Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-17-2015, 10:53 AM   #1

First day in rental Redhawk

YAY! I survived the first night in the rental Redhawk (29XK)!

Not without problems, though. Of course!

Forgot the water heater also runs off the city power, so water was ice cold in the AM. Flipped the switch and decided to cook breakfast while waiting for the water to heat up.

Blew a circuit as the portable heater was on and I turned on the waffle maker. Took FOREVER to figure out where the breaker panel was. The owners manual needs a few pictures in there! My neighbor tried helping, but we couldn't find it. Finally had to call the guy at the rental place and he told me where it was.

Kind of a silly place to put it, if you ask me. At the end of the bed. Where, of course, my blankets were covering it, so we never saw it.

Okay, got that fixed and my breakfast fixed. Yeah, I'm now in a good mood.

Shower worked wonderfully! I added on a shower head from Ecocamel as it's supposed to give you more water pressure feeling than the standard one in the rig. Plus, the one in the rig doesn't have an on/off button. Shower was wonderful and nice and hot.

Then I discovered I was running off the tank of water and not the hook up to city water. I didn't move the levers on the water system to the proper locations. I did figure that out via the owner's manual, so I guess it is doing some good.

Levers are switched and the tank is now filling up.

The manual does say to flip the "water heater bypass value" to "normal" position. Heck if I know where that is! Any info in that regard would be helpful. Thanks

Right now I've got a view of the Columbia River at a campground just north of Portland. Very nice view and very quiet. Wind is really whipping along, though.

I hadn't planned on staying here, but I got the rig all loaded up on Wed and decided to leave Seattle early. The drive down did get me a bit used to driving. Holy Cow - I had no idea how noisy the thing would be while driving!!!

I also stopped at Camping World on the way down to purchase a vent cover foam thingie to block light coming through the vent in the bedroom. Holy Cow - that's a lot of light when you want to sleep in. I usually sleep in a very dark room. Last night was much better than the previous night (tested it out at home).

The rental place forgot to give me a cable to hookup for TV and I didn't realize that until yesterday afternoon when I pulled in. And, of course, we have 'em at home. Oh well, guess I get to purchase one somewhere.

Other than that, I hope I enjoy my home away from home for the next almost 4 weeks. Heading to places south of here.
Old 04-17-2015, 11:37 AM   #2

The first few experiences can be a steep learning curve. We have rented a few NH over the years. It is surprising how every pot, pan and what not, rattles as you cruise down the road. We placed paper plates and paper towels between all the pots and pans. I think we even placed a few dishtowels between things too.

When we were in Alaska over summer solstice, we used tinfoil on the roof vents and even some of the windows to darken them.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 11:46 AM   #3

Sounds like you're having fun.

Couple of things in no particular order :

- If you have hot water, the "water heater bypass valve" is already in the normal position.

- when leaving the RV park in the morning move the "levers" to the "normal" setting so that you have water on the road (using the water pump). To fill the fresh tank put them in "City Fill" and when hooked up in an RV park they should be on "City Features". Hopefully you didn't have the levers in "City Fill"as you were writing your post or you likely found out fairly quickly where the "overflow" tubes are . . .

- If your portable heater has a long enough cord use the plug that the microwave is plugged into (unplug the microwave) as it's likely on it's own circuit and you won't trip the breakers.

- Walmart is your friend on the road. Open late. Groceries and all the RV supplies you might need. oh and in a pinch you can overnight in their parking lot's (although always go in and ask if it's ok).

Visited in our 2011 Greyhawk 31DS
busguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 12:35 PM   #4

Sounds like fun. Also sounds like me trying to figure out my rig . Enjoy and have fun.
2014 Jayco Jay Feather X23B-"Glampy"(Sold)
DW, DS, DDx2, and Bandit & Fletcher
Bikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 04:06 AM   #5

"The manual does say to flip the "water heater bypass value" to "normal" position. Heck if I know where that is! Any info in that regard would be helpful. "

I had the same issue on Friday while flushing/sanitizing the water system on my GH but I found it. My HWH is located below the fridge in my GH 31ss, so there is a cabinet door below the fridge, just open up cabinet doors or remove panels until you can see the HWH from the interior. I just have to open the cabinet door and you'll see the tank with styro insulation and the valve set up just like the pic in the manual.
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote