Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-05-2017, 06:50 PM   #1

E-450 AC drain hose?

Really funky - sea shore - smell coming from the cab vents when the AC runs. Put it on "vent" and the smell is pretty much gone. I'm thinking maybe a clogged AC drain hose and there's mildew in there.

Ford is a 2015 E-450.

Can anyone point me in the general location of the hose?
I think they're usually on the firewall and I'm wondering if I should try to get to it from underneath? Or remove the doghouse?

thanks!
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 08:48 PM   #2

On my E450 drain is on passenger side behind wheel. the ac evaporator and heater core are in one housing behind dash will not get to it removing dog house. I had mud daubers clog mine once if it is really clogged it will wet carpet on passenger side floor.Up under the dash on passenger side is the air intake you can take a can of lysol spray it into air intake after you get enough in there you can shut off fan and let it sit for a while. I have squirted water up the drain tube to make sure it is clear, I used a hose with one of those small nozzles and low pressure I have used a coat hanger but you have to be careful and not go to far do not want to puncture heater core or evaporator.
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 08:59 PM   #3

Drain

I agree trying through the RF wheelhouse. If not, underneath it is. If I rememember correctly the tube becomes flat on the end looking like its crimped but it isn't. Usually finger pressure opens it up fine. If you open it up and it's dry, my next step would be to get some evaporator cleaner and clean the core and housing. The good stuff isn't cheep, but it works well. Good luck.
Mnxtrik8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 09:33 PM   #4

Thank you!

I plunked the RV back into storage for the week but will tackle this this coming weekend!
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 04:58 AM   #5

If your chassis is still within your 3-year Ford warranty you might try contacting a Ford dealer. They have serviced my Explorer once and my Focus twice for the "smelly vents" issue. Usually takes half a day and then is good for some time. Never cost anything other than our time.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote