Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-10-2011, 08:19 PM   #1

Do I need a spare tire for a Greyhawk?

I have traded my 26BH for a new Greyhawk 31SS. Plan to pick it up Friday. I got to thinking today that I didn't see any sign of a spare tire on it. When I called the salesperson, he said thay no longer come with a spare tire. Is this true? If so, what do I do if I have a flat? If I call for roadside assistance, do they bring a spare tire with them, or do they fix the flat on the spot? I'm confused. If I did have a spare tire, and had no cell phone service, would I even be likely to be able to change the tire myself? What do you all do in case of a flat tire while on the road? Also are all the whees interchangable? eg, will the front wheel fit on the rear? Please excuse my ignorance, if these questions seem elementary.
Jay Flight 26BH - traded for Greyhawk
MichaelD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 06:45 AM   #2

When we got our 31 SS this year I had the same thought but looking back over the 42 years of driving, I have had 2 flat tires in over a million miles of driving so I just play the percentages. But if a spare is what you need, then buy a spare tire without a rim and call a commercial mobile repair service and let them do the work. All the tires are interchangeable and as far and changing it yourself it can be done but is a big job and you need to now buy a jack. Lack of cell service could be a problem but each day the coverage gets better. Life is a risk sometimes. As for any other questions you might have about the Greyhawk this forum is the place to ask.
One thing about you purchase if you are far from the dealer make sure everything works and that he goes over everything about the unit. Having to take it back for warranty work a few hundred miles is not good. Use the manual as your guide for what needs to be covered. I would think that 2 to 4 hours would be normal time. Don't let the dealer rush you. Jayco from what I understand tells the dealer to explain the unit to you.

Congratulations on the new Greyhawk!!!!!! We just did our first long trip, 1600 miles from California to Oregon and Washington and back. The Hawk did fine, no problems what so ever. Life was very comfortable during the 3 weeks. We were told that we would get between 8 and 10 by the dealer but from the forum 8 would be the norm, we got 9.3 and the driving was not all on flat highways. I bought a Scangauge to see what my mileage was and to train my lead foot to keep off the gas. The best mpg as at 57 mph per the gauge and GPS but the speedometer saying 60.
Once again congratulations, your are going to like the Greyhawk!!!!!!!!!
The Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:51 PM   #3

Our new Melbourne did not come with a spare either. Has space for it but but no mounting gear.
Saleman told me the same thing.
Other members told me that you didn't want to even try to change a tire on a mh.
Who knows !!!
Tom Copeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:15 PM   #4

Jim and Tom,
Thanks for the feedback. I'll depend on roadside assistance and quit worrying about the lack of a spare tire. You guys have been very helpful.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:04 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelD View Post
Jim and Tom,
Thanks for the feedback. I'll depend on roadside assistance and quit worrying about the lack of a spare tire. You guys have been very helpful.
Mike,

Hate to rain on the parade, but I do have a spare on my Granite Ridge and I wouldn't be without one.

Although I have never had a blow-out on this RV or my fifth wheels, I did have a pop-up that blew tires on a regular basis. I can't tell you how many times I was ripped off by being charged twice the regular cost of a replacement or more.

I started carrying the tire I needed, in addition to the regular spare since it was always easy to get it mounted for little $$.

Good luck!
2006 Granite Ridge 2900GS
2015 Montana High Country 345RL
cdrcos@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:00 AM   #6

We have a 2010 31 SS and the spare is just forward of the rear bumper.
daviddudek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:37 PM   #7

If you want to carry a spare, it's simple to have a welder fabricate a mount to slide into the hitch receiver. Cost me a $100.00 and well worth the peace of mind. Remember, if you use the hitch receiver for the spare tire mount, you cannot simultaneously tow a trailer. The tire mount can be designed to also include the option of an extended hitch receiver for trailer towing. I still intend to call a roadside service to change the tire. I carry a bottle jack only for absolute emergencies.
001952119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:54 AM   #8

Most people cannot lift one of those tires into place anyway... and the tire is heavy so it cost you fuel to lug it around.. Your Jayco will come with one year roadside asst just renew that if you need peace of mind.
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 07:27 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
Most people cannot lift one of those tires into place anyway... and the tire is heavy so it cost you fuel to lug it around.. Your Jayco will come with one year roadside asst just renew that if you need peace of mind.
I have a friend who had no spare and called roadside assistance to replace a blown tire. It was replaced with the only tire available, a cheap Chinese-made tire, and they were charged more than a good tire would have cost. He had to replace it at the first opportunity for peace of mind and paid again for another tire.

That is why I carry a spare.
2006 Granite Ridge 2900GS
2015 Montana High Country 345RL
cdrcos@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 07:37 AM   #10

x2 Joe! Some people just have to learn the hard way.
001952119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 12:53 PM   #11

I am new to this motorhome, my other two did have spares.
Our Seneca 34SS did not come with one to my dismay, for about $200
I put together a used tire and rim of the same type on the unit a placed it in a center
storage bay. On our 7000 mile trip I had the peace of mind knowing it was there.
We have "AAA plus RV" coverage but that only covers a spare tire change out not
a replace tire at the side of the road situation.
After reading this thread prior to our trip I knew a spare was needed.
quadnkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 07:29 PM   #12

That's what I did also. A local tire dealer that found me a wheel and used tire. Got in mounted and balanced. Total investment about $200. Hope I never need it, but it's good to know it's there.
Old 11-26-2011, 08:17 PM   #13

Curt and Reese both sell a spare tire carrier that mounts into your 2" Trailer Hitch receiver. If you need the hitch for a toad, Curt and also sells a piggy back hitch for a bicycle carrier, a male trailer hitch with a female 2" receiver welded to the top, that you can mount your spare tire carrier on. They work pretty slick. Have fun.
billayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:30 AM   #14

I have an older Greyhawk, it's a 2000 28'er. It has a spare with the lift system for getting it in and out of place. Haven't had a flat on it, in the three years we've owned it. I attribute that to the fact that I'm 'Prepared'.

I do carry a bottle jack, breaker bar, cheater bar, extension and socket, to change it with. Oh yes, I also carry the wrench to get the wheel covers off with.

I'm sure I pay a bit for the piece of mind, in fuel. But I'm good with that.

Oh, by the way. I you do have to change a tire. Use your knees and toes to wiggle it into position, Don't try to use your arms, once you've rolled it into position. You Will hurt yourself. They really aren't that heavy, unless they've grown since they made mine, just clumsy, and they have a good bit of torque holding them on. Mine are 16" wheels, if they've gone to 19.5s or larger they could be heavier.
rehoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:52 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelD View Post
I have traded my 26BH for a new Greyhawk 31SS. Plan to pick it up Friday. I got to thinking today that I didn't see any sign of a spare tire on it. When I called the salesperson, he said thay no longer come with a spare tire. Is this true? If so, what do I do if I have a flat? If I call for roadside assistance, do they bring a spare tire with them, or do they fix the flat on the spot? I'm confused. If I did have a spare tire, and had no cell phone service, would I even be likely to be able to change the tire myself? What do you all do in case of a flat tire while on the road? Also are all the whees interchangable? eg, will the front wheel fit on the rear? Please excuse my ignorance, if these questions seem elementary.
The spare is cheep now because your not on the road if you need to buy a new tire on the road it will be 2-3 maybe 4 times the price as buying it before you need it. Remember when it blows in the middle of no-where service stations see you as high profit to them. So buy a jack & 4-way tire iron as well.
2015 Silverado 2500
rodro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:13 AM   #16

I would never leave home without a spare. Of course I am a bit anal about being self sufficient on the road. In addition to the spare (and the tools to change it), a 3 ton floor jack, 165psi 120v air compressor, and torque wrench to make sure the replaced tire is the right torque. I use the compressor all the time to top off my tires when leaving a camp site since 80+ psi is hard to find now days in most gas stations even if you can get your rig to the air hose if they even have air.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:22 PM   #17

I too just purchased a Greyhawk and am nervous about not having a spare. Can you advise where to purchase a wheel for these motorhomes? Thanks!!
cyclops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:39 AM   #18

Alot of it boils down to how much are you willing to be inconvienced having to hault your vacation/travels sitting on the side of the road in the middle of no where waiting for road side assistance vs. (if your able to ) remove the spare and change the tire yourself thus keeping your down time minimal. Having the proper jack/chocks/wrench and knowledge is key also. My Jayco came with a spare and the TT is small and light enough I could handle it myself but not too sure about those 35 footers :0 . I would make sure to have a spare on hand just in case so whenever roadside assistance shows they can install something that properly sized/rated for the TT. Half the time Im sure a passer-by would likley stop and change it for you anyways. just my thoughts..carry on.
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:43 AM   #19

We've had two blow-outs over the years. Both those tt's had a spare. We are fortunate that we can change a tire. When we purchase our next tt, the spare will be thrown into the 'deal' on that one also

Just another thought.... some interstates/state highways have little/no cell reception (parts of I-70 are like that going through Utah). I wouldn't want to have to rely on our CB radio to contact someone who ultimately can phone RoadSideAssistance for us. Takes too much time. As xJay1 mentioned regarding someone helping... amazing how other traveler's stop and offer to help switch out the flat for the spare
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:24 AM   #20

Whenever I bought a vehicle by law it had to have a spare. Times must be changing but I cant imagine going anywhere without a spare tire. I have never had a blow-out but have seen bubbles on my tires and had to change them. Anyone who thins they dont need a spare tire just travel on I-10 in the summer and see all the rubber on the road and the cars and trucks on the side with blowed out tires.