found that their positive lead was never hooked up properly (was tied back, as I recall). Check your wiring in your junction box.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:35 AM   #3

i dont think this is the issue because it was working for the first three years but maybe something cam loose hey its worth the try thanks
kcornnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:35 PM   #4

I'd probably start at the converter and make sure when plugged in that the converter output is around 13.6V.
If you don't have that voltage at the battery, you know you've got a connection issue between the converter and the battery.

I'm unsure of how the alternator is tied in to the house battery, unfortunately, but I'd start with the converter and deal with one system at a time.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 03:53 PM   #5

My converter outputs 13.6V also and that is not enough to fully charge a battery. If your battery does not get fully charged then it will not maintain full output nor will it last as long. One of the potential problems with battery chargers in an RV is that the wiring from the converter may not be large enough diameter. Twelve volt power loses a lot of volts over a run of small diameter wire. To learn a LOT about how to best charge your battery look at HandyBobSolar.Wordpress.com. This is a blog not a forum so don't ask questions, just read the Battery Charging Puzzle.
BobK is offline   Reply With Quote