Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-17-2015, 08:46 PM   #1

Class C battery drain 2015 Greyhawk

We have a 2015 Greyhawk 29MV. Dry camped for the first time this past weekend in the new motorhome. We used to have a 2005 Jayfeather travel trailer and could dry camp for about three to four days before the battery died (2 adults, judicious power usage, fridge on LP). Now the brand new battery is lasting for a maximum of 8 hours with the same exact usage before we have to fire up the on-board generator. We keep lights off, run water pump minimally, keep the converter off and the 8 hours was on a no shower day (heat or a/c not run at all). Is this normal for a class C? Dealer says that in a Class C there are other things running behind the scenes that we don't realize draw power (little fan behind fuse box, etc.). Never having had a Class C before, we don't know if this is normal or not. Can anyone chime in on what their battery life is like?
gotobednow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 08:51 PM   #2

Sounds about right. There is only 1 battery for the coach, older jayco's used to have 2. Some people have added an extra battery, you can look for those posts.

If you don't already have you can switch out the halogen lights for LED's, I did that and it makes a difference.

2012 Greyhawk 31 FK
Flat towing a 2008 Miata.
reitrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 09:08 PM   #3

I also have a 29MV. Actually, that's quite disappointing that you can only get 8 hours of battery with judicious use. I've haven't tried dry camping yet, but 8 hours sure doesn't seem like much. The fan the dealer is talking about is in the converter which isn't running unless you're on shore power. The converter charges the battery. How about your inverter? Is it off? TVs can also suck a bit of juice.
Old 05-17-2015, 10:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotobednow View Post
We have a 2015 Greyhawk 29MV. snip...
Congratulations on the new Greyhawk and welcome to the forum.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 11:27 PM   #5

Have never gone dry long enough to run down the coach battery, but I would be surprised to get more than 8 hours without charging. My Greyhawk only has one coach battery. And, yes, like Reitrof said, switching your lights to LED's is good. Especially those that you use often. Do you turn off your audio/navi? On mine, that is on, using bettery until you turn if off, even if the ignition is off.
Bluesky46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 04:22 AM   #6
WDW

There was a post a while back about the dash radio draw. It was said, to the best of my recollection, that it takes its power off the house battery. This is apparent when you shut the main power switch off and that red light on the dash radio finally goes dark. That two could be one of your powertrains behind the scene.

Formerly 31FK 15 Grayhawk
Toad: 2015 Jeep Cherokee "The Caboose".

Taking in the sights wherever my Trolley takes me!
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 05:59 AM   #7

I have your answer to your battery drain problem. I had the same problem with my Jayco class C. I have a gas detector located just inside the door at the base of the fridge. That gas detector is connected to the engine battery. It draws a lot of power from the battery. After a few days of camping my engine battery was dead. I had to hit the emergency start switch to get going. The engine battery does not charge when connected to the campground power. Also I have a removable AM FM radio that draws power if not removed when engine is not running.
My problem was with the engine battery. Yours is with the coach battery. Check to see if you have a gas detector and turn it off. Replace it with a 9 volt battery portable detector. This solved my problem.
toolman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, battery drain, battery life, class c, greyhawk