Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-10-2016, 02:18 PM   #1

Class C bunk ladders violate Govt. safety regs.

ANSI A 14.2 and OSHA, Please see pic for label required attached to all commercially sold ladders.
Our 2015 Greyhawk bunk ladder has 16" spaces berween each step,, govt. regs specify for safety, each step will have 12 inches between each step.
This ladder we have is difficult to use and should be recalled-replaced by Jayco, in my opinion.
Lets start a thread to get something done by Jayco if you agree.
Attached Thumbnails
20160810_111611.jpg  
StevWb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 03:12 PM   #2

I agree! My '16 Seneca has the same ladder in which I almost broke my leg the first time I used it!

2016 Seneca HJ
2004 Wrangler
Mountain Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 03:23 PM   #3

I don't use ours... and YES! it SUCKS with the rungs so far apart. I would like to have a real one with real steps on it.
SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 03:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevWb View Post
Lets start a thread to get something done by Jayco if you agree.
They'll just go back to the old standard....... "no ladder provided", it was that way for many many years.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 06:30 PM   #5

Yea, great idea, Paid $80, 000 and get a ladder, and then say "oh well"...
Old 08-10-2016, 06:36 PM   #6

I actually think your comparing apples and oranges with regards to step spacing standards. RV roof ladders have been 14" for years.

As to what I said neither our 01 class "c" Designer or the 08 SENECA came with bunk ladders.
Old 08-10-2016, 07:09 PM   #7

The RV industry does not follow any codes, maybe some RIVA codes but they are a joke. When I was a general contractor we had a national construction code book that was updated every few years and everything was followed to the last word or you didn't pass inspection. Nothing in a RV is even close to meeting code of new homes, all steps are 8-1/4" rise max, check your inside/outside steps, egress windows in sleeping areas not even close, electrical what a mess. I know an RV is not a house but I am amazed what they get away with. So its a moot point even thinking Jayco cares about a ladder
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 10:51 AM   #8

I want to work in the Government Department that is responsible for RV compliance issues! Gotta be a sweet job with lots of money and benefits, no accountability and you get to look at RV's and related matters all day. Sign me up!
I actually cannot believe we need the Government to solve these kinds of issues.
Old 08-11-2016, 12:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschiller View Post
I want to work in the Government Department that is responsible for RV compliance issues! Gotta be a sweet job with lots of money and benefits, no accountability and you get to look at RV's and related matters all day. Sign me up!
I actually cannot believe we need the Government to solve these kinds of issues.
Got some BAD NEWS for ya...

Ain't no such gubbermint job. The industry created the RVIA years ago and the feds said "OK" and left it alone.

The same path that turned The Hayes Code (U.S. federally sponsored) into the MPAA ratings system.

Where's the balance point between a self-policing industry and the nanny-state?

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 02:15 PM   #10

Go camping...have fun!

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 05:08 PM   #11

Class C bunk ladders violate Govt. safety regs.

Grumpy is spot on... we can ..... and moan and complain, and the RV industry (not just Jayco) will respond by no longer providing ladders. Good grief folks... it's 2 steps up to the bunk. I'm 70 years old and use the bunk when the dog gets to the bed first....
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 05:18 PM   #12

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Grumpy and The Logans are dead on with their message.

If you are not happy why did you buy your RV in the first place? The RV industry is what it is and do rely on feedback of customers, but it is still up to this industry what they do with the feedback information.
Have some self initiative and finish your RV the way you want it. That's what I have always done over the 50 plus years of RVing. Complainers don't get far in this world...........it is the do'ers what make things happen.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 05:50 PM   #13

Government regulations aren't a good answer - all it will do it make things really, really expensive. Look at what it has done for aviation...
2014 Honda CR-V toad

anav8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 06:16 AM   #14

Government regulation can be exactly what you don't want. Be careful hoping they will step in and "fix" something that doesn't necessarily need fixing.
Old 08-12-2016, 07:50 AM   #15

When I bought my FW, I looked it over and pretty much knew what I was getting into. I didn't have a bunk ladder, but I knew I could make one pretty easily. Couple of pieces of 1x4, some 1 inch dowels, and some wood glue are what I've used previously....and it certainly didn't cost $80.00. Kids still used the ladder, even after growing from 40 pounds to 140 pounds over the years.
justman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 07:53 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post
Grumpy and The Logans are dead on with their message.

If you are not happy why did you buy your RV in the first place? The RV industry is what it is and do rely on feedback of customers, but it is still up to this industry what they do with the feedback information.
Have some self initiative and finish your RV the way you want it. That's what I have always done over the 50 plus years of RVing. Complainers don't get far in this world...........it is the do'ers what make things happen.
I think you and I share a kindred spirit! More doing!
justman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 11:19 PM   #17

Yep, the steps on that factory ladder are like climbing a barb wire fence in your stocking feet! Somewhere I saw a thread on replacing the factory ladder with a regular aluminum ladder. This got my wheels to turning. I paid a visit to our local metal scrap yard. Got lucky found a six foot aluminum folding ladder that was in good shape. I bought it for $5 bucks, cut the back legs off, and left them at the scrap yard. First I measured for the correct length that I would need for the ladder. I then cut the bottom side rails off to make it the length I needed. I made the cut the same angle as the bottom of the ladder.. I cleaned it up and painted it a dark metallic brown. I then glued strips of brown carpet on the steps, and I even covered the top of the ladder with carpet. I removed the rubber friction pads or feet from the bottom of the ladder that I cut off, and placed them on the Newley cut bottom. I then fashioned who metal tabs on the top of the ladder to fit into the slots on the edge of the bed. The ladder works great! It's much safer, lighter, and sooooo much easier on your feet!
Mwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 01:17 PM   #18

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	26357
Mwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 01:21 PM   #19

Nicely done!
SecretCoveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 06:21 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
Got some BAD NEWS for ya...

Ain't no such gubbermint job. The industry created the RVIA years ago and the feds said "OK" and left it alone.

The same path that turned The Hayes Code (U.S. federally sponsored) into the MPAA ratings system.

Where's the balance point between a self-policing industry and the nanny-state?

Actually there is an agency in the Federal Government that is very interested in stupid things that RV manufacturers do. It is the National Highway Traffic Safety Agency and you can file a complaint here http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/contact.cfm

When I purchased a new Montana in 2014 the rear escape window latch broke within the first 500 miles. Dealers, and Keystone RV could not get replacement latches so many owners, myself included had to zip tie or wire tie these windows closed. This went on for months with Keystone saying they could not get the latches. Several folks filed safety complaints with the NHTSA including myself. A Federal Investigator telephoned me within a week of my complaint being filed to get additional information. They were also conducting an investigation because Keystone had let some fivers leave the factory with the ladder on the wrong side, thus totally blocking the escape window in back!

Anyhow, about a month after the investigation started and the NHTSA
notified Keystone RV, the latches became available. After a couple of conversations with the NHTSA investigator I am convinced that they take any safety complaint seriously. And I guarantee you that the RV maker takes the NHTSA seriously. Keystone Customer Service must have called me and emailed me 3 or 4 times to make sure my window was finally fixed and I was a happy camper.
FLHTK-JOE is offline   Reply With Quote