Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-19-2016, 03:32 PM   #1

Cracked Black Holding Tank

I got a flat tire this year and the remnants cracked my black water holding tank. Looks like I need a whole new tank. Is this an expensive job that I will need a professional to do or can I buy a tank and install it myself?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 03:41 PM   #2

I once successfully patched a crack in my black tank using an $18 plexiglas repair kit from Walmart (automotive section). The repair wasn't pretty but it held. Caution: I didn't wear gloves and got the glue all over me, plus the fumes gave me a headache. I don't read/follow directions very well.

What do you have to lose?
Old 09-19-2016, 03:41 PM   #3

My neighbor just replaced his on a giant 5th wheel. It can be done... you'll want a willing and able assistant to help you support stuff. You can always take the old tank out first and decide if you want to go ahead with the re-install yourself. Working on your back for that long can get pretty old, fast but it's not all that difficult.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 04:16 PM   #4

LOL Bansai... "Working on your back for that long can get pretty old fast, but it's not all that difficult", said the lady of the evening!

Well, that aside, we had to have ours replaced, and the nightmare was the plumbing! It was an all day job for 3 tech's at the Jayco Factory Service Center. Thank goodness it was under warranty! They had to cut off the existing inlet and vent pipes, and re-fit everything, and the rusty retaining straps had to be cut off and replaced. They also had to replace the tank level sensors, as the old ones couldn't be removed without destroying them.

Good Luck!
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 04:35 PM   #5

Would something like JB Weld Plastic Weld work? I have used it to repair my kayak a few years ago and it is still holding great.

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD Duramax SB SRW
schiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 06:06 AM   #6

X2 on the JB Weld plastic weld. I used that on a plastic diesel tank on my tractor. Receives severe abuse and still holding after several years.
Kerwin1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 07:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Logans View Post
LOL Bansai... "Working on your back for that long can get pretty old fast, but it's not all that difficult", said the lady of the evening!

Well, that aside, we had to have ours replaced, and the nightmare was the plumbing! It was an all day job for 3 tech's at the Jayco Factory Service Center. Thank goodness it was under warranty! They had to cut off the existing inlet and vent pipes, and re-fit everything, and the rusty retaining straps had to be cut off and replaced. They also had to replace the tank level sensors, as the old ones couldn't be removed without destroying them.

Good Luck!
LOL, I never thought of it that way and usually I'm the first to go there. Funny.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 08:15 AM   #8

I'm gonna add to the "JB Weld" suggestions. I've used the various different formulas of that product for all sorts of things, and they're all still working like they should. If you look around your local big box home improvement store, near the paint department with the other adhesives, there are several different formulations and variations of JB Weld. IIRC, one of them can even be applied UNDER WATER. You'll also find all manner of plastic and fiberglass patching/welding solutions there as well.

I would try this first. If that didn't work, I know me, and I know I would give replacement a go myself. I would just spend A LOT of time (and water) cleaning out that old tank before I got down there and started removing it! With that being said, and now that I think about it, if replacement were the only option, I would ask around for a quote. If it didn't cost too much, I might hire it out. But I'm thinking it might be more expensive than I'd be willing to pay.

ETA: If the damage isn't huge, you could repair it with JB Weld, and then cover the repair with Eternabond tape. Kind of a "belt & suspenders" approach?

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 05:14 PM   #9

Try this https://www.rvwholesalers.com/parts/...7dkaAr_m8P8HAQ
elcheapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 05:19 PM   #10

You Tube video on repairing black tank
elcheapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 06:01 PM   #11

Aassuming (yes, I know what ASSUME means) it was caused by a tire blowout, wouldn't your insurance cover it?

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 07:30 AM   #12

My tank cracked and I used jb weld plastic epoxy in the syringe. You have to make sure that you get the stuff that will stick on polyethylene. Otherwise you will be repairing it twice. Make sure you sand the area to be repaired and clean it thoroughly with acetone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hivoltage98 is offline   Reply With Quote