Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-12-2015, 04:34 PM   #1

Electric Awning on Seneca

Hi Everyone--does anyone know if the electric Awning tilts on a 2015 Seneca RB and if so how that works? Thanks, Howard
Howard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 04:41 PM   #2

If it is the same as the class C Jayco, when fully opened you will see the push pin and hole slots for your desired awning "slant" position. It is a manual adjustment and you may need a step stool to safely adjust.
Cunning193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 04:55 PM   #3

Thanks. You forgot to tell me we also need a person over 6 feet tall. We can see the push pin and the holes but even with a step stool we can't reach it
Old 07-12-2015, 06:11 PM   #4

Got it!!! Thanks. Now for the next question--do you k ow if the Seneca Awning will auto retract in a bad storm. Soneone told me they thought it did.
Old 07-12-2015, 06:45 PM   #5

Good question. My 2015 31FS (class C) is not "Automatic" there is a switch on the inside that when pushed extends or retracts the awning. If there is an auto option out there I am unaware.
Cunning193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:23 AM   #6

I have a 2014 37TS and from the factory it will NOT retract automatically. It only came with a single switch, push in one direction for "Extend", the other for "Retract". And to get it to retract I had to hold the switch in the retract setting until it came all the way in. In that original configuration from Jayco you have no high wind protection.

However I installed Carefree's "Direct Response Electronics" setup in my Seneca to give me that protection. It also converts the system to "one-touch retract". Tap it in the "retract" direction and it puts itself away. No holding the switch down. It was about $93.00 through Amazon.com, and then a bit of work to get it in. Here is a link to the product: Amazon.com: Carefree (SR0093) 12V Direct Response Upgrade Kit: Automotive

I am handy and the install went great, but you need a tall stepladder to get up to the top front corner of the awning to run the wire and install the module in the awning head. You may wish to have it dealer-installed if you are not very "handy" or afraid of standing high off the ground.

Be advised this aftermarket setup is different than some O.E. installations in that this kit does not have any sensitivity settings. My understanding is that it is a "medium" setting, which has worked great for me so far.
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 10:38 AM   #7

Now for the $3,500 (which is the cost of a new electric awning installed) question. Do you have to reset the awning back to its original position before retracting it or can you retract while it is in the tilted position
Old 07-14-2015, 01:13 PM   #8

You absolutely can leave it in a "tilted" position and extend and/or retract the awning.

There is a caveat however, you cannot have the two ends set more than 3 "clicks" apart and then then try to retract it. More than 3 clicks difference can bind up the awning as it moves. If the awning is 12' long or less, Carefree says you must retract it with both arms set to the same position. I guess longer awnings must have more "give", hence the ability to have each end somewhat different yet still retract it.

I leave mine tilted at the lowest setting all the time for maximum shade, and have taken it in and out many, many times without incident.

Does your unit indeed have just one switch, and as such you have to hold in in the retract position the whole time during retraction?
Old 07-15-2015, 04:01 PM   #9

Yep we have the one switch that you have to hold to retract. Going to look in to installing a "weather sensing" awning
Old 07-15-2015, 09:30 PM   #10

You don't need an awning, just the electronics add-on, and then the system installed!

On my 37TS, the control panel (jacks, front slides, tank levels, generator, etc.) is right inside the entry door. Behind the panel was a chase that led to the top of the awning arm. So running the new wire for the Direct Response system was relatively easy. But for other floor plans I have no idea what it might take to route the required wiring.

Good luck!
Old 07-16-2015, 11:19 AM   #11

Had mine to far extended/unrolled one time and retracted it. It rolled up inside out and would not fully collapse. Thought it was broken then realized what happened.
Mr.Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 08:05 PM   #12

Electric awning

We have a 2016 jayco Seneca 37 TS.
Can you retract the awning in the tilted position
Softball24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 08:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softball24 View Post
We have a 2016 jayco Seneca 37 TS.
Can you retract the awning in the tilted position
As I mentioned earlier in this thread you can indeed retract the awning when it is tilted down PROVIDED the two ends are not more than three "clicks" different. If you drop one end all the way down you do need to raise it back up (at least some) before retracting. If memory serves my arms have six different positions.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Old 08-11-2021, 05:12 AM   #14

So my next question is this.. if you retract the awning in the lowest angle does it clear the slide or do you have to pull that slide in first
Old 08-11-2021, 05:18 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softball24 View Post
So my next question is this.. if you retract the awning in the lowest angle does it clear the slide or do you have to pull that slide in first
On my TS I leave the slide out. The awning does touch my kitchen slide but lifts off the slide just after the awning starts to retract. I've had my rig since new and it hasn't damaged the acylic fabric yet.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Old 08-11-2021, 07:42 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
On my TS I leave the slide out. The awning does touch my kitchen slide but lifts off the slide just after the awning starts to retract. I've had my rig since new and it hasn't damaged the acylic fabric yet.
This is how it is on my 2018 TS, I have it at about the mid way point on the adjustment holes.
Old 08-11-2021, 12:45 PM   #17

Thanks for all your advice.