Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-10-2017, 10:00 PM   #1

dinette table

So the screws are falling out of the dinette table where it mounts to the metal bracket near the wall. The table top is made out of a particle board so even if I put bigger screws in it eventually the will back out. Does anyone have a better solution. I was thinking of maybe a nut and bolt through the counter top and counter sinking it so it would be flush.
Greyhawk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 03:53 AM   #2

You could have a custom countertop made.

wan-der-lust's YouTube Channel and Instagram

wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 07:00 AM   #3

dinette table

Try takeing all the screws out and drilling new holes in the metal bracket in new locations and putting epoxy in the stripped out holes,worth a try.......
submariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 08:25 AM   #4

Lol. I just crawled out from under the table because all the screws fell out. I had to laugh as I read your post. I tried putting some liquid nails between the bracket and table to see if that will help it hold till we get home. Still waiting for it to dry so I don't know if it will work or not.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 09:01 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

" putting epoxy in the stripped out holes,worth a try...."

X2. This works pretty good in concrete. I would imagine it will work best in this application. Otherwise, drill new holes in bracket to avoid area of pressed board that is damaged.

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 05:37 AM   #6

i'd take the table off, turn over and make the stripped holes bigger (maybe 3/8") with a drill. then fill with an epoxy filler and let it cure. Then drill the proper size hole for your screws and re-install.
the reason for the bigger hole is to give the screws something solid to bite into and it gives the epoxy more area to grab onto.
Hailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 01:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
Lol. I just crawled out from under the table because all the screws fell out. I had to laugh as I read your post. I tried putting some liquid nails between the bracket and table to see if that will help it hold till we get home. Still waiting for it to dry so I don't know if it will work or not.
Hahaha.....just crawled out from under mine 15 minutes ago. The table started wobbling during our recent trip but I knew when I tightened the screws it would not last. I like the epoxy suggestion...I'll get to it next week. May also want to use star washers between the screw head and the metal.
Kar Kaddy SS
javamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 03:10 PM   #8

After removing the table top I can't believe that it is only supported by a one inch lip using about 6 screws. They really should have extending that lip out much further. I think that no matter how good of a repair I do it won't stand a chance because of the small support area can't hold up to the force / leverage caused by someone pushing on the table while sliding into the seat or getting out. Not to mention that he gas strut holding the table up also exerts a lot of pressure on it. But I'm gonna give it a shot. I just picked up some #10 flush mount machine screws that I'm gonna put through the top of the table top into the brackets and secure with lock washer and nuts. I might even out a little construction adhesive between the table top and mounting bracket. Best part is you won't be able to see the screw heads when the table is up because it will be covered by the table stop.
Old 08-12-2017, 03:39 PM   #9

I too had to repair my dinette. The plywood glued to the underside of the table came unglued. I took it apart and cut groves in the underside and on the plywood then used epoxy and clamped it up. Reattached the top with the existing screws and added a few extra Seems to be holding up now. If it fails again I will go with the trough the top bolts as you suggested, .The stop will cover them it I drill it right. l
This company should be ashamed of the quality they are putting out. Dream dinette , more like nightmare dinette, it fell apart after one week.

So far I have had to remove a light over the vanity to get to a screw that was over driven and scratching the siding door in the bath room, repair the decorative molding on the main slide after it fell off the wall, had to reattach trim on bath door and the dining table. While nothing major just sort of a pain to take the time to correct things that should not have been an issue for a couple of years. Also had to replace the gas struts for the tv as they were 50 lb until and the tv would shoot up after every bump.

Now that I have vented. The unit is nice to drive and we have camped every weekend since we got it. So other than these gripes I loving it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 04:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVermont View Post
I too had to repair my dinette. The plywood glued to the underside of the table came unglued. I took it apart and cut groves in the underside and on the plywood then used epoxy and clamped it up. Reattached the top with the existing screws and added a few extra Seems to be holding up now. If it fails again I will go with the trough the top bolts as you suggested, .The stop will cover them it I drill it right. l
This company should be ashamed of the quality they are putting out. Dream dinette , more like nightmare dinette, it fell apart after one week.

So far I have had to remove a light over the vanity to get to a screw that was over driven and scratching the siding door in the bath room, repair the decorative molding on the main slide after it fell off the wall, had to reattach trim on bath door and the dining table. While nothing major just sort of a pain to take the time to correct things that should not have been an issue for a couple of years. Also had to replace the gas struts for the tv as they were 50 lb until and the tv would shoot up after every bump.

Now that I have vented. The unit is nice to drive and we have camped every weekend since we got it. So other than these gripes I loving it.

They have a patent on that!?!? You've got to be !@#$ing me! They sure don't need to worry about patent infringement! Hahaha
Kar Kaddy SS
Old 08-12-2017, 04:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVermont View Post
We all love driving it! It's just that the house is turning out to be a POS!
Kar Kaddy SS
Old 08-12-2017, 07:01 PM   #12

Here is a pic of my table the screws go right in to it. Javamon it looks like yours screws in to plywood that gets glued to the bottom of the table top. you can always glue a new strip of wood to your table top and rescrew it ever few years. Mine is just falling apart
Old 08-12-2017, 07:04 PM   #13

Trying to attch pics hope this works
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 08-12-2017, 07:06 PM   #14

Wow that really is falling apart. Not sure how to fix that.

Old 08-12-2017, 07:41 PM   #15

Im my opnion the one inch lip that the table screws to needs to be extended to 12 inches. Javamon your picture has me thinking that should glue and screw plywood to the bottom of my table then mount it to the brackett🤔
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 08-12-2017, 07:58 PM   #16

I hate my particle board dinette table and seldom use it. It got wet and the particle board swelled up, it weighs a ton. I'd love to find a board of some kind that is that size so I could make a new one. Suggestions???
Old 08-12-2017, 08:20 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhawk01 View Post
Im my opnion the one inch lip that the table screws to needs to be extended to 12 inches. Javamon your picture has me thinking that should glue and screw plywood to the bottom of my table then mount it to the brackett[emoji848]

There are two things with the top in the Seneca dinette. First the top has a 1.5 inch edge that drops down behind the bracket and there is a 1/2 piece of plywood glued on the bottom. The metal bracket is then screwed into the plywood. The drop edge is supposed to act as a tongue to lock the unit in place. And the screws should have a good base to screw into. If you want I can try to send some
Pictures to help visualize it. As long as the epoxy holds up it should be fairly solid.

Old 08-12-2017, 08:26 PM   #18

Thanks pics would be great
Old 08-12-2017, 08:35 PM   #19

Here is anoother picture of the table.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 08-12-2017, 08:49 PM   #20

Quote: