Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-26-2015, 11:37 AM   #1

Creaks and Rattles

Just got back from a 400 mile roundtrip from NJ to MD with my 2015 Greyhawk 31FS. I now have a creaking noise coming from the window next to the dinette, that sounds like it is one good bump from shattering, and a rattle from the sofa side that is just annoying. Anyone experience these noises?
Grey2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 12:09 PM   #2

Yep! I have the same two exact noises! The window "Crack" seems intermittent but the couch squeaks constantly unless there is someone sitting on it! Annoying! I went 3,000 miles and the wife could not pinpoint the noise to a specific point in the couch after countless attempts to find the source. My wife refuses to drive the unit so I will have to get a driver and try to find myself. I'm curious if someone has narrowed and resolved these noises as well!
Cunning193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 02:29 AM   #3

My dinette window and house door are my main sources of noise that are driving me insane.
2012 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid (our TOAD on a DEMCO Dolly)
DW, DSx2, DDx2 Catx2 Dog
Tampa Bay Area of FL
CarlB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 07:24 AM   #4

Solved problem with the creaking and cracking of the window over the dinette on my 31 FS. Around the the whole inside window is a flat removable frame that is held there by screws. I went and applied pressure in places on this frame which duplicated the same noise as it does when driving on the highway. I removed the frame and installed (saturated with) clear silicone chalk. The window is solid but the frame was the moving part. It took some doing though as I had to remove the window shade assembly. Two long screws hold it up to the cabinet above. You will need an extra pair of hands to hold this window shade assembly in place when removing and then re-installing. This was my solution.
Oklahoma Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 08:38 AM   #5

CarlB, I also had door squeak that was very annoying. It took me quite a bit of probing and lubricating to locate it and I'm not sure exactly where it came from. It wasn't screen or door hinges. Most likely spot was the the door/screen latch area.
Old 07-27-2015, 08:52 AM   #6

Not sure on these in particular noises, but will say this. We experience some noises going east on I-10 for 800 miles. Expecting the same on the return trip. Did not hear a thing on the way back. It was the headwind coming at an angle going. On the return trip we didnt have the same conditions. My point, sometimes these rolling homes are subject to different external forces that may make them squeak.

We carry some foam tape with us, so if we find one we can deal with it. Coach door screen rattles now and then, but not all the time. Dining table is the source of many. A strip of foam up under the piece mounted to the wall will help. When the table is raised, it pushes against the foam when locked into place.

We have a squeak coming from the left drivers side mirror. After taking off the trim inside, noticed that the nut holding it on was cross threaded. I have still not found a way to deal with this one, but dry lube shot into it helped make it go away temporarily.

We have learned to catagorize squeaks, 1. just a little annoying 2. "honey go check that noises" 3: "I'm stopping to deal with this". Dont let them get to you and ruin your trip...
TX_Arvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 10:06 AM   #7

I have the same three level noise classification. The door creak comes and goes, based on road conditions. I did narrow it down to the metal portion below the screen as the source of noise. Thanks for the window creak possible location and fix. I will check that out later. All in all it still beats having to back in, unhook, and level a trailer. Don't miss that.
Grey2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 10:44 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_Arvee View Post
Dining table is the source of many. A strip of foam up under the piece mounted to the wall will help. When the table is raised, it pushes against the foam when locked into place.
Nice tip. Added to my to-do list.

My big issue was the bathroom door catches on the strike plate, but not very deep. It started swinging open while underway. Of course not on the test drive prior to purchase. I have to shim the strike plate out towards the door so it catches deeper.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 02:06 PM   #9

Jopopsy, that door is on a piano hinge, it may be possible to place a 1/8" or 1/4" dowl rod in the hinge and ever so lightly close the door which will bend the hing and shove the door closer to the jamb. This works on residential doors, but this flimzy constructed rv doors may not like it. Be careful if you try. You could also shim on the hinge side of the door..remove the piano hing and place a thin strip of wood along the edge of the door. Or just do what you did. My door tolerance if tighter than yours.
TX_Arvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 07:00 PM   #10

I hesitate putting a great deal of pressure on the hinges. I noticed the 2016s did not have the cabinet look on the door, but my 2015 does. All that extra wood makes the door heavier; I don't want to press my luck.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote