Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-14-2016, 05:34 PM   #1

Door window shade

When sun shines in my FK's entrance door window it blinds anyone sitting on the couch. I wanted to know if anybody has had any luck with putting up a shade or tinting the glass. I would perfer tint because i dont want to deal with a shade possibly falling down everytime i open the door but im not sure if the textured glass can be tinted. Thanks
Greyhawk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 06:17 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhawk01 View Post
When sun shines in my FK's entrance door window it blinds anyone sitting on the couch. I wanted to know if anybody has had any luck with putting up a shade or tinting the glass. I would perfer tint because i dont want to deal with a shade possibly falling down everytime i open the door but im not sure if the textured glass can be tinted. Thanks
I have the same problem with my 29MV. Except that it blinds the GPS and radio. Also bugs me with glare reflecting. I see many of the rental Class C's have a "doggie" looking out from the door. Been trying to find out where I can get that decal with the hopes of that solving the problem.

just saying......

Any man can treat a lady right for one night, but it takes a great man to treat her right for the rest of her life.
GrayHawk51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 07:08 PM   #3

We have a 36FK as well and had the same problem. I bought this on Amazon for $8:

Camco 45167 SunShield Reflective Door Window Cover

It attaches with Velcro around the perimeter of the window. It has stayed in place for going on 2 years now.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
2014 Honda CR-V toad

anav8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 06:50 AM   #4

I just ordered the camco door window shade and I also got one for the bathroom sky light. I think they will take care of the problem thanks.
Greyhawk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 01:34 AM   #5

Has anyone tried the MCD screen door pull up shade?

Screen Door | MCD Innovations
Save

Save
CA-Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 06:32 AM   #6

Have a look at this thread.
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f1...dow-48649.html
We installed one and it works great and easy to do.

2020 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak Titanium
2013 Eagle 29.5RKS (traded in)
2013 Ford 6.7L diesel F350
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 08:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmik Debris View Post
Have a look at this thread.
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f1...dow-48649.html
We installed one and it works great and easy to do.
Thanks for the link. This is going on my Wish List!
Save

Save
Old 09-16-2017, 11:04 PM   #8

My wife sews, so we crafted our own curtain for the 31FK door. Two spring loaded curtain rods at the top and bottom.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 07:40 AM   #9

As stated in another post, we upgraded our 2015 37FS with the option available on the 2017 or 2018 of a valance and roll up awning over the entry door. Works great! The valance over the door, makes the area look complete.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 08:55 PM   #10

We picked up our MH and would you believe it has an entry door valance and pull down shade? Can't believe we didn't notice that before. A pleasant surprise!

Ric and Jan - You're so right ... it looks very complete and finished!
Save

Save
Old 12-31-2017, 05:52 AM   #11
Lost in the Woods

I replaced the entire original door window, which was "frosted" and did not allow clear view outside. So, I bought an AP Products 015-201512 Slim Shade. It's a window kit with integrated shade and fit my Seneca perfectly.

I wanted to see out during the day, and close it completely at night. This works and it's easy and has been reliable. The glass is tinted also, which helps in Florida heat. I also had all the windows in the whole thing tinted to 5% "limo tint."

Does not affect view outside from inside, but significantly reduces heat and view from outside to inside.
RayBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 09:50 AM   #12

2017 too

Our 2017 MV has a factory installed shade and valance as well, just have to remember to pull up the shade before opening the door or walk into or under it!
Baldfacemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 10:18 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA-Texas View Post
Has anyone tried the MCD screen door pull up shade?

Screen Door | MCD Innovations
When we had our motorhome, I replaced all the pleated shades with MCD and the put on a door shade with MCD's. However I did not like the door shade very well. If you go in and out a lot, it is a PIA because it attached under the valance. All the rest of the MCD's are fantastic. We traded the motorhome for travel trailer. I recently purchased window shades for the TT bedroom as they block light really well, plus I like the day shade underneath. For the windows on both doors in the TT, I purchased the reflective window cover mentioned above and had them covered on the inside with white vinyl/leather. They are attached with Velcro. I did the same with the sky lights. Next I am changing out the living area to the MCD's. We keep our camper at the beach in the summer and they really block the heat. (Also the skylight covers make a huge difference in heat block too).

"Let the Reel Cool Times Roll !!!!!
ReelCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 01:41 PM   #14
Lost in the Woods

Did you get the automated MCD shades or the manual variety? I'm working on it this week and am considering the MCD's vs. the Dicor. Not sure yet. MCD has been difficult in terms of cooperation, but that certainly does not speak of their product. I need a little help in discerning their dimensions and requirements, and so far they've not helped me past my questions.

I'm chalking it up to employees distracted by holidays and am going to take another crack at it this coming week. Any thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks.
RayBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 02:15 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayBo View Post
Did you get the automated MCD shades or the manual variety? I'm working on it this week and am considering the MCD's vs. the Dicor. Not sure yet. MCD has been difficult in terms of cooperation, but that certainly does not speak of their product. I need a little help in discerning their dimensions and requirements, and so far they've not helped me past my questions.
I am not familiar with Dicor. We bought the MCD manual. My husband measured the windows exactly from the directions on the website - measuring inside the valance from side to side. Then make the adjustments from the instructions. This allows for clearance with the side valances when pulling the shade down. It is intimidating because you definitely do not want to make a mistake. You need to make sure the valance is deep enough to fit the shade - I believe it is 4". But overall we had no problems with measurements. We had one that did not retract correctly in the motorhome and the tech at MCD was very helpful explaining how to adjust. It was the largest window shades. The initial contact with ordering is a little challenging but the online instructions were ok. For the travel trailer I also bought a shade for the kitchen window to replace the mini blind. The valance was not deep enough to fit it. We are having a deeper valance made which required ordering fabric from Jayco. You definitely need the 4" clearance. I am still trying to explain to my husband why that kitchen shade was necessary!

"Let the Reel Cool Times Roll !!!!!
ReelCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 09:50 AM   #16

CA-Texas,
Where you bought entry balance and pull down shade. It look nice.
qnghiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 10:07 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by qnghiem View Post
CA-Texas,
Where you bought entry balance and pull down shade. It look nice.
gnghiem...this thread is from last year so you might not get a reply. I know the newer Greyhawks like mine and I assume the newer Seneca's all come with a pull down shade over the entrance door now.

I would call Jayco and ask about that one. Only problem with the factory shade is it is between the door and screen door so you have to open the door to pull it down. otherwise it works great.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 10:18 AM   #18

Thanks CabinetMaker. What model greyhawk u had. Mine is 2018 greyhawk 26y. I just wonder do you have issue with storage compartment sagging due to make by plastic.
qnghiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 10:52 AM   #19

Mcd

Ray - you said that MCD has been difficult - in what way? - I have found their customer service on the phone to be really good and we love the manuel shades although the DW will pull them down beyond where you can retract them normally but it is an easy fix ( but I’m not telling her that ) Les

Les & Sandy
2016 Seneca HJ - Scangauge D - Truma Comfort
560 watts solar - Blue Sky 3024iL -IPN ProRemote - Trojan T-105RE
Good Sam Life Member - FMCA Member - Passport America
Les7h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 10:59 AM   #20

I put in tinted glass and also bought a shade from IKEA and the glass was about 20 and the shade was another 20.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg