Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-27-2016, 02:02 PM   #1

Christmas crash.

Thought you all would like an over view of what happened and what it's like to experience a terrible accident. We had traveled to south west Kansas Christmas Eve to visit my wife's mother and on Christmas morning at 8 am we started heading out to Kansas City to pick up our oldest son and make our way to sunny Florida. We were fully stocked and loaded with all sorts of goodies and wrapped presents in our 2014 jayco seneca 37fs. Black and gray tanks empty and fresh water tank 2/3 full along with gas tanks full and pulling a 2007 Hummer H2. Most precious cargo was my wife and 17 year old son Peter and 14 year old daughter Sam. Temperature out side was a balmy 55 and wall clouds that looked like a tornado could pop out at any time with strong winds blowing north. As we were driving the rain and wind kept getting worse but the strong and powerful Seneca kept powering through it like it was nothing. I kept saying to my wife that this rig is so easy to drive and so solid. Then around 11am between Ellis Kansas and Hays Kansas on I-70 heading east bound the rain let up with just sprinkles we could see sun and all breathed a seigh of relief thanking now it's smooth sailing from here on. My son was setting at the dinette booth facing the back, my daughter was laying in the top bunk ( not above cab but in mid section where bunk beds are) resting, both not buckled in and my wife and I was buckled in in the cab. There was a cargo van about 100 yards in front of us going slow so I start heading over in the passing lane taking it some what easy paying close attention to the winds that were still blowing hard from the south blowing north. That is when I start seeing the van getting pushed around by the wind along with a massive amount of dirt in the sky and no longer could see the blue sky. I started backing off the speed by taking off the cruise control then the drivers side wind shield wiper just lifted off of windshield and completely twisted around and the fridge started beeping and felt like we were going over but was able to keep it straight and upright. I then looked at speed and we were between 60-65 and beeping stopped then the most powerful wind noise I have ever heard hit us broad side the fridge started beeping sounding like a low altitude warning on a plane then we start to go over on our side and pushed into the median and into the oncoming lane on the other side. Before we tipped I could see two trucks heading west bound and was just waiting to get smacked by one of them. Then we came to a stop and my wife is above me buckled in her chair and hanging on but safe, then I here my son Peters voice saying he is ok, then I start yelling for my daughters name Sam Sam But no responses I start unbuckling and making my way through the debrie of the collapsed kitchen yelling and by the time I make it to where the dinette was I can bearly hear her voice. The fridge and sliding door fell and made about an 8" opening from the bathroom wall. I grabbed her hand and tried to push debrie away but nothing would move. By that time there was a Good Samaritan all ready inside asking how many of us. Sam could see the back escape window and said she can make it to window. The Good Samaritan instantly worked his way to get out side and help Sam out the window while another person came inside to help my wife and son Peter out. My hat is off to the two Good Samaritans that left before we were able to get there names and to all the first responders that arrived before we all got out of the rv and disrupting there Christmas with there families. They were all amazing and so nice and helpful from the highway patrol the fire fighters to the EMS I salute every one of you out there. But the best Christmas present I could have ever got from this was that we were all safe with minor scrapes and bruises. I thought we were the only ones blown over but found out later that a old school bus and several other trailers and trucks also blew over. By the debris field it left it looked like we were already on our side on the edge of the east bound shoulder then pushed by winds in a northerly direction across median up into the passing lane of the west bound interstate and partially blocking the right lane. So I don't know if I could have done any thing else to keep us upright other than had driven much slower so in the future if insurance pulls through that is what I will be doing period also I will make sure every one is buckled up before I ever put it in gear like we always do in our cars. Our hummer survived and stayed upright with just damage to hood and a shattered back side glass but very driveable. We had it hooked up to the heavy duty 360 degree aventa LX 10k blue ox bar with the rvi break 2 system. All worked amazing. I will constantly be going over my mind what I could have done differently and how things could have turned out so much worse. The cab and chassis held up amazing with no oil or fuel leaks. Very solid. The outside shell of rv was some what like a helmet and held up over all good with the exception of the cab over section (thank god no one was up there) that cracked over the drivers side pushed down looking like the drivers door is pushed down about an inch. Don't know if it will be totaled or re built. Over all I defiantly would get another Seneca. Felt safe and sound other than was amazed at how every thing pulled away from the walls. It truly looked like the inside of a wrecked plane with all the scattered cabinets and wires but I can't imagine any other rv holding up any better on the inside. Jayco Seneca you get two thumbs up and for me the driver I need a swift kick in the rear end and should have pulled over at a rest stop and waited the storm out!!!
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Colombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 02:07 PM   #2

Glad you are all OK ... JAYCO can build you another SENECA.
Old 12-27-2016, 02:25 PM   #3

Wow, Colombo.....happy to hear that you are all okay. You are truly blessed and God was watching over you and your family. What a way to spend Christmas, but you survived.
Happy RVing,
Jeff (CSU grad - 1974)
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 03:30 PM   #4

Thank God you all made it safe. Nice of you to post that detailed account of the accident. It may save other lives in the future as it shows the importance of using seatbelt in an RV. Not your fault, just cought in an unpredictable weather situation. Fate Is The Hunter. But you all survived.
Previous RVs: 3 truck campers and 2 fifth wheels
Love the Seneca. Toad 2018 Ford F-150
Mnwelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 03:32 PM   #5

Bad way to start a Christmas vacation. Glad the family. is fine.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 03:34 PM   #6

Oh my, Jen and I are so thankful all of you are okay! We had such a nice time meeting and talking to you and your family this past summer. Like another member said "things" can be replaced. I hope and pray it all works out in the coming weeks.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 03:39 PM   #7

Glad you and the family are OK. I remember when I was on I-70 heading back to Florida from Colorado Springs, it was very windy, flat, with nowhere to hide. Most boring stretch of interstate I have ever been on.

It will be interesting to hear how your insurance company handles this if you are so inclined to share that info with the forum. If so, I'll bet it will be a very popular thread!
javamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 04:11 PM   #8

Thank you Lord that you're all safe.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 04:17 PM   #9

The Good Samaritans were a godsend.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 05:06 PM   #10
Site Team

What a horrifying experience that must have been but great news you are all OK. Your insurance will take care of the rest.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 05:31 PM   #11

As you and others have said, most important is you are all OK. I worked in law enforcement for 27 years and have seen the devastation that mother nature's fury can cause. By your description, it sounds like you did everything humanly possible to minimize the impact of the accident. The scariest part is that moment you realize it's "Out of your hands" and all you can do is ride it out.

God Bless you and your family...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 06:15 PM   #12

Thanks for all the kind words. I will keep you all posted on insurance details that happens through Nation Wide. So far my local office was amazing and great to deal with and a call from the adjuster for the RV was very nice but not sure how knowledgeable he is about RVs then I just got a call from the adjuster for our toad vehicle and I don't think that person has ever driven a car and asked some weird questions for example did I take any evasive action with the wind. Maybe not that dumb but what do you say when a powerful gust hits you that you can't see other than it felt like a devils hand grabbing the RV and you no longer have control.
Old 12-27-2016, 07:10 PM   #13

Like you and others have said, the main thing is that you and your family are ok; it could have turned out so much worse. The devil's hand may have taken the RV, but the Lord's hand reached out in the end! Glad to hear everyone is ok.
NY RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 07:50 PM   #14

So glad you and your family are safe through this. We were coming home today from Vegas on the I15 in California and saw a truck on its side. Very windy, I'd say 80 mph. I was driving a Toyota Sequoia and going 30 because it was nuts. I was thinking if I was driving my Greyhawk, I'd be in trouble! Also, glad to hear the RVIbrake worked well. I just purchased the RVIbrake3 system.
jgerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 08:33 PM   #15

We are very sorry to hear that this happened, but are thankful that you and the family are OK. Our thoughts are with you... Keep up updated on how things work out.
SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 09:57 PM   #16

Glad you and family are ok great thing is material things can be replaced not family, wish you the best.
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 10:04 PM   #17

More pics.

I do not know how to load more than one pic at a time so I will do several separate reply's. This pic shows what happened to windshield wiper when the wind hit us.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 12-27-2016, 10:05 PM   #18

Better pic of cab over.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 12-27-2016, 10:08 PM   #19

Inside photo.
Attached Images