Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-05-2016, 12:18 PM   #1

Driving across country

Left California yesterday, drove 800 miles in 13 hours headed to Middlebury, IN. Today is a sketchy day along I-80, rain, sleet and 50+ winds. The illuminated highway signs state "no light trailers, 50+ MPH winds". I have to say, these Seneca's drive pretty well in adverse conditions. Super excited to move up to a 2016 with air brakes, seats and the triple slide. Not sure how far we'll make it today in these winds...
LSA376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 03:23 PM   #2

Drive safe and have a good trip. Just returned from Texas and had heavy cross winds for two day. Refueled every 400 miles. Seneca performed well. Will try 500 miles between fuel stops on next trip.
Previous RVs: 3 truck campers and 2 fifth wheels
Love the Seneca. Toad 2018 Ford F-150
Mnwelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 03:54 PM   #3

Been going 500 minimum between fuel stops. Driving with the low fuel light on for hours... :-) The fuel float assemblies are slightly off... Those side winds are not fun.
Old 04-05-2016, 04:26 PM   #4

Congratulations on your new acquisition! Are you heading to IN to pick up your new unit?

Will be very interested in hearing about your comparison of the driving dynamics between your current hydraulic brake Seneca and the new air brake-equipped unit. Also the new units have the Bilstein shocks up front that other MH owners claim are much improved on their non-Jayco coaches compared to whatever shocks they had stock.

Not trying to preach here, but if you are unfamiliar with how air brakes operate I hope the dealer helps you gain some knowledge before you head off. I drove fire trucks for 33+ years with air brakes, and our department made sure all our firefighters had a basic grasp of how they worked because they do operate differently than hydraulic drakes. And air brakes are part of CDL tests for a reason, but few states require motorhome operators to have anything more than a regular operator's license and hence, no required air brake training/testing.

I'll get off my soapbox now! Happy and safe travels.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 08:50 AM   #5

Rob, was out there last week checking out the new unit. Love the TS layout. I agree with working knowledge of air brakes, kind of scary that anyone can get in them and drive off. I must say, the air brakes are much better than the hydraulic brakes in the '14 just based on the short drive I had in it. I like you had done a ton of modifications to our '14 of which I removed what I could. I left the Bilsteins on it which I just installed 6-months ago. Highly recommend, night and day difference in both ride and handling. The '16 air seats are a nice addition as well.
Old 04-06-2016, 09:44 AM   #6

We love the TS floorplan too, we initially were strongly considering the FS (with bunks) but then realized our "window" to travel with our grandsons will be shorter than we would hope. And they fit great in the TS anyway!

I am very interested in the front Bilsteins, where did you source them and (if you don't mind) how much did they set you back? We have about 10K in driving to do this year and I would like the "porpoising" to be reduced or eliminated.

Let us know how things go with the new coach. Safe and happy travels!
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 09:56 AM   #7

Although in the past I have driven too many trips at high mileage days, may I toss out the idea of it is the journey not the destination. If you are doing 600 to 800 mile days especially towing you have to be missing so many sights and fun stops. I like the full timers attitude get up have your coffee, breakfast break camp and try to find you next camp ground between 2 and 4 PM. If at all possible make time to enjoy as much of travels. Looking forward to the reports on new Seneca congrats on the upgrade.
Old skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 10:37 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
We love the TS floorplan too, we initially were strongly considering the FS (with bunks) but then realized our "window" to travel with our grandsons will be shorter than we would hope. And they fit great in the TS anyway!

I am very interested in the front Bilsteins, where did you source them and (if you don't mind) how much did they set you back? We have about 10K in driving to do this year and I would like the "porpoising" to be reduced or eliminated.

Let us know how things go with the new coach. Safe and happy travels!
Rob, I bought them at Hill Truck Sales in South Bend, IN on my trip last year to Jayco. 574-289-4065. They were around $500.00 for the pair, again a must have on the Seneca.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:43 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old skipper View Post
Although in the past I have driven too many trips at high mileage days, may I toss out the idea of it is the journey not the destination. If you are doing 600 to 800 mile days especially towing you have to be missing so many sights and fun stops. I like the full timers attitude get up have your coffee, breakfast break camp and try to find you next camp ground between 2 and 4 PM. If at all possible make time to enjoy as much of travels. Looking forward to the reports on new Seneca congrats on the upgrade.
I totally agree with you. I have a job in Cincinnati later this week, rather than flying I decided to drive and drop off the Seneca even though the replacement is a month out. When traveling with the family it's all about smelling the roses with many, frequent stops.

We did 922 miles yesterday had to stop last night due to heavy rains, wind and lightning. Couldn't see the road! Hoping to be to Jayco by 2PM today. Then off to work... By the way, at 75MPH the Seneca is still getting over 10MPG! Love these rigs.