Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-09-2016, 04:26 PM   #1

class C cab feet area too close to engine cover

When I try to swing my feet between the drivers seat base and the engine cover, it's really a struggle to get into the rear area. The main problem is the area under the seat on the right front corner. Would it be possible to notch out some of the base at the front right to give more area for my heels so my feet could swing through that area to the side?
Attached Thumbnails
20160109_162908[1].jpg  
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 05:30 PM   #2

I wouldn't just in case you ever got into a vehicle accident, the driver seat safety might be compromised.
Skaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 09:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
When I try to swing my feet between the drivers seat base and the engine cover, it's really a struggle to get into the rear area. The main problem is the area under the seat on the right front corner. Would it be possible to notch out some of the base at the front right to give more area for my heels so my feet could swing through that area to the side?
Just wanted to let you know that you're not the only one that is frustrated! I have to move the seat all the way back to get through.

Any man can treat a lady right for one night, but it takes a great man to treat her right for the rest of her life.
GrayHawk51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 10:42 PM   #4

Unfortunately that cover you want to cut into is a cover for the engine so if you notch it you'll be cutting right into the engine area. Afraid it's the nature of the beast. I have the same problem with my rig.
Old 01-10-2016, 06:39 PM   #5

Such is the case with all the little c's I have seen. I couldn't believe how cramped the driving position was when I tested one (I'm 6ft).
Old 01-10-2016, 09:41 PM   #6

Not the engine cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppers4 View Post
Unfortunately that cover you want to cut into is a cover for the engine so if you notch it you'll be cutting right into the engine area. Afraid it's the nature of the beast. I have the same problem with my rig.
I want to cut out the corner of the drivers seat base. With the seat all the way back I have to wiggle my feet through the slot between the seat base frame and the engine cover, sometimes I have to lift my feet over the engine cover, it's a real PIA.
Old 01-10-2016, 10:28 PM   #7

IMO that sounds doable. It's such a pain for us that we've taken to using the door as much as possible.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:44 AM   #8

one solution I'm looking at

Swivel seat base
Attached Thumbnails
96_20ford-oem-swivel-base-209.jpg  
Old 01-12-2016, 08:09 PM   #9

maybe I misunderstood but when I purchased my "C" I asked about swivel seat base. The rep said that it would not work do to the elevated rear floor behind the chairs.

Any man can treat a lady right for one night, but it takes a great man to treat her right for the rest of her life.
GrayHawk51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 08:12 AM   #10

I don't care about turning the chair. I just need the open area to allow my feet room to slide between the hump and the seat base, with the pedistol mount, the front area under the seat is open with that type of mount allowing room to slide my feet through. ( I hope)
Old 06-17-2016, 09:28 AM   #11

That is why we bought a class c Mercedes sprinter. Lots of leg room. The passenger side of the Fords only allow room enought for a one-legged person. The Chevrolet one had more room then the Ford, but are hard to find.

2017 Melbourne
LindaInTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 11:26 AM   #12

Really not that big a deal

When I first bought my Greyhawk, I thought that the positioning was a real Pain in the butt. Like many others I have to put my seat all the way back to swing my feet through.

Now a year on the road and 8000 miles on the Odometer... I have come to recognize that the number of times I need to move straight from the cab to the coach is so minimal that it is not worth stressing about. I actually built a platform in that area that houses our plug in cooler Figured if I am not going to pass through the space I might as well make use of it.

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 12:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
You are welcome to notch whatever you wish in your own motorhome - so it's probably possible. But there's no way I'd take the risk of altering something as engineered for safety as a seat.

There's no way I'd purchase a motorhome with that mod either.
Just my two cents.

We left a Chevy based Class C, where the room was small but doable. I too am frustrated by the Ford Chassis. I have to slide the seat all the way or go outside.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 03:22 PM   #14

I am looking at the same idea with the motorized base. should work fine with a little finesse!
Old 06-17-2016, 08:23 PM   #15

I looked at my base again, it looks like you could weld pieces on the bottom of the base at the base bolt tabs and move the whole base back with different holes in the pieces I welded on. It would still allow the seat to move forward enough on the slide but move the base back about 1 1/2 " and give more foot room to slide your feet toward the side to enter the house area
Old 06-18-2016, 08:52 AM   #16

I actually wanted to remove the passenger seat and turn it into my dogs area but the wife wouldnt wasnt hearing it.
Greyhawk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 12:55 PM   #17

Remove

No way! Good for her!
LindaInTexas is offline   Reply With Quote