Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-24-2016, 04:15 PM   #1

DPF and EGR delete and engine tune

Anyone done this to their Seneca Cummins engine?
Looking to wake this engine up and remove the EPA choke collars my Seneca has on it to improve power, performance and fuel economy.
Hoping there is someone who has done it on their Motorhome.
Old 07-24-2016, 07:14 PM   #2

Might not be many takers since our engines have a 5-year/100,000 mile warranty. Risky in the event of a failure, however unlikely that may be.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 12:19 PM   #3

I don't have a Seneca but do have a Ram with the 6.7 Cummins. My dealer also has Ford and Chevy locations and one of the largest truck dealers in the nation. They put on a monthly diesel clinic with diesel managers from all 3 locations and they recommended two things:

- Never delete or chip under warranty unless you want to be your own warranty
- If you delete you will lose $6000 at trade-in because they have to put that stuff back on to legally sell it

Don't know if the above is true for the Seneca but something to consider.
estesbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 12:28 PM   #4

Too much risk in my opinion. The DPF was problematic in my Ram pickup because I made lots of short trips around town and it never had time to complete the re-gen. Quite the opposite of my RV usage where I have looooooong uninterrupted trips with a relatively heavy engine load. I do not expect it to ever be a problem in the time I will own it.

When shopping for a used diesel pickup I always avoid any modded trucks especially tuned and deleted stuff. I imagine I'm not alone and I really don't want to shrink an already tiny pool of super-c buyers when it comes time to sell.

Plus... the tuners and delete kits are not free by a longshot. Any MPG you might pick up will more than likely not save enough to justify the cost of the tuner.

Just my opinion.
AaronM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 12:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronM View Post

Plus... the tuners and delete kits are not free by a longshot. Any MPG you might pick up will more than likely not save enough to justify the cost of the tuner.

Just my opinion.
Especially if you end up like a friend of ours, with a blown engine.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 12:58 PM   #6
Site Team

If I had not had the EGR delete installed in my 06 F350, it would have been junked years ago!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 02:43 PM   #7

Remember if you "delete" the emissions equipment and go to a Freightliner dealer (for work other than engine repairs)or a Cummins shop, they cannot LEGALLY let the vehicle leave until the emissions is working properly. The EPA is dropping their unelected hammer on this stuff.
RockHaulerLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 03:38 PM   #8

FWIW, I have some extensive experience in this area. At least as it applies for Ford motors.

Best case scenario, you gain some power and have no issues.

Worse case scenario, you get busted by DOT, your truck gets impounded and you get to pay some serious fines.

Now your not likely to garner the attention of a knowledgeable patrolman in a motorhome but you do need to be aware of they path your going down should you choose to do these mods.

I've got some real life hands on experience with both situations. As they say, you have to pay to play.

Im not going to debate the ethical side as I believe government has gotten to big for it's own good and certain agencies have much more power and scope than was ever intended.... but thats just my opinion and many people believe we need to be protected from ourselves.
Old 07-25-2016, 04:45 PM   #9

well I know I have done some research into tuning and deleting and I am not going to do it with my 2011 f250 .. I looked at a number of trucks in that year and price range and with around 90000 to 100000 miles and the ones that were deleted did not appeal to me. there was a gmc denali that had been dpf and egr deleted with exhaust changed and I noticed on the paper work it had been in the shop for checkup and had a check engine light and a reflash which told me there was a problem with the computer and the changes to the engine. I ended up buying a truck that had no changes from factory and had plenty of power but no drone so my wife and I can actually carry on a conversation. I would not buy one that has been changed from factory