Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-30-2016, 07:17 PM   #1

Electric steps

Where is the fuse or breaker for electric steps on a 2014 Jayco Greyhawk 29 MV?? Steps won't come down
rfcox364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 07:31 PM   #2

There is typically a fused circuit hot-wired to the coach batteries.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 01:30 AM   #3

I have the opposite problem. They won't stay down and I believe that I am correctly invoking the instructions. Could this be something other than operator error?

Kathleen
Livin' and lovin' Life!
tomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 05:05 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomahawk View Post
I have the opposite problem. They won't stay down and I believe that I am correctly invoking the instructions. Could this be something other than operator error?

Kathleen
Check the switch by the door. If it says "stairs on" that is your problem.
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 07:17 AM   #5

Looked for in line fuse with no avail. Calling Jayco today to find exact lication, if I can find someone that knows??
rfcox364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 09:46 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfcox364 View Post
Looked for in line fuse with no avail. Calling Jayco today to find exact lication, if I can find someone that knows??
You might find a fuse link under the steps when they are extended. And when you are down there you might consider disconnecting the linkage from the motor and ensuring the mechanics of the steps are working correctly by manually extending and retracting them.
Sometimes the motors go bad. They are inexpensive power window motors and only take about 15 minutes to change out.

P.S. Normally if you aren't not hearing a slight clicking at the motor when opening or closing the door, there's no power at the motor and it may be a fuse or ground wire connection.
Old 10-03-2016, 11:12 AM   #7

I must have forgotten something because I was able to operate the stairs for our first outing. If I have the stairs extended and turn the switch to OFF, the stairs retract and do not extend when door is opened. If the stairs are REtracted and I turn switch to OFF, then they stay retracted.

If the switch is ON, the stairs extend and retract as we open/close the door.

Suggestions?
Livin' and lovin' Life!
tomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 11:41 AM   #8

I think in my Grayhawk, Harvey the RV, there is a fuse box by the door..at least there is a box with a black cover...

Check there.
Old 10-03-2016, 12:36 PM   #9

Mine has a fuse under steps when extended
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 01:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomahawk View Post
I must have forgotten something because I was able to operate the stairs for our first outing. If I have the stairs extended and turn the switch to OFF, the stairs retract and do not extend when door is opened. If the stairs are REtracted and I turn switch to OFF, then they stay retracted.

If the switch is ON, the stairs extend and retract as we open/close the door.

Suggestions?
We have always used ours by opening the door to extend the steps, turn the switch off, and not turn the switch on until we are departing.
Of course in most cases no matter the switch or steps position, turning the ignition to on will also cause the steps to retract.

Turning the switch off with the door closed and the steps retracted can be very dangerous. As Kwikee used to place a big yellow sticker at the door that read "Look before you leap!"
My DW did that exact thing years ago on a previous motorhome, it was late, it was dark, I opened the door to step out and fell about two feet before landing on one heal. That hurt!
Old 10-04-2016, 07:39 AM   #11

On my 2015 31DS the scematics show two 5 amp inline fuse and they are physically located underneath the steps next to the motor. One fuse protects the circuit throught the "steps on/off" switch (should be connected to a white 16 guage wire) and the other protects the circuit from the chassis igintion system, (should be connected to a yellow 16 guage wire). Hope ths helps.
2013 Jeep Wrangler
Blue Ox Tow Package
Blog: https://mfalcontraveler.wordpress.com/
MFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 09:11 PM   #12

Never had a stair fuse blow. But I always thought things not powered thru the battery disconnect were fused behind the coach battery. My Greyhawk 31SS has several fuses back there. Hard to see and hard to get to, and they power things like the coach electric door lock, the Navi/audio system and quite possibly the step.
Bluesky46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 03:02 PM   #13

There is a fuse associated with the steps on my 2012 31FS behind the kick panel under the steering column. It's a blade type 4 amp. If it's blown the stairs won't come up. This is on mine. The reason it blew was the wire got punched by the emergency brake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TX_Arvee is offline   Reply With Quote