Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-03-2015, 09:40 PM   #1

Considering an 08-09 Melbourne 29

Is there something in the same quality and size that I should also consider? (Or better quality) I'm a newbie and was also looking at the Lexington. Anything else you more experienced folks would rec. I look at? I want to stay 27-29 and under 50K.
Thank you
rhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 08:07 AM   #2

I own a 2008 29D. This is my first motorhome and I didn't know enough when I bought. It's a great motorhome but there are 2 things I would change. 1 is the amount of storage under the coach and the other is the sleeping accommodations.
Neither of these are a fault of Jayco. I have 2 teenage kids and without the bed over the cab due to the entertainment system, one kid sleeps on the dining table space, so when I wake up in the morning I have no where to go but outside. The storage is also due to the kids packing along everything they possibly can. Otherwise it drives beautifully, pulls our Jeep through mountains without any trouble. This motorhome has been care free so I would recommend it, but be sure of your wants and needs before purchasing.
Borske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 02:31 PM   #3

Since my only dependent is a labradoodle beds won't be an issue. Good to hear the coach itself is behaving properly. That is the important info for me. May I ask what other coaches you considered when you were looking?
Old 07-07-2015, 06:58 AM   #4

I own a 2014 Melbourne 29 and it replaced an older Tioga 26 foot model. The difference in driveability with the Jayco upgraded suspension is huge. No regrets with the Melbourne at all. Lost some outside storage, but adjusted to that no problem and currently outfitting a Wrangler for a dinghy and looking forward to having another transportation option at camp. Best of luck with your decision and happy camping to you and your critter.
brushbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 07:09 AM   #5

Do you know what year they made the switch to the better suspension. I've heard it is vastly superior but a '14 is pricey for me.
Thanks
Rick
Old 07-07-2015, 10:13 AM   #6

Hi Rick
I don't know when the switch was made, but it is officially called the "J-Ride" package if you have a chance to look at the equipment sticker for the unit that you are looking at. The Bilstein shocks, rubber mounts, sway bar, and springs that make up the package could be added if not already installed. I'm sure that would be several thousands, but it really does make a difference. The Jayco folks could probably give you a quick answer.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:28 AM   #7

I'm guessing you drove both J-ride and non J-ride. There really is that big a difference?
I've called 3 dealers and it is a bit disturbing that I got 3 diff. answers. :-
The other question I'm having trouble getting answered...What is the difference between the Greyhawk and Melbourne other than floorpan. Are they both the same quality build level?

By the way apparently you can upgrade shocks and springs but one on the features of J-ride is a balance drive shaft. I'm guessing that would be a huge expense on its own. Also one or both of the cushioning devices rides between the chassis and box making upgrade of older coach way impractical .
Old 07-07-2015, 01:30 PM   #8

I can only compare a Fleetwood Tioga to the Melbourne with J-Ride and there is a huge difference in my opinion. I have no experience or knowledge about other Jayco models without the J-Ride. Hopefully the earlier model Melbourne that you are looking for will already have the system and you will ready to go.