Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-05-2016, 01:35 PM   #1

External Propane Connection

Tried to use the the quick connect adapter for the RV tank to use my propane cook stove, but could not get it to feed the stove. Looked under the rig and it seemed pretty straight forward. Did I miss something?
Fishman417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 01:39 PM   #2

on mine both the outdoor grille and the quick connect on camper have a valve you have to turn inline with the connector and if the connector isn't properly seated they wont open
Old 06-05-2016, 01:40 PM   #3

The pressure to the outside connection is already regulated down to 11 inches water column so if you have a regulator on your cook stove it won't give you enough gas to operate it. You would need to remove the regulator on the cook stove to use the outside connection. Depending in the make/model there may be a kit available to do that. Try google for it as there are several places that have the kits/parts you may need.
Old 06-08-2016, 11:45 AM   #4

What he said. I use it with my CampChef two burner stove with no issues.
2012 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid (our TOAD on a DEMCO Dolly)
DW, DSx2, DDx2 Catx2 Dog
Tampa Bay Area of FL
CarlB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 01:58 PM   #5

An aside from this: You can use an external propane tank and regulator connected backwards through the quick-disconnect as an extend-stay or emergent propane solution should you run out.

- James
jgerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 05:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingerlakes View Post
The pressure to the outside connection is already regulated down to 11 inches water column so if you have a regulator on your cook stove it won't give you enough gas to operate it. You would need to remove the regulator on the cook stove to use the outside connection. Depending in the make/model there may be a kit available to do that. Try google for it as there are several places that have the kits/parts you may need.

I went to a local propane shop to ask for an adapter to make a hose to connect a tabletop grill to the quick connect on my TT after removing the regulator. He went off on me of how bad of an idea that is and he hopes I would be criminally charged after burning all of the campers down. Needless to say, I didn't buy anything there. Still using 1lb propane bottles for my grill.
gocarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 06:09 PM   #7

I don't think your local propane shop technician understood what you were doing. i would suggest going elsewhere or building an adapter cable yourself from online resources.

face value: $.02
jgerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 02:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocarp View Post
I went to a local propane shop to ask for an adapter to make a hose to connect a tabletop grill to the quick connect on my TT after removing the regulator. He went off on me of how bad of an idea that is and he hopes I would be criminally charged after burning all of the campers down. Needless to say, I didn't buy anything there. Still using 1lb propane bottles for my grill.
Huh? Maybe he doesn't understand that the pressure from the RV is already down regulated. Those were harsh words he used. He needs to find employment elsewhere it sounds like.

JH
Tampa Bay
2016 Jayco Greyhawk 29ME
0and2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 09:10 PM   #9

Same problem with mine. Also had a "shock" when I attempted to connect the hose to the nipple. Ended up using a propane tank from that point on!

Any man can treat a lady right for one night, but it takes a great man to treat her right for the rest of her life.
GrayHawk51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 09:23 PM   #10

I adapted a Brinkman gill (from Home Depot) and a 2 burner stovetop (from Amazon) and have not had any problems with either one. I found the hoses and fittings on Amazon and found one ready made hose at Tractor Plus. We went with the Brinkman grill because it has 2 independent burners.

Charlie & Lizzie the Mini Dachshunds
2008 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 30.5 RLS
2015 F350 Lariet Crew Cab Long Bed 6.7 Diesel B&W Companion Hitch
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not.
Witt74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 09:24 PM   #11

I have a Camp Chef 2 burner stove. I found a 8' quick connect hose on Amazon specifically for that stove. There's no regulator attached as it utilizes the TT tank regulator. It works perfectly. The only issue is that sometimes you want the stove in a more practical area of the campsite depending on the layout. I bring a spare propane tank for just that reason

2005 Forest River Rockwood 2601 (Sold)
2011 Ford Expedition XLT (Sold)
2008 Jeep Wrangler (Just for fun!)
Nukeneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 09:26 PM   #12

Greyhawk51, if you got a shock from your rig, you should check you ground connections.

Old 06-10-2016, 09:34 PM   #13

Nukeneck, check at Tractor Supply, Home Depot, or Lowes. Any place that sells the propane shop/jobsite heaters may carry extension hoses for them. I have an 8 ft hose from Amazon and a 10 or 12ft hose from Tractor Supply. With both, I can get out from under the awing and a decent distance from the camper. This distance does not seem to affect the operating pressure to the grill.

Old 06-11-2016, 04:24 AM   #14
Site Team

I modified my Weber Q120 to work off the camper LP connection. I was able to get everything I needed from my old junked RVQ grill and one adapter from my rv dealer.

There are a number of threads on it here on JOF with pictures.

I sure hope you don't get in any trouble with that un-knowledgeable person at the propane supply. LOL
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 04:37 AM   #15

For some reason, I had little luck with 2 of my grills. After removing the regulators and making the physical connections, both grills reacted differently. The Coleman Perfect Flow didn't receive enough gas... the flame was nice and blue but nowhere near as large as when connected to the OEM regulator. I suspect it needs more than 11 water column. My second grill, a Martin portable, had more than enough flame, but it wasn't controllable using a needle valve. The OEM flow control was built into the regulator. I guess I'll just move one of the 20lbs tanks to where my grill(s) will be setup. There's advantages to that too...
Sergeum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 05:45 AM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergeum View Post
For some reason, I had little luck with 2 of my grills. After removing the regulators and making the physical connections, both grills reacted differently. The Coleman Perfect Flow didn't receive enough gas... the flame was nice and blue but nowhere near as large as when connected to the OEM regulator. I suspect it needs more than 11 water column. My second grill, a Martin portable, had more than enough flame, but it wasn't controllable using a needle valve. The OEM flow control was built into the regulator. I guess I'll just move one of the 20lbs tanks to where my grill(s) will be setup. There's advantages to that too...
I found a 10 lb tank at a garage sale that works perfectly for me. I have it set up so I can use either when the onboard connector is to far away.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote