Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-15-2016, 08:45 AM   #11
You mentioned Wyoming, which perked me up. I know everyone goes to Yellowstone (which last year had its highest tourist attendance ever - this year will be more). We live near Flaming Gorge Reservoir, and one of the most beautiful places on earth is called Sheep Creek Geological Area. You won't be sorry you went there. It's in Ashley National Forest and is actually in Utah but right over the border. The rocks are breathtaking, and the Uinta Mountains are awesome. It's in a relatively isolated area with lots of dry camping options available to you. If you have just a day to delve from the beaten path, try it!

2017 Melbourne 24k - 2003 Jeep Wrangler
2013 Premier 19FBPR; 2013 Rpod 177 HRE
2011 Aliner Sport; 2008 Little Guy 5-Wide
1980 Shasta 21; 1981 Coleman Tent Trailer
1978 VW Westfalia
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 09:01 AM   #12
Originally Posted by Charlene20 View Post
headed west for 3 week road trip in a few weeks. Just curious what all I should be aware of or know or do before I head out? This will be my first real trip. Driving Redhawk XD and very excited but nervous. Spare tire or no??
Our first experience with the Greyhawk 29MV was in Camp Driveway. We tried two days & nights at boondocking. Then recharged the battery, and three days and nights at camping (in the driveway). We learned a lot about what we had missing. The advantage to our experience was the cool month of March.

Our first road experience was seven days in Kerrville, TX in April. The trip went on without a hitch.....

Wilson Boudreaux
From Cajun Country
Jayco 2016 Grey Hawk 29MV Champagne
Toad - '16 Subaru Forester (Pearl White - manual transmission)
Blue Ox (everything) for the TOAD
Boudreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 09:20 AM   #13
If it's a Diesel then carry spare filters. Sometimes finding filters for your TV can be a PITA in remote locations. Also agree on fluids but would add tranny fluid to the list that too can be hard to locate for specific types. It's not just ATF any longer. Same with coolants.

Other than that agree with above but would add a jack, gloves and something to lay on. Definitely a spare tire. If it's a Sunday and you loose one it could be Tuesday before your moving again. Just my 2 cents.

I subscribe to the Boy Scout motto of always be prepared. It has served me well over the years and gotten me out of some jams. Nothing like being stuck and having to rely on someone else 100%.

Odds are you won't need it, but you will enjoy your trip more knowing you got it covered. You can't plan for it all, but carrying the basics to limp along helps.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 11:19 AM   #14
I took an extra 5 gallons of fuel in a can along when we went to California and it came in handy a few times! Sometimes gas stations are far apart!
2016 Northpoint 377rlbh
2016 Chevy 3500HD LTZ Diesel
Pullrite Super Glide
Beautiful Wife and Beautiful 3 YO Daughter
Kahoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 12:46 PM   #15
We did our first outing in late April...yes, in the rain. We only went a couple of days and never got outside. The weather was cold...near freezing. But, we were able to work out the details. Made a couple of calls to our dealership service center just to make sure we were on target. We had no issues, it was so much fun we didn't care it was raining. We have only been out four times but glad we took that first trip- short distance, close to my brother so we could hang with him if anything went wrong. Just make sure you don't guess on anything. After that windy, rainy trip, we had the tires checked. Truly made a difference to correct those once we had it loaded. We also learned that it drove better and made no difference in gas mileage when we filled the fresh water tank ⅔ full. I am not one to give advice as we have never done this before but as newbies, we are loving it. Like us, you will learn as you go. Good Luck!!!!!!!

CDandCJandthedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 12:49 PM   #16
Site Team
An old guy once gave me a great tip. He said to always carry a cardboard box, broken down flat to use to lie or kneel on just in case. It has come in handy on many occasions.
2011 351RLTS Eagle, Mor/Ryde suspension & pin box
06 F350 Lariat PSD, SRW, LB, CC, EGR delete kit, 16K DrawTite hitch, Timbrens, TST TPMS

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 02:15 PM   #17
Yes, we already do that...we haul our car. The only way to go!
CDandCJandthedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 02:30 PM   #18
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
An old guy once gave me a great tip. He said to always carry a cardboard box, broken down flat to use to lie or kneel on just in case. It has come in handy on many occasions.
When and if you get older get a 4 pack of minicell workshop flooring. It fits together like a puzzle.

We have a stack of them just in case....

2012 Honda Ridgeline
2016 195 RB.. 10,500 miles under tires as of today.
Been down many a dirt road in the west. We go where not too many rv'ers go.
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote