Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-17-2016, 06:36 AM   #1

Finding extra space in a Seneca FS

While looking for a place to put a power strip on the passenger side of the interior of our Seneca, I took down the fuzzy carpet slanted wall in the compartment immediately in front of the rear tires on the passenger side. I found a compartment area that goes all the way through to the driver's side, does not have exposure to the outside and was full of excess heater flexible duct piping and excess power cords going in all directions. None of this was secured and I think by strapping in place and reworking some quick and dirty initial installs, I've opened up a whole new area of storage.

Another area, I've found is the area around the frame work of the slide out battery compartment. The thought is to once again secure wiring harnesses better and create long storage areas.

I like to know how to get to areas and the backs of items. For when there is a problem, like a water pump that quits, you can explore and maybe replace with minimal impact to your fun.

For instance, while looking in area of the batteries, I realized I was looking at the back of the cabin steps. This is sheet metal and a tremendous source of radiant heat and cold coming right in to the cabin. Yes it has carpet over the metal, but there is no insulation Foam insulation glued to the back of that will certainly help reduce the transfer of heat.

Make your Seneca your own, by knowing your unit and what is behind that wall, that cabinet, or what happens when you unscrew that panel.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 09:07 AM   #2

Finished the exploration and creation of usable space in an area where flexible heating duct work and electrical cables of all types were just jammed. This is the compartment on the passenger side of a 37FS right in front of the rear wheels.

By removing the cover of the duct work in the main cabin and working at getting the flexible duct work out through the opening, I removed 14 inches of duct work that wasn't needed. This tightened up the duct work and made the flow of air more direct. I did the same thing in the bathroom and removed 39 inches of duct work. I would like to have done the same thing for the back bedroom floor duct, but need to do that by taking down the utility control panel on the driver's side behind the rear wheels and that will be for another day. I was able to shove most of that excess flexible duct back in to the area above the rear wheels.

I pulled all electrical cables snug, not yanking on them, and secured with plastic wire ties. Some of these are very stiff like Romax cable and bendable into shapes. Used these to hold flexible duct work in place.

Moved electrical outlet from middle of the compartment to the back wall and faced forward instead of facing directly out in the middle of the compartment space. I put this above a small bump out in the plastic tub extrusion of the compartment. This gives it protection and uses unusable space. Also added a 6 plug surge protector power strip that is closer to door and more accessable without moving everything in the compartment.

All total, in this one compartment I created 12 additional cubic feet of space. This is enough to hold 2 folding chairs, a folding table and a collapsable trash can.

Project is not complete, but I familiarized myself with a lot of the area. I have a couple of long wires to chase down. One is very unique and covered with a cloth material. Might go to furnace or refrigerator. Doesn't matter, there is about 4 feet more wire than needed and is twisted amongst other wires. When I eventually find an end of it, I can shorten and untangle.

All and all a successful project.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
Old 11-18-2016, 10:38 AM   #3

We have found the same to be true of the motorhomes we've had over the years. We enjoy getting to know each one inside and out to be ready if there's any issues.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 07:55 AM   #4

Decided to take a look at where the potable water tank is and I think I hopefully diverted a disaster. The tank was close to full and was putting pressure on the water access fittings and the piping on the bottom of the tank. The reason seemed to be poor support under the tank.

The best way to describe the shelf it is sitting on is an inverted pickup bed liner, that is wrapped around the M- 2's frame. Because of its limited lateral strength the weight of the water in the tank was bowing it down. Those water tanks are really pretty flexible and expand with the water weight.

Solution was to drain the tank and slide 2 layers of 1/2 inch OSB board under the tank getting the weight load spread back out to the edges of the inverted bed liner and hopefully carried more evenly.

Filling the tank now. I certainly don't think my added support will cause harm.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
Old 11-19-2016, 12:31 PM   #5

You should post pictures of your discoveries for us Visual learners..
Old 11-19-2016, 08:44 PM   #6

I agree having a pic would be handy ( especially of the water tank situation )

I too removed the carpet to create a pass through storage area.However , I suggest you be careful what you put there so as to not to block the slide mecanism ,my friend had a folding chair in his storage bays which got caught up in the slide mecanism and destroyed his doors by pushing them out when extracting his slides....
goofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 01:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimHolt View Post
You should post pictures of your discoveries for us Visual learners..
We did a similar thing... on a FK.

here is that thread: http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f5...age-38168.html
SloPoke is online now   Reply With Quote