Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-24-2017, 07:29 PM   #1

Class C Mileage

For those of you that have owned RV's for a while, what do you see as the anticipated maximum miles on a Class C RV? At what point do I start shopping for a new one?
Daniel3359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 07:49 PM   #2

I am also interested in mileage for the Freightliner Senecas.
Thanks
WorldCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 07:56 PM   #3

An E450 chassis will start nickel and diming at 80-150k like any gas engine/torque converter automatic vehicle. The Seneca, on the other hand, being on a standard medium duty chassis, shouldn't start costing a ton until 250-300k (besides the usual brakes, tires, filters, pm service, etc.) Thanks to the EPA, however, the DPF on the Seneca will probably require cleaning or replacement before then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS -- 2011 F350 CCSB 4x4 PSD
repacs0103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 08:21 PM   #4

A difficult question with lots of variables in the mix.

Many motorized RVs see what are primarily highway miles which many will say are the "easiest" on the engine. Much less wear than something used as a "daily driver" taken on short trips without ever completely warming up or enduring daily stop and go driving.

Some questions - Does the unit receive regular inspections and engine maintenance? Since they endure continuous higher loads than cars or most pickup trucks, has the transmission been serviced regularly? Is the brake fluid flushed and replaced at some point? Same with the engine coolant (antifreeze). Neither of these fluids last forever.

My experience with my two prior Ford-based Class Cs, one a 1992 Gulfstream with a 460 V-8, the second a 2006 Chateau with the V-10, both receiving regular maintenance (by me mostly). I felt that both engines and drivetrains were still in "excellent" shape when I sold them. I was confident either would have lasted well over 100,000 miles had I kept them. On both units I strove to change the engine oil and filter every 5,000 miles. On the 2006 I used synthetic oil (after break-in) exclusively. I sold these units to move to a newer coach with features I wanted and/or needed, not due to any drivetrain concerns. I feel both units were still in very good shape because of the care I invested in them.

My opinion - It all hinges on maintenance. Defer or ignore things, problems will occur much sooner. Stay ahead of required maintenance, you can expect long life and good service for many, many miles. No single "magic" number.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 08:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldCat View Post
Thanks
I have a 2014 Seneca, I get between 8 and 11 mpg average. When I travel 50-55 on relatively flat secondary roads without a headwind - 11 mpg or close to it. In the mountains out west on interstates this past summer maintaining posted speed limits (except on big grades), it dropped to around 8 mpg. These numbers are while towing 4-down.

I have two toads depending on who is with us. Surprisingly my mileage is not significantly different even though the SUV is about 1,800 lbs. heavier!
Old 02-24-2017, 10:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
A difficult question with lots of variables in the mix.

My opinion - It all hinges on maintenance. Defer or ignore things, problems will occur much sooner. Stay ahead of required maintenance, you can expect long life and good service for many, many miles. No single "magic" number.
Completely agree. Our first coach came to us with 90,000 miles. Lovingly cared for and maintained. And - the proverbial "All highway" miles.

2007 Chevy Vortec 6.0L V8.
Zero issues for the year we owned it and we took it to 110,000.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 12:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
I have a 2014 Seneca, I get between 8 and 11 mpg average. When I travel 50-55 on relatively flat secondary roads without a headwind - 11 mpg or close to it. In the mountains out west on interstates this past summer maintaining posted speed limits (except on big grades), it dropped to around 8 mpg. These numbers are while towing 4-down.

I have two toads depending on who is with us. Surprisingly my mileage is not significantly different even though the SUV is about 1,800 lbs. heavier!
Mileage also needs to be taken with a grain of salt... Consider how much you run your generator! It takes fuel from your chassis tanks and it can really skew your MPG.

Our Gen can draw a lot of fuel in the Hot Summer Months with both AC's running all day. We spent 5 full days at Country Jam (100 degrees in a hay-field) music festival and went thru over 25 gallons of diesel powering our coach and our friends 5er on our generator.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 07:56 PM   #8

depending on speed I drive MPG can vary. Best I have gotten was 8.5 mpg going no faster than 65 on interstate 75 between FL and GA. Worst was 6 mpg on same hwy keeping around 70. not towing in either case, coach lightly loaded.

GeorgiaRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 08:16 PM   #9

At 30,000 miles and mostly driving around 62 miles per hour, pulling a Chevy Traverse, and running the generator less than 25% of the time. Since October of 2015 we've averaged right at 10 mpg.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 09:13 PM   #10

Between 7 and 10 depending on what I am doing.
Usually travel around 65 MPH...rarely above that.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldCat View Post
Thanks
A follow-up to my earlier response, here is a picture of my ScanGauge screen from earlier today coming back from Indiana. I was towing my Focus 4-down and this was observed on US 20 traveling about 58 mph. Includes some red lights, slower speed zones in the little towns, etc.

11.4 mpg - I love it!
Attached Thumbnails
ScanGauge capture 3.jpg  
Old 03-03-2017, 11:04 PM   #12

Just a guess, but I think the chassis, engine and transmission will out live the rest of the RV. I'm thinking 100k + on the engine/transmission with proper maintaince, maybe half that on the coach body, appliances. Etc.
Bluesky46 is offline   Reply With Quote