Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-14-2015, 05:17 PM   #1

Fantastic Vent Cover

Good Day,

I am a big believer in putting covers over my Rigs fans and had Maxx Air Covers on both of my TTs. The constent source of fresh air and the ability to remove moisture are both immportant considerations in my books.

Our new Greyhawk has fans in the bathroom and the bedroom. The bathroom is the standard (crappy) RV exhaust fan with the manual control to raise and lower the cover. I had no trouble installing the MaxxAir II cover on that fan. That fan has limited value though as the full height bathroom door prevents air movement from the main cab area and you run into the challenges others have noted with pulling odours from the toilet.

My problem is with the 5000 Series Fantastic vent in the bedroom. It has automated wall controls and when you turn it on the lid automatically extends to it's full height which is about 1.5" higher then the Maxx Air cover. I have tried to find a munual for the vent without any luck to see if I can adjust how high it raises. Has anyone else encountered challenges with this vent? can you recommend a different cover that is tall enough to handle the existing range of motion?

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 01:16 AM   #2

I just installed the same covers on my 31fk. I had the same problem with the bedroom fan. I ended up just putting the knob in the manual position and cranking it open that way. I turn the fan on and off with the speed adjustment knob on the fan itself. How was the fit of the covers over your vents i ended up with a 1/4 to 1/2 gap between the roof it looks excessive to me but i wasnt sure since it was the first time i installed these.
Greyhawk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 02:52 AM   #3

Gap

Morning Greyhawk,

On my two TT's and the MH there was definetly a gap between the bottom of the MaxxAir and Roof. This was found both in ones I installed and those installed by the "experts". With the larger perimeter of the cover and the 1.5" rise of the vent surround it should be impossible for water to get into the vent. I certainly never experienced any problems and once the covers are on I keep the bathroom vent cracked almost full time to allow for fresh air flow. Even in the winter months I put a Tyvex cover on and then leave the vent cracked. I have not had a musty spring yet.

Old 07-15-2015, 04:58 AM   #4
Site Team

That is the way mine sit also.

You would not want them sitting on the roof for obvious reasons.

We still have to tilt them away from time to time and remove the one leaf that get in there and rattles.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 06:02 AM   #5

Assuming my drive shaft issue gets resolved properly by Ford, the unit I'm picking up is having covers installed by the dealer. I'll let you know which one they went with.
Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 02:34 AM   #6

Did some research

So it was a quiet shift at work tonight and I was able to research this matter a bit and found some answers on another forum. This info is not mine and I do not have the electrical knowledge to back it up... But it does make sense to me, and I did do some further reading which leads me to believe the following is accurate.

The lid in the Fantastic vent is operated by a DC Motor. The motors control board has an integrated "Stall Current Switch". When the lid hits an obstruction the maximum torque is reached and the motors amps increase, the logic board senses this and causes the motor to stop. This mechanism is used to stop both the up and down movement including when it is closed on the fan housing.

Assuming this is accurate... The Maxx Air II cover can be installed without fear of damaging the motor. Fantastic vent does have it's own cover, the Ultrabreeze, which is slightly taller and allows the cover to open further. But from what I could see even it does not allow for the full range of motion.

I will be sticking with the Maxx Air for a few reasons... I already bought it, my dealer does not carry the other brand and the Ultrabreeze install involves removing existing screws from the roof so you have to add the cost of a tube of sealant to your purchase price.

Old 07-16-2015, 03:54 AM   #7

I've had one on my motorhome and had no problems with it since 2008
moonraker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 06:02 AM   #8
Site Team

Thanks for that bit of info. It will help others who are worried about it.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote