Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-15-2017, 06:02 PM   #1

Cleaning on the Road

I am 3 weeks into a 3 month trip and the outside of my beautiful new Seneca is trashed. We have hit rain, mud and who knows what else. I am afraid to wipe it down with wet rags because of all the grit. Not to mention the enormity of the job.

Any car wash I come to is way too low for this 15'2' monster. Can I go 3 months without cleaning the outside. Can my nerves take that?

I haven't seen any truck washes in our travels. What do you all do? Wear the dirt as a badge of honor?
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 06:14 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
I wash wherever I can, if there is a stream, river, creek I fill pails with water add a little bit soap wax and way I go with an extended truck brush. One pale has clean water and with a small cup I splash things clean. Yes it is work but it is also a good exercise and exercise keeps me healthy. It is that simple.................
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 06:29 PM   #3

Some campgrounds will let you wash it for a fee.
Old 08-15-2017, 06:35 PM   #4

There's over 100 Blue Beacon truck washes in the US. Check them out at bluebeacon.com. $40 to $50 a wash, not cheap.
Blue Ox Baseplate w/Aventa LX Tow Bar & KarGard II Deflector
Blue Ox Patriot Brake
tom463219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 06:54 PM   #5

This thread gives me a chuckle. There are many RV caravans in Alaska. When they arrive in Tok from Chicken some are frantic because the last 100 miles is on gravel and clay. They have expensive coaches and want to find a detailer. There are three RV washes in town as obviously it's good business.
But no detailer It's an indicator of more gravel to come; they don't know that yet
But it's a good idea to try and get at the undercarriage and external fittings. We let the clay dry and needed to take a hammer to the black water cap
I'm looking at five motor homes in line for the $36 wash right now
It's likely that RV campground staff can advise you where there is a wash.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 10:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom463219 View Post
There's over 100 Blue Beacon truck washes in the US. Check them out at bluebeacon.com. $40 to $50 a wash, not cheap.
They are pretty good... BUT - cover your refrigerator Vent, Your Microwave Vent and any other orifice that might allow high pressure water to penetrate your Seneca. Even though you tell the attendant to be careful... the folks that are actually doing the work "don't care" if they soak your main control board on the fridge and blow it up. . .
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 03:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
They are pretty good... BUT - cover your refrigerator Vent, Your Microwave Vent and any other orifice that might allow high pressure water to penetrate your Seneca. Even though you tell the attendant to be careful... the folks that are actually doing the work "don't care" if they soak your main control board on the fridge and blow it up. . .
This is very important as it has happened to several forum members that have used various truck washes...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 04:40 AM   #8

Badge of honor

With as much black as they are putting on our new units, I will only be washing and waxing when I know I can do it right. I watched a local BMW dealer drop their sponges and brushes on the dirty ground, then pick them back up and use them to wash the next customers car. Who knows what they do with a brush used to wash a Semi. I feel if your have a good coat of wax on the paint, that is the protection you need in the long term.
Old 08-16-2017, 07:54 AM   #9

15' 2"???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2016 Seneca HJ
2004 Wrangler
Mountain Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 09:27 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
I am 3 weeks into a 3 month trip and the outside of my beautiful new Seneca is trashed. We have hit rain, mud and who knows what else. I am afraid to wipe it down with wet rags because of all the grit. Not to mention the enormity of the job.

Any car wash I come to is way too low for this 15'2' monster. Can I go 3 months without cleaning the outside. Can my nerves take that?

I haven't seen any truck washes in our travels. What do you all do? Wear the dirt as a badge of honor?
I know everyone is going to get tired of me hocking their stuff, but I bought a bottle of chemical guys waterless wash. (I think one bottle makes 2 gallons of spray) and keep a 16oz spray bottle and a few microfiber towels handy. -Being a detailing nut, I was very worried about scratches from the debris on the paint, however, the waterless wash does a really good job of lubricating the surface and aiding in lifting it into the microfiber towel. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Obviously, for lots of mud and such, a real wash is necessary. -For that I have a WORX hydro-shot battery operated pressure washer gun. I can stick its dip hose into a 5 gal bucket and draw from it and spray (or connect it to a standard garden hose / city water connection), which is very handy. Now, it's not going to compete with a 'real' pressure washer, but for getting bugs and mud off and not damaging paint, it's incredibly competent as well as handy. I got mine with a foam blaster and use a regular wash mitt to scrub with.
https://www.amazon.com/WG629-Cordles...ydroshot&psc=1
-For most issues, I just use that waterless wash, though. Spray it on, wait a few sec and wipe away the dirt. It's fantastic on chrome and windows and I actually prefer it on my windows over windex...
Old 08-16-2017, 09:52 AM   #11

To each their own, but I would never do a waterless wash as you're risking hazing your clearcoat. I have a fat, densely-packed brush on a telescoping pole that I periodically do a bucket wash with when on the road and the CG allows for washing. At home I have a foam cannon that is great for lifting the dirt that I might just start bringing with me. Probably don't wash it more than 5 times a year.
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 07:10 PM   #12

We are on our "Bucket List" trip of completing our venture into every one of these United States. This is not our travels in our campers, but our travels in our 46 years of being together. Currently doing the Northwest and have 3 states to go. Oregon and Washington will be driven through and Alaska will be a cruise.

We call part of my daily routine, working on my "bug collection". I capture water from the ac in a bucket and use that with a knitted little scrubber sold by a lady in Alabama. They don't scratch the surface and do a great job. A chamois and old bath towel also help.

We take advantage of rain storms and I always clean a little more than just the front, each day. Its just a project and part of maintenance. If you think you can drive a vehicle for an extended amount of time and not pay attention to maintenance, you might get disappointed. Cleaning around and spending time looking at your unit, will let you see little problems before they become big problems.

Maybe 13 feet 2 inches, but not 15 feet 2 inches. You would already be illegal going down the road. Watch those State and US Highways, they only have to be 13 feet 6 inches without notification.

Safe travels.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 07:34 AM   #13

We are sitting in a nice campground in New Brunswick and they have water that doesn't spot too bad. Been cleaning sections and I am now "one with the camper again". Seems all the road grime and mud were on the bottom 4 or 5 feet.

I found a couple of nicks and scratches that I am not too happy about but I guess that is life in the road.

And yes, 13'2" not 15'2". Typo error.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 10:11 PM   #14

Ditto what you say about waterless car wash and micro fiber towels. If mine gets too dirty I will hose it off first, and finish with the waterless wash.
Bluesky46 is offline   Reply With Quote