Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-23-2015, 02:13 PM   #1

Drawers opening while traveling?

We just took our first trip in the new Jayco 31UL and we have the bottom drawer under the stove that keeps coming open..the 3rd small drawer in the cabinet in front of the refrigerator. And the pull out counter next to couch/stove even slid out..i slammed these shut..they arent overloaded..anyone else with these issues?
sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 02:36 PM   #2

Yes, been down this road. Only one we had trouble with was the big drawer under the stove on our Greyhawk. It's due to having too much weight in the drawer.. You have to be careful too, as ours pulled the rear supports right out of the floor due to the weight. I was amazed at the type of hardware Jayco used to secure the supports to the floor, but that's another thread. I secured the supports to the floor with proper screws. I then purchased an adhesive strap from Wallyworld that works perfect for this application. This will solve your problem, but may look tacky if you are using several. Mine looks fine as it's hardly noticeable due to the location. Hope this helps.

2015 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS
Shakedown St. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 02:38 PM   #3

Thanks..i took a lot of the pans out..put them other places..still came open..lol.. Maybe ill try your method!
Old 05-23-2015, 04:07 PM   #4

I've owned 6 trailers and everyone had drawers that opened during travel. Short of screwing them shut during traveling, yes it's annoying and I've learned to live with it.

2012 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4 5.7 Hemi 4.10
2015 Jayco Eagle 284BHBE
2009 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 256RKS
2007 Jayflight 20BH
1997 Fleetwood Cheyenne PUP
1984 Rockwood 1080 - PUP 1969 Coleman PUP
gcloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 05:44 PM   #5

best solution when traveling a screw eye on either side of drawer run a bungie cord between them, works every time, been using this trick for over 40 years on boats and rv, also its easy to open cabinets and drawers when moving, plus i am a cheap guy, love bungie cords and duct tape
walkingeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 06:51 PM   #6
Site Team

We also had an issue with the drawers ALWAYS opening while traveling. I replaced the plastic drawer locks and we still had the problem. Two times I had to reassemble the glides.

I decided to drill a hole in the back of the drawers, and a hole in the wall that separates the drawer area and the kitchen sink. I went out and purchased 2 (3") eye bolts and 2 nuts/washers each. I mounted the eye bolt on the back of each drawer with the EYE part of it sliding through the sink/drawer wall. I cut 2 pieces of dowel rods and when we travel I put the dowel rod through the eye bolt and it keeps the drawers from opening while traveling. Sorry the picture came out a little dark, but you get the idea. Click on the picture to get a little better view of the bolt.

So far it works GREAT

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Drawer Eye Bolt Locks.jpg  
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 07:51 AM   #7

Thanks everyone..we have had 2 TT before and never had this issue..as a first time motor home owner is was a bit detressing to have the draws keep opening!
Old 05-24-2015, 01:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheila View Post
Thanks everyone..we have had 2 TT before and never had this issue..as a first time motor home owner is was a bit detressing to have the draws keep opening!
I'm on my 3rd Jayco unit in about 15 years and never had a problem with drawers coming open. Had stuff fall out of the refrigerator when I opened the door but not from the drawers coming open while traveling.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 02:04 PM   #9

Has anyone tried using those little plastic things which are to keep small children from opening drawers?
Tatanka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 11:27 AM   #10

No..wonder if that would work? I was thinking of getting small double hooks..putting them sideways and doing like the other gentleman suggested and using bungie cords..then i can use the hooks for potholders, etc..right? Lol..could work..
Old 05-25-2015, 02:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatanka View Post
Has anyone tried using those little plastic things which are to keep small children from opening drawers?
Used them in my 29 bhs. Worked great.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:30 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheila View Post
We just took our first trip in the new Jayco 31UL and we have the bottom drawer under the stove that keeps coming open..the 3rd small drawer in the cabinet in front of the refrigerator. And the pull out counter next to couch/stove even slid out..i slammed these shut..they arent overloaded..anyone else with these issues?
This is common and as you can see there are various ways to deal with it. You should be able to jury-rig something easier than unloading the drawer. Our 2 drawers under the sink would often come open so we slide one handle of our kitchen tongs through the 2 handles to "connect" them and then they usually stay in.

We have another friend who has purchased those long cover twist-tie type things and thread those through their drawer handle. Amazon.com: The Most Amazing Gear Ties (4-Pack of 12 Inch Ties). Use For Organizing, Bundling, Securing Your Cell Phone, Tablet, Laptop, Headphones, Ear Buds and Other Electronics Cords / Cables To Keep Them Tangle Free. Use at Home, Office, Garage,

Good luck.
2006 Granite Ridge 2900GS
2015 Montana High Country 345RL
cdrcos@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 08:43 AM   #13

I've had this problem on my two previous MHs. Solved it by adding a second drawer latch just like the one already installed.
Old 05-26-2015, 09:06 AM   #14

On my previous Chateau and now on my Seneca I have experienced the "opening drawer" issue. On both units I installed the child resistant latches that only allow the drawer to open about an inch and then you have to depress the latch to get drawer to open all the way. Easy to install and out of sight. I put one on each side of the drawers. While I find my drawers still move some while travelling, they only open that one inch and then stop. They don't slide out enough to get sufficient momentum to cause damage when they hit their end 'stop". That did happen in my Chateau and I was forced to rebuild the cheaply constructed drawer, and then I installed the latches. Never had any more trouble for 8 years. Put them on my Seneca after the under-stove drawers opened (even though empty!) on the way home after initial delivery!

Home Depot has a great selection of these products, that is where I sourced mine.
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 09:39 AM   #15

You guys have fantastic ideas! Thank you! We had to take it in for a couple of leaks in the bathroom. I asked them to check the drawer and our side door as it was open and stairs out we we drove into rest area..that shouldnt happen at all!
Old 05-26-2015, 02:57 PM   #16

Same problem on several of my drawers. I found that it was an adjustment issue for mine. The receiver was too far back, therefore never fully capturing the stud. You can try to move yours forward. May or may not be the cause for yours..
bgermane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 10:13 AM   #17

Installed a second latch in the drawer under the stove. We did not have it overloaded, it just needed more help staying shut. Works like a charm.
CDandCJandthedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 11:10 AM   #18

Mine is the same way that one drawer on the bottom comes out, put a spatula thru handles now it stays shut
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote