Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-19-2011, 06:58 PM   #1

Fire in my new 29d

My wife, daughter and two granddaughters were on our way back from Disneyland this past week and while in the RV park there were two times we could smell an electrical fire...I thought is was somewhere in the bathroom but could not locate the source. We live in Phoenix and on the way home we were running the generator and the roof air as my wife sat next to the stove on the sofa with my daughter at the other end of the sofa. The two little girls were buckled up at the dining table. My wife exclaimed she could smell and electrical fire and my daughter observed smoke coming from the microwave oven. We were not using the oven. Our oldest granddaughter yelled that she saw fire. I quickly pulled over and everyone got out. I grabbed the fire-extinguisher and opened the oven door and put the flames out. What a mess!! Has anyone experienced a like situation? This is a 2011 Melbourne of which I traded my 2008 Aspect for. Never a problem with the Aspect...ever! Now we are afraid to get in the motorhome with anything on, ie; generator, propane for the refrig, etc.
Arizonaeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:06 PM   #2

Thank God you were able to get the fire out before too much damage was done and everyone is alright.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:36 PM   #3

Hey Arizonaeagle - hate to welcome you to the forum this way....but glad you all are safe. I am also a firefighter and can tell you that although rare, things like that do happen on occasion, but generally you have nothing to be scared about as most appliances are very safe and rarely have issues. Hopefully you have had your bad experience and can move on.

I assume since it is a 2011 you are under warranty. If it were me, I would call Jayco directly and explain what has happened and come to an agreement on how they are going to handle the problem. After any type of fire like that, I would want to have my unit checked out completely to make sure there was not any secondary damage.

Please keep us posted on what happens.

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 11:33 PM   #4

Arizonaeagle

Thanks for the responses. Everyone is fine and I spent Friday and Saturday cleaning all of the residue from the extingquisher off the ceiling, walls, upholstery, cabinets, you name it. It is now super clean inside and yes it is under warranty. This was its maiden voyage. Before leaving town I had to replace two clearance lights, one with paint overspray and tape, (inside of the lens), and one taillight, brakelight, and turnsignal, (all one bulb) because the wiring was too short to reach and would pull the bracket out of the housing when putting the lens back in. I just added a few inches of wire and it works fine. Everything else works like a champ and I am sure that Jayco will make the microwave/oven right! I will have them check all the wiring around the stove unit to see where the short was or whatever occurred.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:08 AM   #5

Please let us know how this works out and what is found. I to have a new 2011 Melbourne 29D. We are leaving on our first big trip Sunday.
This causes concern!
Tom Copeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:46 PM   #6

Arizonaeagle

I don't think you should be concerned at all. I just got back from the dealer and he ran the motorhome through all of the paces and everything electrical checked out, (voltage, etc; from both shore power and the generator. They took pictures and unplugged the microwave and said the cooktop only could be used (gas) but they think it was the microwave board. They were in the process of notifying Jayco to see what Jayco would do about it...this is an Apollo Microwave/Half time oven combo...and they felt there would be no problem getting a new one to replace this one. The reason it went up in flames is because when we are traveling, my wife keeps a rubber mat between the glass and the metal inside the microwave so it won't rattle, and that is what was burning. We are still perplexed why and how the fire started in the first place because we were going down the freeway with nothing on but the generator and the overhead air. However if the rubber mat wasn't there we don't know how long the sparks would have been flying before we observed smoke and flames. Probably just one in a million...so again, I wouldn't be too concerned, just be aware! Jerry
Old 06-20-2011, 03:09 PM   #7
Site Team

I`m glad to hear that it sounds like a simple switchout of the microwave, which should be taken care of quickly. BTW welcome to JOF!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 11:06 PM   #8

Ok...now that the fire is out....if you get a chance come on over to the new member forum and introduce yourself. Glad eveything is looking up.

Old 06-21-2011, 05:26 AM   #9

Beleive it or not I had a microwave that would turn on all by it self. I woke up one morning to the smell of smoke and it was the mirowave running with nothing in it a about 4:00 am with smoke just rolling out of it I could,nt even touch the sides of it to take it outside.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:37 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer View Post
Beleive it or not I had a microwave that would turn on all by it self. I woke up one morning to the smell of smoke and it was the mirowave running with nothing in it a about 4:00 am with smoke just rolling out of it I could,nt even touch the sides of it to take it outside.
Must be a common thing because I had the same thing happen several times with my home microwave, although it didn't smoke nor get nearly as hot. After 14 years of perfect operation, it decided to start doing it. Being the cheap bi...broad I am, I started unplugging it after each use. If I forgot to unplug it, sometime later in the day, it would start itself up (leprechauns)? Then, around six months later, it miraculously healed itself (or the leprechauns moved out). It has been behaving itself now for two years. I'm guessing it was a programming glitch (or leprechauns).
Old 06-21-2011, 04:48 PM   #11

Arizonaeagle

Thanks for the welcome and I will eventually get around to introducing myself. I am glad to hear I am not the only one with this problem, but I am disappointed that these kind of things even happen at all. It was scary to say the least, but all is working out okay for now!
Old 06-22-2011, 09:02 PM   #12

Wow! That is one heck of maiden voyage. We will be taking ours this coming Friday. We got this rig in late April and have learned a lot about it just "camping" in the driveway. One such weekend we tired our "pizza and a movie" night and used the microwave for the first time. It got VERY hot cooking the pizza and in fact at one point tripped our shore line power source hooked up in the garage. I would be interested in knowing what actually started the flame in your unit.

Since we bought our unit used, we had time to notice there was no fire extinguisher installed. We paid for that installation item at our "last chance to make right" 30 day warranty with the dealer. Now I wonder why it was missing in the first place and the microwave looked never used... maybe the same thing happened in our unit (Mel. 29C) as did in yours, Arizonaeagle. I also wonder if there is an "incident report" for this stuff on line?

Do let us know any updates and I will do the same. Take care and so glad you all were safe and you did the right thing without a panic.

Kate, Lynn and James
2009 Melbourne 29C
Happy Clam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:52 PM   #13

Arizonaeagle

Tomorrow will be a week since I took it back to the dealer for repair. They just umplugged it and said they would be in touch with Jayco. As of last Friday, June 24th, Jayco had not responded to the dealer so I am sitting here in limbo waiting and will be leaving for Colorado on the 6th of July...just over a week away. I guess I will be in Durango without a microwave and oven.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:44 AM   #14

I would be all over the dealer and demanding to get it right and also be taking the problem to Jayco. The dealer's seeming lack of interest in overcoming this serious warranty problem should also be noted! These are things a manufacture does not like to delay in dealing with. LET JAYCO KNOW
The Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:31 AM   #15

Not to say it is not Jayco causing the delay, but I have seen dealers use that tactic (saying it is Jacyco) when in fact the dealer is the cause of the delay. You are within your rights to call Jayco directly and ask the status. Have your VIN ready.