Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-09-2016, 01:47 PM   #1

class c purchase

tomorrow we are headed out to look at the grayhawk 29. this will be our first class c ,we have been travel trailing since about when Columbus came over. so we are not new to camping just motor homing, i need all the input i can get about what to look for in a new one. also i have read on other sites about diff manufactures, leaks around windows in cabover ,leaks were cabover meets box, how do the jayco grayhawks do with this.also has anyone had dealings with a dealer called rv one,they are in fl. and ny. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP
6thcav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 02:27 PM   #2

There is a PDI checklist you could use from here while inspecting or taking delivery;
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f1...ted-36094.html

Many owners here have used RV One for their purchases.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 02:28 PM   #3

I bought my 2016 MV29 Greyhawk from RV One in Albany NY. They were very professional and easy to deal with. I had a two page list of things to check during the PDI and the very experienced person who ran the PDI was very helpful and patient. I was able to negotiate the price close to 30% off the MSRP. Then I negotiated the price for my trade-in. I told them that both figures had to be where I wanted or no deal. They low balled the trade-in price at first, but then I told them my bottom line which they agreed to. I would buy from them again.
Jayco has the seems for the cap underneath the cap, where it is unlikely to leak. No front window in the cap. My 29MV has a window in the cap on the side above the driver. I have had some issues, but Jayco service has been excellent. I wasn't happy with the Generation 2 Girard tankless water heater so they sent me a Generation 3 which I could get install wherever I wanted, just send them the bill for installation. When an errant 86 year old driver crashed into the side of my new MH, Jayco put me in touch with an excellent body shop in Indiana to get it expertly fixed. I could not have gotten it fixed without their help. They really honor the 2 year warranty. I would buy another Jayco.

2016 Greyhawk 29MV

Wherever you go, there you are!
LI-Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 03:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6thcav View Post
tomorrow we are headed out to look at the grayhawk 29. this will be our first class c ,we have been travel trailing since about when Columbus came over. so we are not new to camping just motor homing, i need all the input i can get about what to look for in a new one. also i have read on other sites about diff manufactures, leaks around windows in cabover ,leaks were cabover meets box, how do the jayco grayhawks do with this.also has anyone had dealings with a dealer called rv one,they are in fl. and ny. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP
Is it a new one? 2016 or 2017?
And which 29? The 29ME or 29MV?

Our 2016 31FK has been trouble free so far. We're also leak-free, so far. Jayco's one-piece fiberglass cab is touted as eliminating common leaks. There's also no front-window in the cabover, only side ones on mine.

We've bought both of our motorhomes as used, so I'm no help on the "Pre-delivery inspection (PDI)" but I can suggest you go slow, very, very slow.
Take a good, bright big flashlight. Look *everywhere*.

I borrowed a creeper and went underneath the vehicle. Opened the hood.

Exercise every system you can: A/C cool, A/C heat, furnace. Generator. Water heater. Awning. Both showers. TVs. Front-dash radio/DVD player. (Bring a DVD to plunk in).

I think if you spend less than two hours, you've gone too fast!

The best advice I got was to split the duties during the PDI. One person listens and takes notes, the other person shoots a video of the whole affair. There's just too much to absorb.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 08:35 PM   #5

I will never forget when I bought my 2009 used, I took my time and it was raining the tech must of been getting irritated he look at me and said your a dip stick pullin fool I said you bet ha. I took a long time checking it out.
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 09:09 PM   #6

If you take one out for a test drive, make sure you check how the steering wheel is....do you need to have a front end alignment done? The frames are aligned prior to the cab build. The additional weight sometimes knocks the alignment out.

Any man can treat a lady right for one night, but it takes a great man to treat her right for the rest of her life.
GrayHawk51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 11:49 AM   #7

Check the Hellwig helper springs too; they are more often then not adjusted for the empty chassis as well. Jayco won't fix it, but you might be able to get the dealer to tighten them up for you as part of the sale.

Otherwise its about an hour or two worth of work, some basic tools, and a lot of wrenching. Some of it quite hard (breaking the nuts loose).

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 11:50 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI-Camper View Post
I wasn't happy with the Generation 2 Girard tankless water heater so they sent me a Generation 3 which I could get install wherever I wanted, just send them the bill for installation.
How exactly did you swing that?

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 03:53 PM   #9

Talking

Jopopsy,
I emailed Jayco Service and then called them. Last February my Mh was at Jayco to get the transmission vibration fixed. I also had them check out the water heater. They said it checked out OK. Well I wasn't satisfied when I used the shower this past camping season so I wrote an email that said different campgrounds have different water pressures and the water pump is different also. I tried all the methods to get the water heater to work properly without success. Then I called Jayco Service and left a message. When a service person got back to me we discussed the problem with the water heater. He said I'll sent you the newest generation that has a better controller where you can set the actual temperature you want. I have compared the new one with the old and they are very different. I didn't have a local Jayco Dealer who would install it and on one Island there aren't many RV dealers, so I asked if I could have a contractor/plumber install it. Jayco Service said OK! The contractor I used has a TT and is very clever. The new water heater had the water inlet and hot water outlet in totally different places that required heating ducts to be rerouted. Also the new controller needs two wires to connect to the water heater. The old controller had one wire from the heater to the controller and then the controller had a wire going to ground. My contractor successfully installed the new water heater and controller. Jayco didn't want the old water heater to be returned to them.

2016 Greyhawk 29MV

Wherever you go, there you are!
LI-Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 08:44 PM   #10

Air Conditioning

I purchased a new 2017 Greyhawk 29 MV a couple of months ago. It has one 15,000 btu air conditioner. I have the custom paint job in a dark color. The one air conditioner is totally inadequate for the hot summer days in south Louisiana. The Jayco Service manager said it was "not designed" for the south! I would suggest getting the option of 2 - 11,000 btu air conditioners if you plan on using it in 85 degree plus temperatures. I will have to address the problem before spring.
Other than the air conditioner problem we absolutely love our MH. Good quality and workmanship and the 29 MV has plenty of cabinets and counter space.
ccradeur is offline   Reply With Quote