Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-19-2016, 03:39 PM   #21

All this battery talk about coach and starting batteries with Senecas, reminds me of my purchase walk-through that the push button switch under the dash to the left will couple starting and coach batteries for cold weather or weak starting batteries. Haven't tried it, but it's there.
2014 Seneca 37FS
2015 Wrangler Sport toad
red-headed wife
RoWest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 07:00 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
I checked my chassis batteries without being plugged in and my dash reading indicted 12.2 volts. Plugged in after several hours it still read 12.2 volts. The master switch was always off. So I assume that I am not charging the chassis batteries when plugged in.

Rob, I like your idea about using a Battery Tender plugged into the cigarette lighter. As you can see, my Seneca is same as yours.

One thing to note, depending on the year of your Seneca. Our 2015 has the Precision Circuits isolation manager which allows charging of both the house and chassis batteries when on shore power. The 12v items on the dash (radio/gps and the cigarette lighter power plugs) are all fed by the house 12v system. So, plugging a trickle charger into the cig lighter outlet with this setup would be charging the house batteries and not the chassis batteries.

That's a bummer if Jayco didn't do the same setup on the 2014's.
2014 Honda CR-V toad

anav8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 07:06 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by anav8or View Post
One thing to note, depending on the year of your Seneca. Our 2015 has the Precision Circuits isolation manager which allows charging of both the house and chassis batteries when on shore power. ....snip

They have been using that since at least 2007 on the SENECAS. There is no reason why they would have skipped a year.

That system worked great on our 08.
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 07:26 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by anav8or View Post
One thing to note, depending on the year of your Seneca. Our 2015 has the Precision Circuits isolation manager which allows charging of both the house and chassis batteries when on shore power. The 12v items on the dash (radio/gps and the cigarette lighter power plugs) are all fed by the house 12v system. So, plugging a trickle charger into the cig lighter outlet with this setup would be charging the house batteries and not the chassis batteries.

I did verify that my dash cigarette lighter is "hot" all the time fed from the chassis batteries. I rewired my radio so that it has keep-alive power from the chassis batteries, since originally it was wired to the coach batteries and would lose its settings every time I shut off the coach batteries. I had to fix that quick!

I have to question how consistent the Jayco wiring is coach to coach; as compared to the assembly line-manufactured Freightliner chassis. While you would hope units are identical, some of what I have heard from other posters leads me to possibly doubt they are.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 07:35 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
I did verify that my dash cigarette lighter is "hot" all the time fed from the chassis batteries. I rewired my radio so that it has keep-alive power from the chassis batteries, since originally it was wired to the coach batteries and would lose its settings every time I shut off the coach batteries. I had to fix that quick!

I have to question how consistent the Jayco wiring is coach to coach; as compared to the assembly line-manufactured Freightliner chassis. While you would hope units are identical, some of what I have heard from other posters leads me to possibly doubt they are.
I suspect you're right on the wiring. There seems to be a good deal of variation in the electronics (tv, radio brands and such) even within the same model year. They must buy large lots and swap out when they're gone.
2014 Honda CR-V toad

Old 07-17-2016, 09:13 PM   #26

Where is the Coach batteries located?
byrdbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 04:30 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrdbody View Post
Where is the Coach batteries located?
The coach batteries on my 2015 FK are in the first basement compartment behind the passenger door. The chassis batteries are under the driver seat.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
2014 Honda CR-V toad

Old 07-18-2016, 02:25 PM   #28

Ok I thought the four batteries in the basement behind the passenger door was the chassis/engine batteries. I will have to look for the batteries under the drivers seat, is there two there?
Old 07-18-2016, 02:27 PM   #29

Quote:
Ok I thought the four batteries in the basement behind the passenger door was the chassis/engine batteries. I will have to look for the batteries under the drivers seat, is there two there?
Yep. Open the driver door, and there is a cover with, if I remember right, two screws that hold it in place. The batteries are behind there. It isn't easy to maneuver in there at all...

2014 Honda CR-V toad

Old 07-18-2016, 02:40 PM   #30

So the 4 batteries are for the DC lights etc and the batteries under the drivers side is for the engine start etc? The 4 batteries for DC should last quite a while without recharge I would think.
Old 07-18-2016, 03:25 PM   #31

Quote:
So the 4 batteries are for the DC lights etc and the batteries under the drivers side is for the engine start etc? The 4 batteries for DC should last quite a while without recharge I would think.
Last year's Oshkosh trip was the longest I've camped "off grid" and the battery bank was just fine running the fridge and 12v items while we were messing around at the show during the day. We ran the Genny during the night for A/C.

As long as you can avoid using the furnace and inverter, I would think you'd be ok for a couple days.

2014 Honda CR-V toad

Old 07-18-2016, 04:57 PM   #32

Shortly after I got my Seneca I determined my 12 volt coach batteries were bad. Probably went dead and frozen before I bought the unit. I had to change them out and decided to go with four 6-volt Trojan Batteries that are true deep - cycle batteries. I can now dry camp for 5 or 6 days using just some lights, the water pump occasionally, and other small 12 volt loads before I need to run the genny.

As previously mentioned if you need the furnace or inverter (for microwave or TV) you will eat up your batteries far quicker.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 06:25 PM   #33

We done great with our Seneca at Oshkosh last year also. Our batteries seem to hold up very well. Last year at EAA in Oshkosh we would run the generator in the evenings getting the coach cool then sleeping with the windows open over night. Last year I carried a full load of water the whole 500 mile trip. This year I want to find a place in town or before getting into town to fill the fresh water tank. Wish you could come this year.
Old 07-18-2016, 07:35 PM   #34

See if you can find a Pilot or Flying J on your route with RV lanes. They have potable water connections in the lanes. We filled up at one just north of Indy last year. You can fill up at Camp Scholler as well, but it is well water and the mineral content is pretty high. Wish I could make it this year as well, but I'm planning on making the trip again next year. Have a good time up there!
2014 Honda CR-V toad

Old 07-18-2016, 08:49 PM   #35

There is a Pilot Flying J in Beloit WI which I plan to get fuel and will take on water also. Thanks.