Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-15-2015, 11:21 AM   #21

Big hint so you don't break your cabinets (especially if held together only by staples) ... heavy things low, light things high. For example, if you have cast iron skillets or cookware sets (e.g., Magma nested) or canned goods, get them low to reduce the bouncing impact whereas silicone collapsibles, plastic/paper ware, or chips and bread can be stored high. Remember that plastic tubs or bins with lids are your best friends! For us, each camper has a small laundry basket they use for packing and moving their stuff into the TT; these tubs often come in handy during the trip because they fit well into the floor's nooks-and-crannies during transit (keeping things from rolling and sliding) AND can be easily placed outside if they are in the way. Be creative and consider multi-use.

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 11:30 AM   #22

I use laundry baskets to take the stuff going in the frig and canned supplies/bread, etc. out to the trailer and then the baskets stay stacked together in the trailer parked in the tub for the dirty clothes and to bring the leftover frig stuff back into the house at trip's end. We don't use the tub/shower while camping but use the campground shower house instead. The tub is a great place for us to store stuff to keep it out of the way. I used to keep our cast iron skillet in the oven but I've found this oven's door tips open when traveling and the skillet ended up on the floor. Now it's stored under the booth seat on some of the sticky-type mesh shelf liner I bought from Dollar Tree. Searching the aisles of Dollar Tree you can find all kinds of cheap useful things for the trailer and if it doesn't work out, there's not a lot of money invested in it.
gloryb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 02:28 PM   #23

Wife puts paper plates between the dishes and in between the bowls. This keeps them from banging against each other and driving you crazy! For the pans she puts the kitchen towels in between. For cups we bought one of those "spike" cup holders from BB-Beyond.

Any man can treat a lady right for one night, but it takes a great man to treat her right for the rest of her life.
GrayHawk51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 03:47 PM   #24

You can stuff a pillow in there if you are using glass and not plastic.
lodiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 05:02 PM   #25

We put our "real" glasses (not plastic) in those insulated sleeves that beer cups are often seen in, or we alternate between glass and plastic when packing (never have glass next to glass), or we sometimes wrap a glass with a kitchen towel or dish cloth, or sometimes do all of the above. Never had a problem.
John K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 07:20 AM   #26

Well it certainly looks like everyone has their own system. Thanks for all the suggestions. I can do all plastic except I will NOT drink wine out of plastic haha. I'll work that out I'm sure. Happy Monday everyone.
Charlene20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 08:57 AM   #27

At the suggestion of many others, I went with Corel dishes/cups, and clear plastic glasses. Got tired of filling up the grey water tank with dish water, so started using paper plates for every day, and using the Corel only for "special occasions". To keep everything securely in place (including pot & pans, and cooking utensils), I built what I call "Nesting Racks". I used thin Luanne plywood as a base. I laid the plates/glasses/etc. on the plywood and positioned pieces of dowel rod between them to lock them in place. After marking the dowel locations on the plywood, I dipped the dowel pieces in "Plasti-Dip" to add just a little cushion. I then laid rubber shelf liner on the plywood, and screwed UP though the plywood into the bottom of the dowel rods. I also cut pieces of the shelf liner to put between each stacked dish/bowl/etc. After 1-1/2 years on the road full-time. I'm very happy with the results. (See attached pics):
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00075.jpg   DSC00077.jpg   DSC00068.jpg   DSC00070.jpg   DSC00071.jpg  

DSC00083.jpg  
Old 11-16-2015, 10:52 AM   #28

It started with the gear from our tent camping days: Enamel over steel plates, stainless steel cups. lightweight pots and a small cutting board.

Since moving up to a TT, more pots & pans and acrylic tumblers. Even a glass tea pot.

Anyone know where to buy Corel? The enamel over steel plates and the microwave are having 'issues'.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 11:51 AM   #29

This has been working for me in the cupboard above the kitchen sink in my fifth. It's a curtain rod - one of those that twists on tight at the end (got it at a $ store). Keeps the tall coffee mugs, boxes and containers of food stuff from falling over. I also keep non slip liner on the bottom of the cupboards and slip dishtowels, face cloths (whatever is handy!) between breakable things. Got to get some of that Corielle tho as I have broken a few plates (I just don't like eating off a paper plate!).
Attached Thumbnails
20151116_103609-1.jpg  
MzLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 11:59 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
Anyone know where to buy Corel? The enamel over steel plates and the microwave are having 'issues'.
Amazon ... and search for CORELLE - lots of fun patterns and many are often on sale. Dropped one plate recently on our tile floor and it just bounced! Note that the mugs are NOT Corelle so they may chip/break. On EBay you can get older sets that do have Corelle cups.

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 12:02 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattie View Post
Amazon ... and search for CORELLE - lots of fun patterns and many are often on sale. Dropped one recently on our tile floor and it just bounced!
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
Thank you! Thank you!
Thank you!

I thought they were out of production.
Wrong again!

Did I remember to say "Thanks"?

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 04:00 PM   #32

+1 for Corelle. We got ours on sale at Target before we even picked up the trailer. A whole set (for 4) is not all that expensive, and then we have real dishes when we want them. We still keep a stack of paper plates in the cabinet, especially for when we don't have sewer hookups, or when we're eating outside.

Honestly though, we really haven't had anything move around on us. I guess I'm just a good driver

Seriously though, not much moves around in our camper in transit, and for stuff that does, we have tie downs or we "nest" it with other stuff so it all stays secure. Of course, you need to use caution when opening upper cabinets, but that's just a standard rule.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 04:33 PM   #33

WalMart also carries Corelle. I have had a set for 25+ years. The only thing that's broken are the fruit/cereal dishes and the saucers. I think I'm down to one dish out of a set for 8 and have about 4 saucers left. The plates have survived well though. Corelle is my favorite over my Fiesta!
gloryb is offline   Reply With Quote