Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-24-2015, 02:25 PM   #1

Considering 2016 Greyhawk 29MV

My DW and I looked at a 2016 29MV Greyhawk. Are there any owners of either a 2015 or 2016 that could answer some questions or give advice?
The info supplied by the dealer shows a wheelbase of 223" while a Jayco brochure shows 212" on a 2015 29MV. The floorplans and external length are both 32' so what is the real wheel base? I noticed that the exterior cargo capacity is only 52 cu. ft. Do any owners have found this to be too small? Also it seems that theree is only one 12V house battery on a pull-out tray. Is there any easy way to add another battery? One last question: how well do the radio/GPS/backup cameras work? Can a (sorry another question) sattelite radio be added to the existing radio? Thanks for any help
LI-Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 12:03 PM   #2

I'm also considering one of these. Don't have any answers to any of this, but I'm with you !!!
Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 11:52 AM   #3

My DW ad I also are considering a 29MV, downsizing from our Pinnacle 5ver. We looked at a 2015 and my only concern is that the outside storage and under bed storage are the same compartment. The baggage door looks like it is well insulated but I worry about cold air coming up under the bed. There are also 2 low point drains and the water select switches in cabinet.
Bird Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 06:43 PM   #4

We have a 2015 29MV with the JRIDE package. Love the ride, had a 2005 Sunseeker that rode like a log wagon. The only complaint so far was the water heater. We only have 1000 miles on it so far but really like the layout. We are getting 8 MPG pulling a 6x10 aluminum trailer with a Smart car on it. Back up camera is great and the side cameras come on when you use your turn signals.
ddorourke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 03:12 PM   #5

Smile Just bought the 2016 29MV!

Well since posting my questions here, I went back to the dealer and checked out all my concerns. The wheelbase is 223" (I measured it), the radio says SiriusXM on it so I should be able to hook it up somehow. The outside cargo space is less than I had before, but I put too much stuff in my 2004 Greyhawk. The older Greyhawk has "basement storage" which means there is a large step up from the driver's seat to the floor and the ceiling height is just above my head (I'm 6'2"). The ceiling height on the 2016 is 84" which gives the appearance of much more space. The 2016 has more interior storage. I drove the unit I am buying and it rides great so far. I will pick it up late next week. I chose the exterior Vanilla color over the special paint option because 1) it costs much more (about $5000 to $6000 more), 2) I believe the lighter color will hold up better due to UV causing fading over time, and lighter exterior colors absorb less sunlight than darker colors and so it should be cooler during the summer. The dark paint looks very nice, though.
The new Greyhawk has a fiberglass roof, auto leveling, new King Control Jack antenna that doesn't have to be raised,solid surface kitchen countertops, a thicker foam mattress that is NOT a Denver mattress, Furrion brand TV's and MCD roller shades , a 1000 watt inverter. Many of the windows are larger including bathroom, cab-over bunk side window, side entry window and the dinette window looks larger to me. The flooring is a wood plank pattern vinyl except under the dinette and in the bathroom. The shower stall is larger than my 2004 Greyhawk's. The water heater is tankless. The hitch is rated for 7500 lbs with a 750 lb tongue weight. The windows are frameless and are tinted fairly dark. The only options i bought were slide toppers and Maxx air covers. I will post photos when I bring it home.
Old 07-01-2015, 05:17 PM   #6

The MSRP sticker on the one I'm about to buy lists a 400w inverter. You sure about that?
Old 07-02-2015, 05:48 AM   #7

Congratulations LI-Camper! Enjoy
Old 07-02-2015, 07:41 AM   #8

The 2016 MV I'm considering is lucky enough to be mated to the 2016 E450 chassis. Big news there? 6 Speed Torqshift. Nice.
Old 07-02-2015, 09:16 AM   #9

Taking the wife and girls to see her tomorrow. Assuming everything is good on 'the boss' end - we'll be taking delivery of ours on 7/11. VERY excited as I'm pretty sure this is a done deal !!!
Old 07-02-2015, 12:03 PM   #10

òWe are on our first trip in our new 2015 Greyhawk 29mv...all the faucets were clogged with debris first off....the little aereator screens had white like crap like styrofoam balls in them...poor quality control ?
Anyways a question was asked about House Battery....one # 27 12v. battery in slide out tray...pretty anemic setup I feel...
Our old A had two 6v. golf cart batteries....so the one 12v. is history...had two 6v. installed in compartment next to 12v. tray compartment....we like this setup much better..Dry camping or boondocking or even one night with one 12v. battery is a very lame setup I feel....one cannot always anticipate nor choose to be on shore power all the time...
We like our Greyhawk 29mv a lot..but are making it more tuned to our needs...eg. had a internally wired surge protector installed. Slide toppers on both slides to keep debris out....steel wheels on back of hitch for bottoming prevention..
The wires for the 12v. heating system on the water tanks were really poorly installed at factory...Jayco does a really poor job on details like wiring hanging sloppy on and under tanks...I feel.
Exterior storage is half of our old Class A....so we make do with less stuff, but the tradeoff for our new C vs. the old A is worth the difference to us..
The ride is exceptional and comfortable...the new A's are too tall for our covered parking space...
Its a mixed bag of quality in some places and shoddy cheap materials in other places...like the vent covers under the fridge and stove are flimsy garbage to say the least...
Thats my honest assesment of our new Greyhawk..warts and all...
oh overall...we love our 29mv..thanks for listening to my review....
StevWb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 12:24 PM   #11

We got ours out of the shop (again) where it spent an additional three weeks having the shower replaced (buckled floor/wouldn't drain properly). We think we might have reached the point of getting all the 'new rig' bugs corrected. We'll take our third trip in it next week for our annual Matagorda Bay adventure. The rig drives well, although after four months' ownership, we're somewhat disappointed with the Jayco design and build quality compared to the Thor Class A we traded in last March. Don't get me wrong; it is what it is and we're satisfied because it rides great and pulls our motorcycle/trailer combo as though it is not there. Really like the Ford engine/drivetrain, although it can be a bit loud on some of the steeper hills we've encountered. We've adjusted to the limited storage compared to the 'A' MH, but still getting used to the few available electrical outlets in the living area. The layout perfectly suits us, although, I doubt that we'll consider Jayco if we go to another MH. In my opinion, Jayco trailers/fith wheels are where the bang for the buck lies. The motorhomes not so much...
Old 07-02-2015, 12:26 PM   #12

Yes, I've read of your troubles. Did you get yours from Camping World or a Jayco dealer?
Old 07-02-2015, 12:42 PM   #13

Purchased from Jayco dealer, Crestview RV in Buda, TX.
Old 07-02-2015, 12:43 PM   #14

Ugh.
Old 07-02-2015, 02:25 PM   #15

I bet that the all Fiberglass roof on the 16 would be nice..sigh, but our Rubber Roof on the 15 should hold up well I hope...our old A had the rubber roof.
When we left our 93 31 ft. Southwind Class A to our new Greyhawk...the change was huge..some good some bad...the overall quality of materials on our 22 yr. old A were better in my opinion..of course all the latest greatest bells and whistles on our new 29mv help to overcome some of that...
"Love the one your with" tune comes to mind.
StevWb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 04:30 PM   #16

My salesman called the factory to confirm the 1000w inverter. I noticed while looking online at some dealers that showed the MSRP sheet for their units that some showed both a 1000w inverter on the standard column and also a 400w inverter on the options column as part of the Customer Value Pkg. it is confusing. Their is no info about 2016 Greyhawks on the Jayco site or any brochures out yet.
Old 07-02-2015, 04:35 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMike View Post
Congratulations LI-Camper! Enjoy
JulieMike, Thanks. We traveled thru Wisconsin last summer to Lancaster, WI to visit relatives after driving thru the UP.
Old 07-02-2015, 05:58 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI-Camper View Post
My salesman called the factory to confirm the 1000w inverter. I noticed while looking online at some dealers that showed the MSRP sheet for their units that some showed both a 1000w inverter on the standard column and also a 400w inverter on the options column as part of the Customer Value Pkg. it is confusing. Their is no info about 2016 Greyhawks on the Jayco site or any brochures out yet.
Interesting. Very interesting.
Old 07-03-2015, 04:52 PM   #19

Mine has a 1k watt inverter too. Another nice surprise.
Old 07-03-2015, 05:27 PM   #20

We were told that they advertise the inverter as 400 watts, even though it's actually a 1,000 watt... and, they only run it to one outlet, rather than the usual 4 or 5 outlets. And, the one outlet that is on the inverter can't be used when moving (or with the engine running), without being modified by the customer.

The Jayco design team must have been on some serious medications...
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote