Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-07-2015, 05:53 AM   #1

Driveshaft Alignment

After putting about 1,000 miles on my new GH 31fs, I started hearing a bad sound when hitting the gas from a stopped position. Sound came from rear of rv and sounded like a driveshaft or rear differential issue. Metal on metal, and directly proportionate to my acceleration. It only occurred during initial acceleration and increased as I accelerated and then eventually went away as I got going. Unfortunately, I was on a big trip and not around a dealer, so I couldn't get it looked at right away. So I would accelerate very slowly from a stopped position and this seemed to keep it from happening.

Fast forward...I took it to the dealer for that main issue and a couple of other warranty issues. We went for a test drive (they drove), and they could hear it right away. The service manager said they would look at it, but that I would probably have to take it over to Ford to have them fix it under warranty. Got a call back from the Jayco dealer yesterday that my driveshaft was out of alignment and that they fixed it for me. They said normally they push this work back onto Ford, but since they were capable of doing it, they just went ahead and did it...saving me a big headache for picking up the RV and having to take it to Ford.

Not sure how a driveshaft comes out of alignment on such a new rig, but thankful dealer fixed it in only one day. Just wanted to share in case anyone else hears such a noise.

Happy Camping
2014 Jayco Jay Feather X23B-"Glampy"(Sold)
DW, DS, DDx2, and Bandit & Fletcher
Bikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 06:03 AM   #2

The vast majority of C's and Super C's (not sure about the new SENECA) have stretched chassis and drive shafts. Since they are not sure what floor plan and lengths will be sold they order the shorter chassis and have them modified as needed. Mor Ryde does or at least did the stretch for JAYCO. So it is possible for that issue to come up.
Old 05-07-2015, 06:06 AM   #3

Ahhh, thanks Grumpy
2014 Jayco Jay Feather X23B-"Glampy"(Sold)
DW, DS, DDx2, and Bandit & Fletcher
Bikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 09:04 AM   #4

I had this sort of thing happen once upon a time on a new GMC Suburban. Turned out to be because the rear transmission mounting bolts fell out. When ever the drive shaft was under torque the rear of the transmission would move laterally to the point the front universal would hit a shield around the exhaust.
Harvard is offline   Reply With Quote