Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-27-2016, 10:13 PM   #21

Oh boy! So thankful no one was hurt! We were just South of you in Ok. experiencing the very same kind of weather. We were in NW Ok. when the storm came through. We waited out the main part of the storm, and then headed to Tulsa in our Seneca. It wasn't long until we ran into the hi-winds. Thank goodness not as high as yours! Hope everything works out for you!
Mwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 10:13 PM   #22

Picking up after turned upright.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Colombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 10:15 PM   #23

Path of slide, sorry no pics of rig with hummer still attached.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 12-27-2016, 10:16 PM   #24

Being turned upright.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 12-27-2016, 10:21 PM   #25

Basement doors roped off at start of layover.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 12-28-2016, 06:57 AM   #26

We're glad you are OK.. RVs are replaceable but in the future you might consider not being tied to a schedule. We never towed with a red flag warning. Sat it out.

We use this app

www.windfinder.com

I have had a roof rack with canoe torn off on the High Plains some years ago.. Yes the winds are terrifying..

Remember you are a big box sail. It wants to move sideways somehow.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 07:25 AM   #27

I am glad to see that the main cabin did stay together externally, it does speak to how Jayco must have put our Seneca's walls together fairly well. As a career firefighter in a city with two major interstates, I responded to several MH rollover crashes during my shifts. Every one I saw came apart like there was an explosion. I am thankful for all of our sakes the Seneca must be built better.

I am not surprised the front cap did come apart, there really is not much structure there. And I am disappointed in how the interior seemed to come apart, I would have hoped they attached things better. But I guess I am not surprised, I have had to re-attach and reinforce various pieces of my interior just from bouncing down the road!

I wonder if there is any way Jayco would want to inspect your unit to possibly figure out what they might do better? Would just a small investment in time/hardware during construction have kept things together better inside and in the front cap? If I were building motorhomes I would want to know.

Again, my wife and I are very thankful you are all okay. And thanks for keeping us all updated on your experiences, it may help another of us sometime in the future.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 07:47 AM   #28

Thanks for sharing. Glad you all are ok. This certainly is a good reminder to all to pull over to safety when the wind is strong enough to affect how you have to handle your RV. I know I have been too impatient at times and trucked through potentially dangerous winds when I shouldn't have. Hopefully this post will be a wake up for others and prevent future accidents/injuries.
KYCAMPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 08:16 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Gass View Post
We're glad you are OK.. RVs are replaceable but in the future you might consider not being tied to a schedule. We never towed with a red flag warning. Sat it out.

We use this app

www.windfinder.com

I have had a roof rack with canoe torn off on the High Plains some years ago.. Yes the winds are terrifying..

Remember you are a big box sail. It wants to move sideways somehow.
Very helpful app...thanks for sharing. Yeah...motor homes are about as aerodynamic as a barn!
javamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 08:24 AM   #30

So sorry that you had to go through this horrible accident. We are relieved that you and your family are all ok. Thanks for sharing your experience with all of us.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 23MB Elite
Previous RV's, 1988 33-foot Barth Class A and 1994 Flagstaff Pop-Up
Desert RVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 08:56 AM   #31

Glad to know that you are all okay. Pretty sure I watched a video of an 18-wheeler being jackknifed by these winds. I don't think you could've done any better, so don't beat yourself up about it. Again, you came out of it with everything you need, and could never be replaced, still with you. God bless.
Toads: 2014 Ford Explorer or 1999 Jeep Wrangler
Shultz01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 10:50 AM   #32

Horrifying! So glad you are all okay!
BThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 10:33 AM   #33

Very happy to hear that everyone is ok! What a terrible experience!

Mike
Old 12-29-2016, 01:07 PM   #34

Like the others, I too am glad everyone is ok. I had read this post a few days ago, and yesterday when we absolutely had to drive to Cheyenne, there was a High Wind Warning.

I had your post in mind for the 30 minutes we were exposed to a strong broadside wind. I had to be the slowest and most paranoid driver on I-25 that day.

Traffic was light and I kept it at about 40-45mph for the duration of the wind. Granted, that was nothing like you encountered but I wanted to share that I had your post on my mind most of the day yesterday.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 05:09 PM   #35

Anyone who has read this will keep this post in mind during winds! ME for sure! Hope you continue RVing!!
Old 12-29-2016, 06:42 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyB View Post
Anyone who has read this will keep this post in mind during winds! ME for sure! Hope you continue RVing!!
I have to agree, I think your post has made an impression on anyone reading it.

We are very glad all are okay. We witnessed the aftermath of an accident on I-10 today and personal belongings were all over the shoulder of the road. It made us really think as we rush to get where we can relax.

It will be interesting to follow your progress in repair or replacement.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 09:06 AM   #37

Got bless you and the family. Unreal, the sinking felling of going over must have been surreal. It might take me a while before I could fathom driving another RV. Thanks for sharing, it will make us all reevaluate "high wind warning" signs in the future.
LSA376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 09:06 AM   #38

Once again thanks for all of your support and concerns, it has been well appreciated. I do hope this post leaves an impact and can help others. I do wish that there was some sort of strapping that would tie in with the wall supports to the cabinetry and heavy items like the refrigerator and microwave. I still get sick knowing that if the microwave would have completely broke loose in stead of partially like it did it would have been in the path of my son. As for Nation Wide they have been very courteous and prompt and as of yesterday they declared it a total loss. So now we are waiting on what the value will be declared as with our policy written with an actual cash value instead of replacement value. This will have an impact of how soon we will start RV'ing again. Our hopes and dreams are that we will be able to replace her ASAP.
Old 12-30-2016, 10:45 AM   #39

Keeping my fingers crossed that you get full value and are able to buy a new RV soon and get back to the campgrounds!

And your post will be on my mind every time I hit the road. We get some mighty strong cross winds in Northern AZ, and during the monsoon season we can get a micro-burst anywhere in the state.

Happy New Year!

Mike
Old 12-30-2016, 11:32 AM   #40

Hello Colombo what year was your Seneca? Just curious.and Wish you a Happy New Year
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote