Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-13-2016, 01:08 PM   #1

Electrical protection for my Seneca

I have a 14 Seneca and need to purchase surge and electrical protection before its to late. I'm looking at the Progressive Industries PT50C 50 Amp unit. Any suggestions on this or what you think is the best unit for my MH.
I wish I could wire one that I could lock away in the compartment when in use but since I don't have any electrical knowledge I don't think I would want to do any re-wiring. Anyone with experience portable or hard wired I would like to hear from you.
Thanks
Rick-in-Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 01:37 PM   #2

I think having something to protect the electrical system is indeed wise, lots of "horror stories" out there about what can happen.

I have a Progressive Industries hard-wired unit I did install myself which has "caught" problems on several occasions. I would hope the the portable model offers the same levels of protection; but what it won't have is an interior display. That display is handy if you have a voltage sag in the campground (when everyone fires up their AC units) on a hot afternoon and it cuts out due to low voltage to prevent excessive current draw and possible damage. No running outside in the bunny slippers to look at the display to find out what's up!

For that reason (and theft-resistance) I prefer permanently installed units, but if you are not comfortable with working on line voltage electrical systems I would not recommend this being a first "project". The instructions were good, but in a 50-amp coach the large wires are somewhat challenging to deal with, especially if you are installing the unit in a confined space as I did. Mine is under the wardrobe in the rear of my Seneca. I have no clue what one might be charged to perform an installation, but I can guess it might be several hours of labor.

If you go portable I would just recommend being very diligent in using it, even if it is a monsoon outside when setting up! They protect nothing if laying in a compartment!
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 03:04 PM   #3

Here is a pic of my install in my Seneca. Plenty of room in the compartment with the cord reel. The 50amp wires were a little tough to work with but not to bad. It took me about a 1/2 hour or so.
Attached Thumbnails
Seneca surge protector.jpg  
Mr.Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 03:13 PM   #4

The portables can be locked to the post every easily with a small piece of chain, or close the lid and lock it. I personally have never had anyone talk about theirs "walking off".
Old 04-13-2016, 03:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Oz View Post
Here is a pic of my install in my Seneca. Plenty of room in the compartment with the cord reel. The 50amp wires were a little tough to work with but not to bad. It took me about a 1/2 hour or so.
Not as much room in the electrical reel compartment of a TS, it is rather narrow compared to yours. I wish I had that room, I would have put it in the compartment as compared to under my wardrobe.

Nice install though!
Old 04-13-2016, 04:49 PM   #6

I like the portable one because if it breaks, I'm not out of luck on my vacation. Just unplug it from the post and get on with it.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 05:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
I like the portable one because if it breaks, I'm not out of luck on my vacation. Just unplug it from the post and get on with it.
The hardwired PI units do have a bypass switch that can override certain parts of the protective circuits, but if you take a big surge it is possible to fry the whole unit. So Jopopsy's statement about a portable unit is true in that context.

Unless.......you get carried away like I did and use range cord plugs and receptacles in the wiring allowing me to also bypass my protector entirely in a matter of minutes. I'm sure it isn't practical on some smaller MHs due to space constraints, but on a Seneca room is not a big problem.
Old 04-14-2016, 06:13 PM   #8

So what is the verdict, should I go with portable or hardwired ?
Old 04-14-2016, 06:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick-in-Houston View Post
So what is the verdict, should I go with portable or hardwired ?
Obviously completely up to you. But a few "take-aways" are:

A portable unit is easy to use, and easy to remove should it fail while (hopefully) protecting your coach. No installation costs. Possibly vulnerable to theft, but there are steps one can take to reduce chances of losing it. Requires one to be diligent in its deployment, otherwise no protection. If there is a problem you have to go outside to check display (if unit has one).

Permanently installed units typically more expensive, especially if you factor in installation. If unit completely "fries" due to a problem it could leave you without any campground power, unless you have spent extra money (and installation costs) to put in plugs and receptacles to allow you to completely bypass an installed unit. It is always protecting coach from poor campground power without thinking about it, and many units have an interior display that can monitor power. Theft-proof, so long as they don't steal the whole coach!

I am able to work on my coach, so I went permanent and also installed plugs and receptacles allowing me to completely bypass my unit if it fails. I have what I believe is the "best of both worlds" solution. But it is the most expensive and labor-intensive up front.
Old 04-14-2016, 07:08 PM   #10

Robbby your the man but I don't understand what you mean installing additional plugs and outlets so that you are able to by pass it should it fail????
Old 04-14-2016, 07:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Robbby your the man but I don't understand what you mean installing additional plugs and outlets so that you are able to by pass it should it fail????
In order to give me the ability to completely bypass my EMS I installed a series of plugs and receptacles on my wiring. Completely hidden yet easy to access if I have a complete failure. Look in this post for more information: http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f5...ons-34474.html
Old 04-15-2016, 03:42 PM   #12

Robbbyr, i thought I saw the transfer switch (block) next to the reel in the electrical compartment? I have a 2014 TS.
Is this not the transfer switch?
Old 04-15-2016, 04:24 PM   #13

Quote:
Robbbyr, i thought I saw the transfer switch (block) next to the reel in the electrical compartment? I have a 2014 TS.
Is this not the transfer switch?
My transfer switch is located under the rear bedroom wardrobe, accessible by removing the two drawers under the wardrobe. In my unit it is a grey metal enclosure screwed to the floor with large wires coming into it from the shorepower cable and generator, and then one out to the load center (breaker box) which is located very close to the actual transfer switch. I put my EMS also on the floor very near the transfer switch.

Not certain what you are seeing in the compartment, any notations on it or a possible picture?
Old 04-15-2016, 06:03 PM   #14

i have and installed the Progressive Industries EMS-LCHW30. If you can strip sheathing off wire, and can match colors, you can install this. The plugs and receptacles will only benefit if you need to ship back for warrantee work. If I run into that situation, I will just use wire nuts in a j-box to remake connection after I pull the unit. oer the manual, the unit will shut off before damage occurs, and has a bypass function, too.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...iew-34723.html
Levinehikeski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 02:47 PM   #15

Mr. Oz how did the Progressive EMS wire up to the cord reel? Just purchased one and trying to get my ducks in a row be fore I dig into this.
Old 04-19-2016, 07:18 PM   #16

Another thing to consider... I have a portable 50 amp "Surge Guard" protector that I use on our Seneca. I plug the surge protector into the shore power cord in the power bay and use a 30' 50amp extension cord for the run to the power pedestal. That way the surge protector is locked up safe and sound and I save wear and tear on the shore line that came with the coach.
2014 Honda CR-V toad

anav8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 10:17 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by anav8or View Post
Another thing to consider... I have a portable 50 amp "Surge Guard" protector that I use on our Seneca. I plug the surge protector into the shore power cord in the power bay and use a 30' 50amp extension cord for the run to the power pedestal. That way the surge protector is locked up safe and sound and I save wear and tear on the shore line that came with the coach.
anav8or, I like the set up you describe here. I have a couple questions for you. Would a 50Amp Technology Research Voltage Regulator 10175 (made in China) fit in the power bay with your Surge Guard? I ask because the TH in my signature section is currently in production so I can't check if there would be room. The dimensions are: 24.5 x 17.5 x 13 inches and weighs a whopping 50 lbs.

Of course, there's the 50 Amp Autoformer which is made in the USA with dimensions of: 14.9 x 13.5 x 11.4 inches and weighs 36 lbs. however, one of the ratings off of Amazon specified the following possible disturbing claim to which I will be contacting the mfg. and inquiring about:

"Inside I discovered that it was a single phase 30A circuit wired to the split phase 50A whip and jumpered to the 50A Outlet...
The way it was wired only one of the two hot leads from the park meter was being used. They wired that single hot wire from the whip through their single phase (30A MAX) circuit and jumped it to both of the hot terminals on the 50A outlet on the Autoformer. Think of it like plugging your 50A RV into a 30A adapter and running it off of the park's 30A hookup. All the while there’s a perfectly working 50A hookup right there next to it.
No wonder I couldn't get the power I needed out of it when I ran both AC's—Piece of junk!
Thankfully I never actually paid for one of these units for myself (approximately $500.00). If I had, I would report the manufacturer for falsely advertising and selling a 30A unit as a 50A unit. They should really be ashamed of selling these things for such a high price tag so fraudulently."

I am such a perfectionist, I am my own worse enemy at times.
(2) Yamaha EF2000is Inverter Generators
House of Harview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 04:34 AM   #18

The shore line on our Seneca (36FK) is in one of the basement compartments. It is one of the smaller ones, but based on the dimensions you provided, it should fit in there with no problem. The Surge Guard unit I have isn't very big, so fitting both in there wouldn't be a problem. Of course, your TH power bay may be completely different...
2014 Honda CR-V toad

anav8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 08:18 AM   #19

Thanks anav8or, Yes, come to think of it, I ordered the TH without a gen. so, there will be room in that space with some innovative re-design for such an application.
(2) Yamaha EF2000is Inverter Generators
House of Harview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 09:06 AM   #20

Quote:
Mr. Oz how did the Progressive EMS wire up to the cord reel? Just purchased one and trying to get my ducks in a row be fore I dig into this.
You can see in the pic I put out our FS had plenty of room to work in. I just cut the cord coming out of the reel going into the coach and installed the unit. The wire was a bit stiff to work with but no big deal, just followed the instructions that came with the unit. Took about a 1/2 hour.
Mr.Oz is offline   Reply With Quote