Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-26-2015, 06:19 AM   #1

Conserving water on a 37FS

So latest puzzlement is how to keep from using so much water to get the demand hot water heater to fill the bathroom sink with enough water for the morning clean up. Also having the same concern at the kitchen sink to wash dishes.

So, our favorite campsites are not the full hook up ones. We can do 7 showers and basic comfortable living without refilling the potable tank and the emptying grey tank. Black tank for 14 days (the maximum stay at a Corps of Engineers Campsite) is not a problem.

The current solution is filling the coffee pot with hot water for use at the kitchen sink area, after the morning coffee and providing an electric tea pot in the bathroom for the same source of hot water. I haven't measured the water flow to see how much is actually sent down the drain waiting for hot water, but its more than I want to use.

As I have done on our former trailers, I will put pipe insulation around the hot water supply lines, as time permits, and I'm even wondering/considering about 110 volt heat tape inside this insulation to keep the water pipes warmer.

Any thoughts?
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 07:04 AM   #2

My DW, hates waiting for the hot water, to circulate through the pipes, especially when we are dry camping. Often she, boils a pot of water on the stove to do dishes or wash her face.

14 days without having to refill or dump is really good. We have gone 5 days, but our tank sizes are really small compared to yours.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 10:52 AM   #3

Because of the "limitations" I have experienced with my tankless I am planning to retrofit a 10-gallon (minimum) tank-style unit into my Seneca. Like you, I dry-camp regularly and excessive water use is unacceptable. Despite 2 inspections by dealer (nothing wrong!) and strict adherence to the operating instructions my Girard cannot maintain a constant temperature even shower to shower. I never had any problems with water temperature with my two previous Class C units, one with a Suburban and one with an Atwood. I also miss the 110-volt heater in the water tank when I am on full hookups.

I am also researching a hot water recirculation system to enable quicker hot water to the fixtures. My kitchen sink is the furthest from the heater, so if I recirculate that line everything else tees off along that run and will benefit. I have seen several means it can be done, I will have to figure out what might be best in my situation.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 12:15 PM   #4

Rob, good luck with the 10 gal retrofit. I will settle for 6 gal. Looks like we would have preferred a Dynamax Force which has a 10 gal HW heater std.

2019 Renegade Valencia 38RW
Gone: 2015 Jayco Seneca / 2010 Tiffin RED / ...
Toads: 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited / 2012 Kia Soul
WaltW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 12:40 PM   #5

I would think someone could make a kit to retro fit Jayco RVs that have tankless water heaters with a gas/electric tank type and make a nice business out of it. I will talk to a Mobile RV repair service I have used in Austin Texas and see what it would cost to change it out this winter when I'm down there. Jayco could also do this themselves and have their dealers install them, I would gladly pay to get one.
Previous RVs: 3 truck campers and 2 fifth wheels
Love the Seneca. Toad 2018 Ford F-150
Mnwelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 07:01 PM   #6

I was sharing this dilemma with a friend that has a lot of construction skills. He suggested a 2 gallon 110 volt hot water heater under the sink. He says he has one in the kitchen of his house and got it at Home Depot. Something to look in to.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
Old 10-26-2015, 07:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
My DW, hates waiting for the hot water, to circulate through the pipes, especially when we are dry camping. Often she, boils a pot of water on the stove to do dishes or wash her face.

14 days without having to refill or dump is really good. We have gone 5 days, but our tank sizes are really small compared to yours.
Jagiven,

I didn't mean to say we go 14 days without dumping or filling, though I wish we could. We use a 175' garden hose on a reel to get potable water from one of the central spigots and a "honey pot" to dump the grey water. This was what we did in the Arctic Fox Travel Trailer in the past and what we are trying to duplicate. Tank size was similar to the 37FS.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
Old 10-30-2015, 06:16 PM   #8
Wyn

I would be interested to learn how to switch out the Gerard instant water heater for a 6 gal Atwood DSI/Electric water heater. The Girard does not heat the water consistently and wastes a lot of water in the process, this is a significant problem when dry camping.

Ric, does the 2 gal electric water heater produce enough hot water for a shower? If so, it may be a good addition to supplement the Girard. How would the water lines be run?
Wyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 07:41 PM   #9
Lost in the Woods

I like the simplest solution, which is just to heat some water in a coffee pot or use a tea kettle, or adding that 2 gallon home depot water heater under the sink.

I'm not sure retrofitting in a tank water heater is the best idea, but I would talk first with Jayco about it and see what they think.

An alternative solution is to get one of these collapsible water bags, put it into your toad, and just carry more water with you or capture the cold water coming out of the faucet and use it for cleaning.

Of course, the out of mind solutions are very enticing, but a lot of people us the simple workarounds.

Will read with interest those of you who go for a retrofit.

Kind of interesting reading about the closet and water problems.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 10:14 PM   #10

Just had the 6 gal water heater installed. Haven't seen the finished job yet as the dealer drilled into the fuel tank when "repairing" loose cab to body connection. Will post when I get to use it.

Old 10-31-2015, 07:41 AM   #11

"Ric, does the 2 gal electric water heater produce enough hot water for a shower? If so, it may be a good addition to supplement the Girard. How would the water lines be run?"

We've not installed this, but are looking at it. We also are using the tea kettle approach to conserving water.

My understanding is that the 2 gallon 110 volt hot water heater would be installed in the hot water line right under the sink. Hot water would be right now and 2 gallons of hot water would always be supplied. I can invision having one under the bathroom sink and under the kitchen sink.

If installation is too difficult, I'm sure a plumber could do it.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
Old 11-05-2015, 10:46 AM   #12

WaltW, did they really drill into your fuel tank? That is crazy!!!
Old 11-05-2015, 01:01 PM   #13

jestew3, in their zeal to improve that attachment of house to cab they did indeed drill into PS fuel tank.

HW heater has been installed. Control for elec and propane is in bathroom as before. They aren't done fixing everything (screws through floor. main TV doesn't work, paint from WH install) so I can't say how well they did with HW heater install or how we like it. I think it will be at least 2 more weeks before I get it back.

Old 11-05-2015, 06:48 PM   #14

"I think it will be at least 2 more weeks before I get it back."

That's sad!!!!
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
Old 11-06-2015, 02:08 PM   #15
Site Team

To do dishes, we have been using a combination of vinigar and water in a spray bottle for years in the TT. We got the idea to use it from another dry-camper camper. We wipe the dish with a paper towel to remove any food particles and then spray wipe it and then wipe dry it. You do not have to worry about hot water in the kitchen or filling the gray tank this way. We do use paper plates now, but the pots and pans are sprayed.

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 06:49 PM   #16

Don,

I read your reply to my bride of 43 years. Needless to say, the response is not something I should put in print.

From me, thank you for the offer of advise. From my wife, not really so much. She really likes hot water.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse