Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-22-2014, 09:04 PM   #21

^^ Agreed. The outlaws' is a Fleetwood Jamboree. I think it may be impossible to get all the rattles and squeaks considering that you're trying to attach a house to a truck. Just the nature of the beast, and if you can eliminate some, good for you!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 12:18 PM   #22

Haven't traveled a long way yet, but I could just turn off my hearing aids. Of course that will not help the wife.
MadDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:14 AM   #23

If anyone is interested my wife and I test drove a Thor Palazzo 33.3 bunkhouse and there is no comparison, the Palazzo was nearly silent except a few cabinet noises that could be quickly fixed. I also drove a Thor Chateau Super C on the Ford F550 chassis. It was also quieter than my Greyhawk prior to the changes. The Thor Super C was louder than the Palazzo.
2014 Greyhawk 31FS with a 2007 Tahoe toad
New setup:
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 with a 2017 Ford Explorer toad
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 11:20 AM   #24

Brian, it sounds like the previous owner abused the RV. We went from a 35' Class A to a 31' Class C and there's a world of difference in the noise level. We did as much as we could to quiet things down with some success but the Class C was quiet from the start. The previous owner seems to have taken very good care of her.
dapoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:23 PM   #25

Tex Arvee's "East bound whistle" is classic! I also think it would be great name for a rig
thecampingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 02:49 PM   #26

My Melbourne lost the flap locks on the kitchen exhaust fan and is constantly flapping. Asked dealer for replacement and no success.
2008 Chevy HHR Toad
Mrfoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 03:55 PM   #27

We have all of the rattles taken care of in our 2015 Greyhawk 31FK except for the microwave. It squeaks so badly I can hardly stand it. We think it must be the mounting(s). If I stand up and lean against it with a lot of pressure, it minimizes it. Should we take it off the wall and do something? I even suggested taking it off and getting a countertop microwave and store it til we need it. Any suggestions?
AlStevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 05:02 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlStevie View Post
We have all of the rattles taken care of in our 2015 Greyhawk 31FK except for the microwave. It squeaks so badly I can hardly stand it. We think it must be the mounting(s). If I stand up and lean against it with a lot of pressure, it minimizes it. Should we take it off the wall and do something? I even suggested taking it off and getting a countertop microwave and store it til we need it. Any suggestions?
If you get the squeaks and rattles out of your microwave, please post the method used. Ours does the same.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 08:26 PM   #29

I found the microwave rattle! Pop the screens out from underneath. Shove a hand towel up the vent hole toward the center of microwave. This squeak was maddening! I haven't had the time to disassemble and fix correctly yet. The wife drives... I work on squeaks and rattles.
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 08:29 PM   #30

I fixed the micro squeak by putting a bead of clear silicone on the bottom of the micro where it touches the wall.
Greyhawk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 06:21 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1njin View Post
We test drove a Redhawk last summer. It drove like a U-Haul truck, and it sounded like a U-Haul truck. My wife could not fathom spending hours in it going from home to destination; so back to a travel trailer we went.
And from the travel trailer I'm back here in a 'C'. Great to see this reposted so I could quote myself in humor.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 06:24 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhawk01 View Post
I fixed the micro squeak by putting a bead of clear silicone on the bottom of the micro where it touches the wall.
I dropped the bottom off the microwave (the black part w/ the light and the 'filters') so I could get at the back plate. I put some foam along the back bottom corner where the plate touches the wall and the lip brackets. I then put electrical tape (2x layers) around the whole bottom of the microwave (the black part that I removed) before I screwed it back in place.

So far so good.

Old 07-11-2016, 08:41 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Roamer View Post
If you get the squeaks and rattles out of your microwave, please post the method used. Ours does the same.
I will do. Maybe one of these great suggestions posted yesterday and today will work.
AlStevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 08:39 PM   #34

We have a 2016 23xm. Our last was a class A Fleetwood Southwind. Engine noise so loud you could not hear each other or radio. You were too busy trying to keep it on the road anyway! The Redhawk is very quiet, especially with the new 6 speed. I am actually adding SIRIUS since i can easily hear the radio! We put the table down as the worst offender when the roads are rough. No other major noises yet
Old 07-13-2016, 06:24 PM   #35

I have spent extensive amounts of time quieting down my Greyhawk. I bought some door jamb foam with sticky tape on one side that was pretty thick and some thinner stuff. The microwave was the biggest offender. There were A LOT of rattles/squeaks etc.

Started out having my wife walk back and find the general area/part that was causing the problem. Then I would spend time in each area putting the foam in.

After all that, it has quieted down SIGNIFICANTLY. It just takes time and effort. There are still some tiny niggles with random noises, but I won't fuss more over it.
foglght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 06:41 PM   #36

I think most Class C motor homes make squeaks and rattles. The joint between the cab and overhead box seems to be a significant source. On mine, it has not been loud enough or consistent enough to be annoying, or to force us to speak above a normal conversational tone. There are a few rattles in the back, too. But again, not loud enough to worry about. I did put a new latch on the bedroom closet door, as we determined it was sliding and slamming. And I put some Velcro on the toilet brush bucket so it won't fall over while traveling and slam to the floor. Aside from that, the whistle of the turbocharger is the main thing I hear.
Old 07-13-2016, 06:48 PM   #37

Now that Thor has bought Jayco the build quality could only go up even more Amish craftsmanship
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 11:14 PM   #38

My 09 Greyhawk 31fs had two offending noises.
The loudest was coming from the roof. The TV antenna ends were smacking back and forth with a repedative thudding noise. Solution - I placed two 4"X4" wide strips of eternabond tape under each end on roof. Reduced the mind numbing thud by at least 80%, now barely noticeable. 2nd was my silverware draw opening on bumps then rattling utensils like crazy. Solution - stuck two tiny pieces of Velcro inside bottom corners. Draw holds like a champ now and easily opens by hand. Velcro ins not visible. Other than that, she's quiet unlike my older rig.
DumpStation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 06:04 AM   #39

Lucky I guess my 09 Greyhawk 31 SS no rattles try to keep dishes and other things padded,I think the big box acts like a amplifier with sounds that happen in the coach. Mine had the carpet removed by previous owner and vinyl floor does not dampen the sounds. Of course two dogs panting in my ears helps ha.Biggest problem I have is trying to cool coach while driving by running roof air, remove cab carpet and added heat shields and padding for sound dampening wife was getting hot foot.
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:21 AM   #40

If you have a cover for your roof vents, open the aft vent; it will draw the air through the coach much better. Also don't be afraid to use the E450's AC unit. Its strong and can easily cool the whole coach down if you open the aft vent.