Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-18-2015, 08:53 AM   #1

filling and using water

I recently purchased 2015 31FS Greyhawk body style C.
I went over the RV after purchase but unfortunately overwhelmed with info and cannot recall most of the info. I have been trying to read the book but cannot figure out how to get water to the sink. I was able to fill the tank. There are two dials to set with combos such as 1 and 6, 3 and 5, etc. For different thing such as city fill, normal, etc. I filled using city fill. Then I tried to put it on normal. Nothing happens except all the water drains out. The water pump light is on in the bathroom. I don't know if there is another switch, or a plug to plug. I don't hear anything sounding like a water pump doing anything. I filled it to 2/3 full. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
ekgammon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 09:30 AM   #2

First you've got to do a bit of research on how RV water systems work. They are not complicated, but can be a bit confusing at times. It is a compact and simplified version of the water system in your house.

1) Turn off the pump and water heater until the system is fully filled and purged of air.
2) The City Water connection and Fresh Water Tank Fill are completely different. Do not get them confused.
3) The City Water connection allows you to use pressurized water from an outside source (not your fresh water tank). It accepts a sold (generally non-leaking) connection with a garden hose.
4) The Fresh Water Tank Fill port allows you to pour water into the tank. It will not make any kind of solid connection.

Now, you have to fill your fresh water tank with Sanitizing Solution (a few tablespoons of chlorine bleach mixed with a tank of water).
Find the water pump and the 2 valves on the intake side. 1 will connect to a hose that is open to air. The other goes to the fresh water tank. Close the open-air one and open the one to the tank.
Find the water heater. Install the drain plug or close the drain valve. There are several configurations of winterizing bypasses. Look in the manual and set the water heater for 'summer' or 'non-bypassed' mode. From the settings of the valves, you want the water to go through, not around the water heater.
Close all faucets and low-point drains.
Turn on the water pump and listen to it. It will run and then slow down and eventually (2 minutes) shut off. During that time look for close any low point drains and faucets that were missed.
Gently crack open the furthest from the pump HOT WATER faucet. You will get LOTS of air, then foam and then finally (up to a minute) water. The water heater is now (mostly) purged. Close the faucet and wait for the pump to stop.
Gently crack open the furthest from the pump COLD WATER faucet. There will be a lot less air this time.
Go through the rest of your RV and purge the air from the remaining faucets, showers and toilet.
You'll have to do each one several times until there is no more foam and the pump responds to water stop/starts within a few seconds.
At that time the whole system is full of sanitizing solution. Turn off the pump and do nothing with water for several hours (possibly even overnight).
*** Several hours later ***
Open the low point drain on the fresh water tank to dump the remnants of the sanitizing solution.
Fill with fresh water and 1 tablespoon of bleach.
Go through the purging process again until you can't smell the chlorine.
Top up the fresh water, dump the grey and black and you're ready to camp.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 09:34 AM   #3

Did some digging and found this quit appropriate:

How to Sanitize Your RV Fresh Water System
My chlorine amounts are wayyyyyyyyy off!

And proud of it!
Old 05-18-2015, 09:37 AM   #4

Thank you very much! I was overwhelmed and frustrated with all the info and then by my inability to figure it out.
Old 05-18-2015, 09:44 AM   #5

I have the same model as you do. To sanitize the system draw in water to the fresh tank using a small bit of hose attached to the city water connection. Your RV should have come with one. Pump the bleach solution using the water pump into the Fresh tank, and follow the rest of the directions as per the RVGeeks Video cited above!
YouTube - PaleoHikerMD
DocHarvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 09:51 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHarvick View Post
... draw in water to the fresh tank using a small bit of hose attached to the city water connection. ...
I saw that same phrasing in the manual of my new unit. I haven't found a valve that connects the pressurized water system to the fresh water tank.

Can you explain how it's done? T-fitting?

And proud of it!
Old 05-18-2015, 10:00 AM   #7

The bleach solution will be introduced to the fresh water tank through the Fresh Water Inlet. Your RV has two hose inlets, a Fresh Water and a Black Tank Flush. Turn the dials to the Sanitize Tank setting and when you turn on the water pump, the solution will be drawn into the Fresh Tank. There is only one entrance to the fresh tank, or to the RV plumbing system, and that is the Fresh Water Inlet. Basically you can use the water pump to fill your fresh tank if you have a non-pressurized water source, and that pump action will also introduce the bleach solution for sanitizing purposes.
YouTube - PaleoHikerMD
DocHarvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 10:12 AM   #8

Your outside shower hose might be long enough to reach the city fill. And/or you can get an adaptor and thread a garden hose to it.
lodiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 11:27 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodiguy View Post
Your outside shower hose might be long enough to reach the city fill. And/or you can get an adaptor and thread a garden hose to it.
I'll have to check that. It just might be the best.

And proud of it!
Old 05-18-2015, 11:37 AM   #10

Thanks to all! I will print out the replies and give it a whirl! ( and watch videos)
Old 05-20-2015, 07:11 AM   #11

Pretty sure the 31FS doesnt have a place to pour water into the water tank. It only has a hose connection. By flipping the selector switches to city fill should fill the tank via the pressurized hose connection. In country fill mode you connect a a short hose (supplied by Jayco) and put it into a water bucket, the pump will then suck water from the bucket and fill the tank. (I have had to do this a few times). In NORMAL mode, you should be on the water pump.

What confuses me is you said all that happens is it pours out. You should have 3 drain valves; two inside the compartment (below the valve switches) and one on the outside. These need to be shut. Ensure all your faucets are turned off, even the shower outside. Then when you open a sink faucet the water pump should come on. (since you said the red water pump switch was in the ON position and glowing red)

Its pretty simple. If it is not working, something is wrong with the pump.
TX_Arvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 05:37 PM   #12

Good 101 on "City fill" versus "Country fill" and the short hose from Jayco

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_Arvee View Post
Pretty sure the 31FS doesnt have a place to pour water into the water tank. It only has a hose connection. By flipping the selector switches to city fill should fill the tank via the pressurized hose connection. In country fill mode you connect a a short hose (supplied by Jayco) and put it into a water bucket, the pump will then suck water from the bucket and fill the tank. (I have had to do this a few times). In NORMAL mode, you should be on the water pump.
I'm a newbie who is struggling with learning a lot of things about my Redhawk SE 27N - including the water pump system. Your statement, "...city fill should fill....via the pressured hose connection....," followed by, "In country fill mode....the pump will then suck.." gave me an "ah ha" moment. Thank you very much.
curtsnyder1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 05:55 PM   #13

Nice a five year old thread is still useful!

Welcome to the JOF, Curt!

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote