Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-30-2016, 09:11 AM   #1

Does the Seneca have enough power

We just got back from a four wheeling trip to Colorado. I haven't put the Seneca on the scales yet, but I don't think we were packed real heavy. I had 1/3 fresh water and empty black and grey tanks. I was towing a Can Am Maverick side by side on a 12' aluminum trailer. About 2500lbs. We were traveling on I-40 from little rock to Colorado. It just seemed like we were struggling a bit to maintain speed on any kind of grade. Temp shot up and fan came on every time we hit a hill. If it was a long grade the fan may come on two to three times before we got over the hill. I had the cruise set at 68mph. The outside temps were 100 plus across western Oklahoma and Texas panhandle. I'm sure that had an effect on the temp and fan, but I wouldn't think that would effect power. Makes me wonder if I will be able to tow my jeep unlimited when we get ready to take it. We had a V10 class A prior to getting the Seneca. I was hoping for a power upgrade moving to the Seneca, but not sure we got much of an upgrade. However we never took the class A out west so it's hard to compare. Just curious what others think.

What does everyone else tow, and how does the Seneca handle the weight?
Is there anyway to get more power out of the 6.7Cummins? Is the tranny the limiting issue? I notice there is a 6.7 Cummins listed at 360hp and 800 torque. Anyway to get to that number with a flash?

seneca37rb15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 09:54 AM   #2

"...cruise set at 68 MPH" ??? Are you also inclined to take a 3 week holiday in 1 week?

Harvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 10:52 AM   #3

The Seneca has a pretty good power to weight ratio but if you're expecting the rig to hold 68 going up long and/or steep grades, prepare to be disappointed. A V10 would be screaming going up the same grades. Going up long grades in overdrive you should expect speed to drop off plus you will risk overheating the trans. On steep or long grades take the trans out of overdrive. Keep the revs up. And take it out of cruise. Expect to be about in the same speed class as semi's. I find that I am faster than some uphill and slower than others.

For a price you can get more power in a Dynamax Force HD or DX3.

Yeah that fan is noisy but you'll find that in 100 degree temps it will kick in every now and then.

2015 Jayco Seneca 36 FK
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited tow
2010 Tiffin RED 36 QSA - gone
2011 Monaco Monarch class A - gone
WaltW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 11:06 AM   #4

Our Memorial Weekend trip consisted of a fully loaded Seneca FK towing our 28' flatbed of ATV's and equipment. We scaled at 8640 Front Axle, 16,020 Rear Axle and 3700 on the Trailer Dual Axles. Total = 28,360 combined.

Take what Walt said in the post above - it will climb the grades just fine if you take the Overdrive OFF and take the Cruise OFF. We rolled 70-75 most of the trip, but you should expect to drop out of OD and slow down a little bit on the grades. The cooling system is going to kick in at 200 degrees, and it is like any other Medium Duty Truck/Tractor with the extra cooling noise - especially with outside temps 100.
SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 12:37 PM   #5

Also keep in mind you are at altitude, where the air is thinner. On hot days, thinner still and lower on oxygen. Even with a turbocharger, it's starting at a very low point in terms of cooling air and combustion air. Expect to drop HP, and when you simply keep the hammer down expecting everything the engine has, and it cannot produce the power you are demanding due to a lack of oxygen, you will produce more heat as well. It will get rid of less heat because of the ambient temperature and because of the thinner air. From a purely technical perspective, this is how engines are overheated and destroyed. Consider this a cheap lesson in not expecting the impossible from your powertrain, assuming you got it back home in one piece.
Old 07-30-2016, 12:39 PM   #6

pretty much did what everyone said. The cruise sets on 68 to 70. Just seemed like on very slight grades I was to the floor trying to keep it at 55. I always dropped it out of overdrive when my speed got below 55. Altitude shouldn't affect the diesel like it does a gas. Just curious if my experience was the same as others.
Old 07-30-2016, 12:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvard View Post
"...cruise set at 68 MPH" ??? Are you also inclined to take a 3 week holiday in 1 week?
Too fast? Since we are still employed we can't waste much time.lol. We typically drive 10 to 12 hour days.
Old 07-30-2016, 12:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
Our Memorial Weekend trip consisted of a fully loaded Seneca FK towing our 28' flatbed of ATV's and equipment. We scaled at 8640 Front Axle, 16,020 Rear Axle and 3700 on the Trailer Dual Axles. Total = 28,360 combined.

Take what Walt said in the post above - it will climb the grades just fine if you take the Overdrive OFF and take the Cruise OFF. We rolled 70-75 most of the trip, but you should expect to drop out of OD and slow down a little bit on the grades. The cooling system is going to kick in at 200 degrees, and it is like any other Medium Duty Truck/Tractor with the extra cooling noise - especially with outside temps 100.

I'm sorry if this is a dumb question....is there a way to manually switch out of OD on e450?

Maestro402
------------
"Life is better in my RV"
Maestro402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 01:50 PM   #9

Switch for E450 OD

On our 2004 E450 there is a button at the end of the "PND21" lever to deselect/select OD.
Harvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 01:51 PM   #10

Mine is tow/haul.

Maestro402
------------
"Life is better in my RV"

Maestro402 is offline   Reply With Quote