Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-21-2015, 06:59 PM   #1

Easy filling the fresh water tank - 2005 24SS

Filling my 24SS was a "what were they thinking" procedure: open the bathroom sink cabinet door; kneel down before it with a screwdriver; unscrew the panel at the bottom of the cabinet; reach into a dark hole for two unmarked valves and set them to the "fill" position; go outside to hook up the water hose; turn on water till water comes out the vent tube; shut off water and remove hose; go back inside; kneel down in front of the cabinet; set the two unmarked valves to the "operate" position"; screw the cabinet panel back into position; close the cabinet door. Done!

I modified the system so all that is required is connecting the water hose; opening the valve next to the hose; running water till the vent tube overflows; close valve; shut off hose and remove it. Done! Now my wife is able and willing to fill the tank, and isn't cranky if I'm gone when the water runs out. I really like it, too

It's easy to do: the original valve on the fresh water tank drain line is replaced with a robust brass valve, and a female hose connector is added to the outside to allow connecting the water hose to the valve. That allows the tank to be filled through the drain line, yet does not interfere with draining the tank when needed. The pictures show the installation.

1) The new system mounted next to the hole for the original valve (hole is covered with foil tape)

2) The pieces used (left to right)
- female hose connector
- 1/2" pipe nipple about 4" long
- a nylon washer slid over the nipple
- another nylon washer
- PVC glue fitting that can slide over the pipe nipple (the white thing above the assembly)
- brass inline valve with 1/2" female pipe fittings
- barbed fitting from the original drain valve

3) The assembly mounted in a hole sized for the pipe nipple. The valve is screwed on till it's water tight AND it presses the nylon washers against the body panel.

Notes:

Each washer has some caulk on the surface against the body.

The white PVC fitting is shortened as needed to provide the correct spacing to allow a water tight seal and a mechanical pressure on the body to hold it all in place.
Attached Thumbnails
P1120846.jpg   100_6517.jpg   P1120850.jpg  
Eric6A is offline   Reply With Quote