Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-13-2016, 06:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe1mc View Post
While stored, and plugged in to 110 do you keep power to your coach or do you push the disconnect button ? So you're saying just plugging the unit into 110 will keep all my batteries charged!
If what Grumpy says is indeed the case on the newer Senecas, then just plugging into shore power would keep all batteries charged. I will have to investigate whether there is a link (isolator) between the coach batteries and the chassis batteries. If there is, I don't think mine is functional.

Toads: 2014 Ford Explorer Sport or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 07:36 AM   #12

Read this. It explains a lot about battery charging. It's in your

http://www.precisioncircuitsinc.com/...anual-RevA.pdf

Previous RVs: 3 truck campers and 2 fifth wheels
Love the Seneca. Toad Jeep Unlimited
Mnwelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 09:53 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
If what Grumpy says is indeed the case on the newer Senecas, then just plugging into shore power would keep all batteries charged. I will have to investigate whether there is a link (isolator) between the coach batteries and the chassis batteries. If there is, I don't think mine is functional.
I checked mine by turning the ignition on and reading battery voltage on the dash. 12.8 with the coach unplugged and 14.1 with it plugged in so mine is charging all the batteries. That said when mine is in storage I use two battery tenders to prevent overcharging. I also turn the master switch off.
Mr.Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 10:01 AM   #14

It seems I need to check my system since I don't get a rise on my voltmeter on the chassis batteries. Mnwelsh has certainly given me the starting point to troubleshoot, thanks!
Old 03-15-2016, 10:17 AM   #15

Voltage indicator

There is a voltage indicator in my coach control panel, it reads 12.8 is that the coach battery voltage? What exactly do I have to watch on that voltage indicator, if voltage goes down while not plugged in; then I should turn on my generator until it come back up to 12.8 ?
Joe1mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 10:35 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe1mc View Post
There is a voltage indicator in my coach control panel, it reads 12.8 is that the coach battery voltage? What exactly do I have to watch on that voltage indicator, if voltage goes down while not plugged in; then I should turn on my generator until it come back up to 12.8 ?
My Seneca's coach batteries originally were only "monitored" by the same device that told me my tank levels. Very imprecise. So I installed a real voltmeter so I could have a better idea where they were. Newer unit must have something different if you are able to read actual voltage.

If unplugged boondocking I will use the generator when the coach batteries drop to around 12.2 to 12.3 volts to prevent over-discharge. That reading is taken with minimal to no load drawing them down. I shut off my inverter and make sure the furnace isn't actually running when I take the reading.
Old 03-16-2016, 07:13 PM   #17

My 2016 HJ converter trickle charges both coach and chassis batteries according to dealer at walk around. I did see 4 batteries in the slide out compartment all connected together and said this can't be chassis batteries too. I'll have to look under drivers seat for them. Been driving too much to really look but I figured they were somewhere.
Mountain Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 07:29 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Cajun View Post
My 2016 HJ converter trickle charges both coach and chassis batteries according to dealer at walk around. I did see 4 batteries in the slide out compartment all connected together and said this can't be chassis batteries too. I'll have to look under drivers seat for them. Been driving too much to really look but I figured they were somewhere.
That is where the pair are hiding, have to remove the panel at the top of the driver's running board/fuel tank cover to get to them.
Old 03-16-2016, 07:37 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Oz View Post
That said when mine is in storage I use two battery tenders to prevent overcharging. I also turn the master switch off.
The converter has the built in "Charge Wizard" so the batteries won't overcharge on shore power.
Old 03-19-2016, 03:13 PM   #20
Sam

I checked my chassis batteries without being plugged in and my dash reading indicted 12.2 volts. Plugged in after several hours it still read 12.2 volts. The master switch was always off. So I assume that I am not charging the chassis batteries when plugged in.

Rob, I like your idea about using a Battery Tender plugged into the cigarette lighter. As you can see, my Seneca is same as yours.

Sam is offline   Reply With Quote