Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-01-2015, 03:01 PM   #1

engine block heater

Hope all are staying warm this winter. Speaking of staying warm, does anyone keep your block heater plugged in 24/7 ? I was searching the books from Cummins that came with the motorhome and can't find any info on the heater. Would be nice to know the wattage or amps of the heater. Here around the Detroit area it's been below zero quite a lot. I plan to go to Louisville in about a week so I will plug it in a day before.
Old 03-01-2015, 03:12 PM   #2

I personally have not had a diesel MOTORHOME but have owned diesel trucks for over twenty years . The only time I ever plugged them in is it was going to get down in the single digit numbers and I was going to drive it or start it . Most start easy in the twentys. The truck I have now 6.7 L ford starts like a gasser. I live in Michigan and most of Feb this year was single digit #
Clayton4971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 05:58 PM   #3

With my F350 Diesel I only Plug it in an hour or two before I plan on driving. Only when it's really cold and doesn't want to start.
.......Roof Satellite Dish, Vent Covers, Bedroom Vent Fan,
.......Rear Reciever, 12V DC Outlets (6), 320W Solar & Controller,
.......4 Lifeline AGM Batteries (600 Ah @ 12V),
.......Stereo Upgraded, Interior Speaker Upgrade, Amp
Imnaha.Mansion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 07:38 PM   #4

I only plug ours in when the temps are below 20 and we're going to use it. My biggest concern is attracting critters to the warmth.
2014 Honda CR-V toad

anav8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 08:10 PM   #5

I have a timer in the outlet for the block heater. When I lived in SW lower MI, I'd have the timer turn on 2 hours before I planned on starting the engine whenever the temp was going down to freezing or below. If it was closer to 0, I'd set the timer for 3 hours before starting. Before I had the timer, I'd plug it in the night before, but that caused a significant increase in electrical usage $$$.

At the time, I was using Rotella 15w-40 oil (not a synthetic or blend). I used the block heater a lot because I wanted to make it easier on the engine, not because I had to use the block heater to start.

Here in AZ, I have used a 'Thermo Cube' that turns on when the air temp drops below 35* and shuts off when the air temp reaches 45*. I've used it a few times, both with and without the timer. Amazon: Thermo Cube Thermostatically Controlled Outlet - On at 35-Degrees/Off at 45-...
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote