Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-28-2016, 05:54 AM   #1

Electric Stairs Not Working

I own a 2015 Jayco MV29 class C camper. The electric stairs are not working. No movement when opening or closing the door. I have checked the fuses near the coach battery and they look ok. Is there somewhere else I should be checking, or just take it into the dealer for repair? Also can't find how to manually operate them. Is that possible? Thanks in advance for any help! That's a pretty big step for an old man like me!
scottshaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 08:02 AM   #2

I see you're in Pueblo West. I've camped down at the Lake many times (just once this year). Not sure what your issue is but I've had problems with my stairs from the get go. They go down ok, but will not retract without assistance. Have to use my foot to push them up ever time. If your's aren't moving at all that sounds like a different issue. I know there have been some other threads on this topic so if you haven't already, you might try searching this topic. Good luck!
Colorado Springs, CO
JDSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 08:28 AM   #3

I would also recommend searching YouTube. There are a bunch of very informative videos regarding maintenance and repair for these types of steps. If I recall on one of the videos, there was a simple plug to the motor that can come loose causing a similar problem.
2017 Ford Edge w/Blue Ox Setup
To Yosemite... and Beyond!
MrJackSprat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 11:40 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJackSprat View Post
I would also recommend searching YouTube. There are a bunch of very informative videos regarding maintenance and repair for these types of steps. If I recall on one of the videos, there was a simple plug to the motor that can come loose causing a similar problem.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 03:27 PM   #5

Since they won't retract or extend, could be as simple as the magnet switch on the door.
tom35758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 05:14 PM   #6

I just got back from RV repair for non-working steps. They took a hammer and tapped on the motor. It worked, motor was seized and needed help. TRY IT!
jhayes612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 06:40 AM   #7

I took my MV29 into the shop a couple of days ago and had them look at the stairs. They fixed the issue by undoing 3 bolts, pulling down the stair motor, pushing it back into place and retightening the bolts. The mechanic said that sometimes the motor in the stairs binds up and it just needs to be released from the bindage and realigned in the gears.
scottshaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 08:48 PM   #8

I know this is an old thread, but my gear assembly is gone. It makes that awful ratcheting sound. Looked up a great YouTube on replacing it, but I don’t know if there are different sized ones? How do I find out? I have a 31xl Redhawk.

Thanks.
CapeCodBunks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 05:33 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeCodBunks View Post
I know this is an old thread, but my gear assembly is gone. It makes that awful ratcheting sound. Looked up a great YouTube on replacing it, but I don’t know if there are different sized ones? How do I find out? I have a 31xl Redhawk.

Thanks.
I have watched many camping neighbors with step problems. Most were corroded connections which will require some electrical troubleshooting. If you post your rig's age it may help someone give you a start. You can call Jayco with the vin# and possibly get some info on who makes the mechanism if you are sure that is what the problem points to.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 06:40 AM   #10

Hey. Thanks for the reply. Shoot, I forgot the year, lol... it’s a 2015. I’m going to check the gear housing to see if the serial number or something is printed on it... I know it isn’t the relay or the motor, because they go out fine, but going in, I have to push them and when they retract and it gets to the end of the cycle, it makes that really loud ratcheting sound. It was the same in the video I watched he had the same problem, and it was the gears. Makes sense, because the teeth would be worn off at that spot.
CapeCodBunks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c, electric stairs, jayco mv29