Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-12-2015, 02:26 PM   #11
To cover or not to cover

I agree with ALDOJ. I have had a TT, 5th wheel and now an MH and don't cover it for the Canadian winter. I perform good roof maintenance and prep each year for winter storage, in my driveway, and have had no problems. I believe that even on the coldest days when the sun comes out the moisture will evaporate in the wind and sun. Keep the snow accumulation to less than the manufacturers specs and all should be okay. Snow is a good insulator. Cheers.

Trenton, Ontario Canada
2015 Greyhawk 31DS
2013 Jeep Wrangler
Blue Ox Tow Package
MFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 03:39 PM   #12
MF... Couple quick notes... I am envious of your ability to store in your driveway. I suspect you are very much in the minority. I am fotunate to have gated storage 20 minutes from home and a busy active lifestyle means I am not always in a position to check my rig on a weekly basis, let alone a daily basis.

I am not sure I can agree with your evaporation theory. But if it were true, that goes on to support the secondary reason to cover, UV damage. For the evaporation to occur you would need full sun on your rig. If you are like most Canadians, myself included and your rig is parked from late October to Early May why not protect it from damage. If you owned a $80,000 corvette would you leave outside exposed to the elements???

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 06:23 PM   #13
Jack, living just a few miles from you we share our winters. Personally, I cover my TT but it is a personal decision. I've had some chafing but have learned to tighten it a little tighter than I felt ADCO was describing in their videos. Mildew is not an issue in our area. We are worried about wind, snow and ice. I've learned to protect anything that sticks out, like rain gutter (obvious) and antenna coax (not so obvious). I like the feeling of taking the cover off in the spring and spending little time cleaning it in the spring. Back in the 70's when my father had a truck camper, we never covered it and all was good. But he had a son who would help him clean the rig in the spring.

Dan & Christine (and Molly)
2015 GMC Sierra 4WD Crew Cab Short Bed with Max Trailer Pkg
2015 Jayco White Hawk 27 DSRL
redenbacher is offline   Reply With Quote